Have you checked on your folks lately?

This is a discussion on Have you checked on your folks lately? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My folks are 82 and 83, very independent but time is catching up to them sadly. I found that I got older and hopefully wiser ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Have you checked on your folks lately?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My folks are 82 and 83, very independent but time is catching up to them sadly. I found that I got older and hopefully wiser I appreciate them ( and family as a whole) more than I ever did when younger. I tell my kids they need to make extra time to see them because they will regret it when they are gone. Also, they turned out to really know more than me, something that took many years to realize.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Kapnketel - Reminds me of the following quote.

Samuel Clemens once said, "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

:)
    msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.

My dad's gone, I check on my mom several times a week, we go to church on Sunday, and out to eat on Thursday, I take her to the doctor's when she needs to go, and help her take care of her house. She's 88.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Definitely time to stir up the 'gator pond'...gators gotta' eat, too!
    The 'scum' that would do this need a 10-minute trial, and a real slow day at the pond.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Ya know, I hear you... but the amazing thing to me is that we now live longer than we were designed to live... our teeth, for example, have a "planned obsolescence" of about 40 years, less if we don't take care of them, as most people didn't before cars, and lawnmowers, and steaks from farm raised animals.

Life expectancy has increased ~100 percent in this country since the 1800s, just 300 years ago. So, with all the pollution from the industrial age to the current day... we have doubled our life span... I'm sure it would be more if we didn't have all that pollution... but in a way, it's a zero sum game... without all that pollution, we wouldn't have had the advances that allow us to live so long. And beside, if we all lived longer, there wouldn't be enough people to pay my Social Security... or, more accurately, there would be too many seniors collecting, crashing the system sooner.
    I'm going to lose my teeth?
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I'm currently living with my grandpa, since my grandmother passed away two days before Christmas, and we didn't want him to be alone...I moved in that night. He's in really good health for his age, and still works around the place like he was half his age. He lives on the outskirts of the suburbs and have a pond and two fields and a huge barn and lives in a log cabin, so I really don't mind lol. My parents are only in their fifties, but they live next door to grandpa (and me, for now) so I regularly check on them!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    I participate in a ministry at my church where we call all of the old ladies, widows and single moms on or about the first of every month. On occasion we shovel snow, repair roofs, fix something electrical or just pray with them.

Sometimes the little old ladies who live alone just want someone to talk to.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I'm currently living with my grandpa, since my grandmother passed away two days before Christmas, and we didn't want him to be alone...I moved in that night. He's in really good health for his age, and still works around the place like he was half his age. He lives on the outskirts of the suburbs and have a pond and two fields and a huge barn and lives in a log cabin, so I really don't mind lol. My parents are only in their fifties, but they live next door to grandpa (and me, for now) so I regularly check on them!
    That's how it used to be when the world was a better place. Good for you!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    It says a lot about society the way children, women, and the elderly are treated. I have witnessed a decline in personal responsibility as the state controls more of our choices. Children are being raised and indoctrinated outside of the family. Women are made to feel family life is beneath them. And instead of respecting and revering our elders, we warehouse them in nursing homes.

As a result, our children are educationally impoverished, our family life lacks nurturing, and the state takes away our savings and inheritance through expensive care. In a few short generations, we have lost sentient thought, empathy or compassion, and our wealth. It is heartwarming and reassuring to read these posts. I pray we can inspire others to strengthen family values, to include extended families, neighbors, communities, nations, and world.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's how it used to be when the world was a better place. Good for you!
    As a Canadian, I'm happy anytime someone figures out a solution other than 'ice floes'.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

I visit my folks about 3 times a week and see them on Sunday for church. I only like 2 miles down so I'm never far away.

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links