Need help picking out a 4wd SUV or Truck.

This is a discussion on Need help picking out a 4wd SUV or Truck. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking to buy a new vehicle. I actually am in my research phase and will not buy until my wife's 4runner is paid ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need help picking out a 4wd SUV or Truck.

I am looking to buy a new vehicle. I actually am in my research phase and will not buy until my wife's 4runner is paid off which will be at the end of 2012.

My first question is this.
    Does anyone know of any truck/suv that has a 2wd, AWD and a 4WD mode (part time)?
    I want to be able to drive in 2wd mode most of the time, if the weather gets bad I want to be able to put it in AWD, and then if I have to go off road or drive in really deep or slippery surfaces, I would like to be able to lock the center differential.

I know the 4th Gen 4runner V6 4runner had this but they did away with it on the new 5th gen ones probably due to cost.
    The Ford F-150 Lariat and above have this but that truck would be out of my price range.
    The Suzuki SX4 and Grand Vitara also offer this but I wouldn't buy a Suzuki.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee looks like their system doesn't have a 2wd mode but is just full time 4wd/awd but they do have the Select Terrain system which I think is cool. I think the auto mode is like awd and the snow mode locks it 50/50.

Requirements:
    1)Prefer a truck, then an SUV, followed by a Crossover.
    2) Has to be $26k or under after negotiations and rebates
    3) Has to be reliable
    4) Prefer the 4wd "multi" mode listed above

Thanks in advance for the help.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    If you're looking for a somewhat affordable truck, try looking into a Tacoma. Maybe an FJ Cruiser. I don't know why, but I like them.

Other than that... I don't really know. I'm more of a Honda guy lately- I have a couple Honda cars and I love them; can't beat the fuel mileage, or the longevity.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    If you're looking for a somewhat affordable truck, try looking into a Tacoma. Maybe an FJ Cruiser. I don't know why, but I like them.

Other than that... I don't really know. I'm more of a Honda guy lately- I have a couple Honda cars and I love them; can't beat the fuel mileage, or the longevity.
    I like the Tacoma but this generation seems dated and I don't know when they are redesigning. The FJ I think is cool but only 2 doors and I think they are discontinued.

I like Honda reliabililty so I will check them out also. Thanks

New Grand Cherokees are very nice.... if you can afford 'em.

The amount of electronic controls available (for off-road/adverse conditions) are staggering.

Wrangler Rubicon has front and rear locking diffs and electronic sway bar disconnect.

The newest Ram pickup with the NV243 transfer case has 2, 4hi, 4lo, and neutral ranges;

with the BW44-44 you get 2hi, 4auto, 4lock, neutral and 4lo.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

My silverado has 2 wheel, 4 wheel, high and low, and an auto 4 wheel. The auto 4 wheel is good for driving on a icey highway. All of these are electonically controled. I would try to stay away from the RAM. They tend to go through tranny's and rear ends like a fat kid goes through candy. If you notice that life time warranty didnt stay around long. My cousin had one, its had 3 transmissions so far and 1 rear end. They also arent known for their gas mileage. The fords are really nice. Always remember to buy at the end of the year. In November of last year, I got my silverado for 9500 off retail, it was cheaper than a lot of the used trucks. It already had a year of the warranty but I'd rather have the cheaper price. I dont know much about any SUV's. Happy hunting for your next pickup.

I'm sure you could find an F-150 with the 4 wheel drive setup you want for under 26K, it just won't have all the bells and whistles is all. I have a rather bland F-250 and it even has manual lockout hubs on the front! Not only can I disengage the 4x4 from the cab, but I can then get out and unlock the front axels from the front drive assembly lowering rolling resistance even more.

How about a barely used truck?
    Cook74 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    My silverado has 2 wheel, 4 wheel, high and low, and an auto 4 wheel. The auto 4 wheel is good for driving on a icey highway. All of these are electonically controled.
    My Tahoe (& Yukon, Suburban, etc..) have the same system. I use 2wd for most driving, Auto when it's wet or may be icy, 4wd hi & low when it's needed full time.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Really love my 2010 Tacoma. Center diff doesn't lock, but electronic traction control won't allow for all the power to go to the front or back. I've gotten it into some sticky stuff, and always got it out. Mine is a double cab long bed 4wd with the SR5 package, so it was a little more than you indicated, but it can be had for less. Love this one and my previous Taco.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I like the Tacoma but this generation seems dated and I don't know when they are redesigning. The FJ I think is cool but only 2 doors and I think they are discontinued.

I like Honda reliabililty so I will check them out also. Thanks
    FJs are two full doors, two 'half doors' and a hatch on the back. They call it a 5 door. I, for some reason, like them- all terrain tires, manual transmission...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've never driven an FJ, but I've heard they're quite capable vehicles. I'm a Jeep guy myself, but it sounds like you're looking for something with a little more storage space than a Wrangler. If not though, I'll make that my recommendation. I've gotten into some pretty hairy situations and it's never failed me. 4' snow drifts, 2' deep flowing water and mud puddles of unknown depth have all been conquered. Trails that a Hummer would never make it down, just because they're too big, and hills that I was worried were going to be steep enough that I'd flip the Jeep backwards. And in 4WD low, still enough power to pull an F-350 hauling a Bobcat on a 14' trailer uphill off a sheet of ice.

Just sayin'.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I second the F150. Only pickup brand that still has manual locking hubs in case the in cab 4WD electric lock up (and they do). At least you have the option to over ride that with manual locking hubs. And I would certainly look at a F250 used is just fine. A diesel is even better if you plan to keep her for a while and maybe someday get something that needs to be towed. I'm very happy with my F350 7.3 diesel super cab. I can go into 4WD high and low and 2WD by a knob in the cab or if I have been off road and have a lot of mud in the wheels, I can manually lock out the front wheels and go home, rinse out the front wheels and be able to re-engage the electric knob control for 4WD or 2WD on the fly...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    My silverado has 2 wheel, 4 wheel, high and low, and an auto 4 wheel. The auto 4 wheel is good for driving on a icey highway. All of these are electonically controled. I would try to stay away from the RAM. They tend to go through tranny's and rear ends like a fat kid goes through candy. If you notice that life time warranty didnt stay around long. My cousin had one, its had 3 transmissions so far and 1 rear end. They also arent known for their gas mileage. The fords are really nice. Always remember to buy at the end of the year. In November of last year, I got my silverado for 9500 off retail, it was cheaper than a lot of the used trucks. It already had a year of the warranty but I'd rather have the cheaper price. I dont know much about any SUV's. Happy hunting for your next pickup.
    My Brother in law has a new silverado 2wd and it is really nice. Thanks for the heads up that I can get those 4wd options with Silverado. Ford is my first choice for truck but Silverados would be my 2nd for full sized trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I'm sure you could find an F-150 with the 4 wheel drive setup you want for under 26K, it just won't have all the bells and whistles is all. I have a rather bland F-250 and it even has manual lockout hubs on the front! Not only can I disengage the 4x4 from the cab, but I can then get out and unlock the front axels from the front drive assembly lowering rolling resistance even more.

How about a barely used truck?
    I wouldn't mind a used but the prices some people get off new makes buying used not as attractive. I hear some getting 8-14k off new F-150s. When I bought the 4runner, I was looking at a 2004 with 40k miles and the dealer wouldn't budge on the prices. I shopped around for a used 4runner and couldn't get a deal. I then found a dealership that gave me a new 2007 4runner with 0 miles on it for the same price as the used 4runner.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    My Tahoe (& Yukon, Suburban, etc..) have the same system. I use 2wd for most driving, Auto when it's wet or may be icy, 4wd hi & low when it's needed full time.
    Thanks. Nice to know that these SUV offer those systems

Quote Originally Posted by d_c_mar View Post
    Really love my 2010 Tacoma. Center diff doesn't lock, but electronic traction control won't allow for all the power to go to the front or back. I've gotten it into some sticky stuff, and always got it out. Mine is a double cab long bed 4wd with the SR5 package, so it was a little more than you indicated, but it can be had for less. Love this one and my previous Taco.
    I really like Tacos. That would be my first choice of mid sized truck. The only thing is that the current model has been around for maybe 7 years already. I wish the new gen would come soon. Also the mpg isn't that great when you look at some full sized trucks having more HP, torque, and weight getting about the same MPG.

A vehicle that is all wheel drive cant be anything else but that. 2008-chevrolet-trailblaze_460x0w.jpg
    ...everything you need plus a corvette engine.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    A vehicle that is all wheel drive cant be anything else but that. 2008-chevrolet-trailblaze_460x0w.jpg
    ...everything you need plus a corvette engine.
    That SS is really nice. I would love to have one but I think they may be out of my price range.

BTW The GMC Typhoon is one of my favorite vehicles ever made. AWD and I believe 0-60 was around 5 seconds which is really fast by todays standards. 8-10 years ago that was INSANE. Wish they would bring it back or make the SS a bit faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links