"Sheepdog" sounds so lame... - Page 2

"Sheepdog" sounds so lame...

This is a discussion on "Sheepdog" sounds so lame... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry, OP, totally disagree with your whole premise. Sheepdog and proud of it. Call yourself whatever you're comfortable with....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: "Sheepdog" sounds so lame...

Sorry, OP, totally disagree with your whole premise. Sheepdog and proud of it. Call yourself whatever you're comfortable with.

I prefer the term "Great Pyrenees."
    atctimmy, l1a1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The sheepdog concept isn't about the 2nd amendment, or gun ownership, per se. If all it does is make you think of a cartoon, then you are missing the point. A good place to start would be here: On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I prefer to be seen as just one of the flock until such time as it becomes necessary to release the beast.
    I think that's why they call a someone with a concealed gun a sheep dog! They blend in with the sheep until they are needed. And they will protect their flock against anything even if it means their life. Granted it kind of sissy sounding term but if u think about what a sheep dog is and was originally bread for...its kind of a compliment and cool concept. But thats just me! :)

And "guard dog" wouldn't work for a ccw holder, more like open carry! U can always tell a guard dog cuz its barking and trying to get everything before its even a threat. My dog won't even let a car drive in my housing area without waking me up in the middle of the night barking and scratching at the window.

The first time I read that "sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs" article, I cringed. If that's how some CCW owners feel about things, then I'm worried. It's a ridiculous mindset.

Mainly, the sheepdog thing is a metaphor. A word or term used symbolically to represent the quality of another idea. For example: My friend is a rock. That would imply not that he or she is a stone, but rather is strong and solid.

Carrying a firearm is a complicated matter such that "sheepdog" only captures a sliver of the reality, while simplifying the rest of it down to a laughable caricature. Now, if you're an over-60, paunched out Wilford Brimley sort of person, OK - I'll give you sheepdog.

I don't think that carrying a pound or two of metal on your hip makes you anything. It doesn't magically transform you from 98-pound weakling into a superhero.

The modern urban warrior is able to engage and resist any kind of threat using the tools at hand. Gun, knife, chair, hands - or the weapon carried by the attacker - it doesn't matter. The victim submits, the warrior prevails (or goes down fighting).

You get the impression, from some remarks here, that there's a sort of mentality that says that if you're alone, then you'll quietly hand over your wallet or whatever, but if your [spouse, child, parent, etc.] is with you, then you turn into a combination of Tasmanian Devil whirling Dervish of teeth, claws, and firepower. Coolio.

Some people are operating out of fear, and that's understandable. But here's the deal: You can look at all this like it's a problem you can solve mechanically. Like buying caulk to seal up a leak around a window frame. Yet if that's the mentality, then you'll never reach the end of the road. Your mind can always invent another threat, another danger to defend against. Finally, you'll be bunkered down against the apocalyptic zombie horde.

The warrior isn't concerned with such things. Rather, training and competence becomes an internal quest. You study and learn not to deal with potential dangers, but because self-development is a worthwhile activity in and of itself. You never know what's going to happen, so you have to be ready for anything.
    RonCo, Bark'n and Hoganbeg like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I think the sheepdog thing is silly and equates back to the 50 year old still talking about his glory days playing high school sports. I guess if it makes you feel important or big then go for it. As for me I'm Jim a husband, stepdad, grandpa, go to work everday and do the best I can with life guy who just happens to carry a weapon.

Where is the hurt feelings report?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

Words are merely a vehicle to transport concepts from one individual consciousness to another. Some metaphors make sense to some but not to others. Oh, well.

To take offense because of a word or phrase is juvenile. Down that road is Political Correctness! Nobody wants to visit there, do they?

If you disagree with the particular choice of word, look at the concept being discussed and try to frame it in a manner that better suits your tastes and philosophy. It is as simple as that.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

mkh
    I think that there are more important things to worry about than what people call us.

I don't care what people call me and I'm not advertising so they usually don't call me anything. I know the purpose of the concealed weapon and I know how to use it. Beyond that I don't care what the rest of the world thinks or calls me.

I guess im just getting old and grouchy. Peace bro.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    The term... while logical, seems highly presumptuous and wreaks of "WEAKNESS". For me it conjures up images of the goofy Looney Tunes character "Ralph" the sheepdog.
    That's probably because you are thinking of the wrong character. Sam was the sheepdog, Ralph was the wolf who was pretty much owned by Sam. Sam was very aware of his surroundings but wasn't obvious in doing so and Ralph could never get one over on him.

l1a1, Old School, Bark'n and 2 others like this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Yeah, sheepdog is just plain silly

Sheepdogs are great!
    Wolves are noble predators.
    Sheep are, well... sheep.

In a very, very limited sense, you could do the opposite of anthropomorphication on humans and compare them, in groups, to these animals. It doesn't work for me.

Primarily because I see nothing noble about human predators.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Woof...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    That's probably because you are thinking of the wrong character. Sam was the sheepdog, Ralph was the wolf who was pretty much owned by Sam. Sam was very aware of his surroundings but wasn't obvious in doing so and Ralph could never get one over on him.

I got tickled at your post. That's awesome bro!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

Use whatever names you want for prey, preditor and protector just remember who you are and in what condition you are in.

States of Awareness, the Cooper Color Codes

Regards,

OS
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links