Have you checked on your folks lately?

This is a discussion on Have you checked on your folks lately? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How 'bout that nice elderly couple down the street, in the apartment across the way? Do you know of any old folks that don't have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Have you checked on your folks lately?

Have you checked on your folks lately?

How 'bout that nice elderly couple down the street, in the apartment across the way? Do you know of any old folks that don't have anybody in state to look out for 'em?

Well, we're losing what has been called "the greatest generation." These are the folks that saw WWII some of them may have fought in it...

Like the cop says at the end of this article... "...to protect kids and old folks."

Some lib broad wrote a book "It takes a village" You know who she is.. so I won't say her name... but the fact is, it does take a village... to look out after kids, and old folks...

This topic is about looking out for the old folks... If you know anyone who fits the category, spend a few minutes out of your life and check on 'em.

This is why:

Elderly couple severely beaten
    Stubborn likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hope they catch these depraved individuals.

We're lucky to have a two of our kids live in the area. They check up on us every couple of months.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

We check on our neighbor about 1/4 mile away. She lives on a farm and is frail. 82 years old. Her family visits every other week. My wife or I will have coffee with her a few times a week just to see how she is doing. We plow out her driveway in case of an emergency EMS can get through.

VIP Member
    My 79 yr-old dad is upstairs working on his taxes. My mom is at their house, about a block away.

There was a time when I lived abroad and did my own thing. I'm staying close to home these days.

The major risk to elderly people is age-related degeneration and age-related disease. Those are the evils we should be fighting against. The difference between a senior being accosted into brain-damage and age-related dementia is that the second thing happens 1000x more often, and causes just as much suffering. The low-hanging fruit, to buy time, is diet and air-pollution. (Air-pollution can obviously cause disease as a long-term side-effect, but it's also associated as being the proximate cause of death a terrific number of times).

I'm all for protecting vulnerable loved ones from thugs, but if your goal is to save their lives (instead of just stopping evil people from doing directly evil things) then diet, air quality, and medical research rate are the most important things. I hope you can meditate on that, "Am I more bothered by the fact that they died or by the fact that bad people did it? Is causing air pollution (especially when produced due to vanity or laziness), a known cause-of-death, similar to beating an elderly couple in order to afford nice shoes, because you're too lazy to work for them?"
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My folks moved to within a few miles of my brother, my dad has trouble with the altitude. I am thankful my brother and his wife are there. Honor your father and mother as best you can.

I like what one of the officers said at the end of the article. "One officer told KRMG, "This situation is all hands on deck." He added, "Most of us get in this business to protect kids and old folks.""

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    The major risk to elderly people is age-related degeneration and age-related disease. Those are the evils we should be fighting against. The difference between a senior being accosted into brain-damage and age-related dementia is that the second thing happens 1000x more often, and causes just as much suffering. The low-hanging fruit, to buy time, is diet and air-pollution. (Air-pollution can obviously cause disease as a long-term side-effect, but it's also associated as being the proximate cause of death a terrific number of times).

I'm all for protecting vulnerable loved ones from thugs, but if your goal is to save their lives (instead of just stopping evil people from doing directly evil things) then diet, air quality, and medical research rate are the most important things. I hope you can meditate on that, "Am I more bothered by the fact that they died or by the fact that bad people did it? Is causing air pollution (especially when produced due to vanity), a known cause-of-death, similar to beating an elderly couple in order to afford nice shoes?"
    True enough perhaps... but TODAY, right now, we can check on our neighbors.

And really, that is the least we can do. In the short term, we cannot give them pure air, nor reverse the effects of a life long diet. We can, however, make sure they're okay... as okay as they can be, today.
    MleeC and Olduser like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    How 'bout that nice elderly couple down the street, in the apartment across the way? Do you know of any old folks that don't have anybody in state to look out for 'em?

Well, we're losing what has been called "the greatest generation." These are the folks that saw WWII some of them may have fought in it...

Like the cop says at the end of this article... "...to protect kids and old folks."

Some lib broad wrote a book "It takes a village" You know who she is.. so I won't say her name... but the fact is, it does take a village... to look out after kids, and old folks...

This topic is about looking out for the old folks... If you know anyone who fits the category, spend a few minutes out of your life and check on 'em.

This is why:

Thank you for posting that. I have a 91 y.o. neighbor, and though I am "officially" an old dude too, she has 20 years on me.
    We keep keys to her home, phone numbers to her children, and are on her list of folks that the alarm company calls if there is a problem. There are some much younger folks on our block who also look after her; they do more than I actually.
    She could not live alone if not for her (and my) neighbors.

And yes, she is of that greatest generation. Her husband served as an officer in WWII.
    Last edited by Hopyard; March 15th, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: minor grammar fix
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    We check on our neighbor about 1/4 mile away. She lives on a farm and is frail. 82 years old. Her family visits every other week. My wife or I will have coffee with her a few times a week just to see how she is doing. We plow out her driveway in case of an emergency EMS can get through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I have a 91 y.o. neighbor, and though I am official an old dude too, she has 20 years on me.
    We keep keys to her home, phone numbers to her children, and are on her list of folks that the alarm company calls if there is a problem. There are some much younger folks on our block who also look after her; do more than I actually.
    She could not live alone if not for her (and my) neighbors.

And yes, she is of that greatest generation. Her husband served as an officer in WWII.
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Good on you guys, and your neighbors.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

True enough perhaps... but TODAY, right now, we can check on our neighbors.

And really, that is the least we can do. In the short term, we cannot give them pure air, nor reverse the effects of a life long diet. We can, however, make sure they're okay... as okay as they can be, today.
    Yep, today, check on them. But just remember the true killer the next time you're choosing between a big steak or the Heart Foundation charity box, or the next time you're tempted to idle your car a bit extra on a cold morning, take a diesel truck into rush-hour traffic, or mow your backyard as often as your front. If it's out of vanity, laziness, or selfishness, it's going to help kill people for the same reason bad guys do.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Yep, today, check on them. But just remember the true killer the next time you're choosing between a big steak or the Heart Foundation charity box, or the next time you're tempted to idle your car a bit extra on a cold morning, take a diesel truck into rush-hour traffic, or mow your backyard as often as your front. If it's out of vanity, laziness, or selfishness, it's going to help kill people for the same reason bad guys do.
    Ya know, I hear you... but the amazing thing to me is that we now live longer than we were designed to live... our teeth, for example, have a "planned obsolescence" of about 40 years, less if we don't take care of them, as most people didn't before cars, and lawnmowers, and steaks from farm raised animals.

Life expectancy has increased ~100 percent in this country since the 1800s, just 300 years ago. So, with all the pollution from the industrial age to the current day... we have doubled our life span... I'm sure it would be more if we didn't have all that pollution... but in a way, it's a zero sum game... without all that pollution, we wouldn't have had the advances that allow us to live so long. And beside, if we all lived longer, there wouldn't be enough people to pay my Social Security... or, more accurately, there would be too many seniors collecting, crashing the system sooner.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

True, the pollution produced while engaging in activities designed to promote progress is probably a net-benefit, despite the associated risks. That's why I was focusing on laziness, selfishness, and vanity. ;) There's a difference between driving across town to get fancy shoes and driving across town to get to work. I'm ... not sure how it applies to driving across town to your job selling fancy shoes. I guess you can offset your damages if you're intentionally contributing to areas that will sufficiently offset the damage.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar

This is why:

They ARE the greatest generation, they grew up in the "Great Depression", they served in WWII and quite frankly saved the world. The ones who weren't overseas stayed here and dealt with rationing of everything from gasoline to soap to coffee. The women worked in factories for the first time in history, and bought "War Bonds" with every spare dime they had.
    Can you imagine todays generation of whiners having to deal with rationing. That generation saw the infancy of flight right up to men on the moon, and were responsible for the technology that acheived it.

We owe that generation far more than could ever be repaid.

oakchas and msgt/ret like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    google earth shows them to be still at their last known address--Bushnell in Fl
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    They ARE the greatest generation, they grew up in the "Great Depression", they served in WWII and quite frankly saved the world. The ones who weren't overseas stayed here and dealt with rationing of everything from gasoline to soap to coffee. Can you imagine todays generation of whiners having to deal with rationing. That generation saw the infancy of flight right up to men on the moon, and were responsible for the technology that acheived it.

We owe that generation far more than could ever be repaid...
    So true. I was reading an article the other day regarding the baby-boomer generation (me) on the whole has saved very little for retirement, and are very much reliant on inheritance. The kids of the greatest generation are retiring on the money saved by folks who rationed everything.
    Stubborn, msgt/ret and Pistology like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links