"Sheepdog" sounds so lame...

This is a discussion on "Sheepdog" sounds so lame... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is the most vicious guard dog in the world. Dont let the act fool you. "Lindie" is only acting and may appear to be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: "Sheepdog" sounds so lame...

This is the most vicious guard dog in the world. Dont let the act fool you. "Lindie" is only acting and may appear to be sleeping on her pillow by the door, but is actually ready to pounce on any intruder and tear them to shreds at a moments notice!

Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Sheepdog really does not bother me. There could be a worse term I am sure.

I always liked the sound of "Rotweiler". So Teutonic and feared. That's what I think I will call myself.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    As I go through this season's political process and look at all of the people who can't be bothered to get involved I am reminded of how many really are sheep-like in their attitude toward life.

As with many (if not most) things in life, the original meaning has been corrupted through common misuse. As some have so vehemently (& correctly) pointed out to me, it actually meant military and police type protectors. The concept however can be applied to the mindset of protecting society. This is all well and good until taken to the extreme of saying anyone with a gun is a sheepdog. Not so! What is required is not the tools or even the training, but the mindset-and knowing where to draw the line. Just being a concealed carrier does not make one a sheepdog.

Here's my first line of defense. He actually just stalled a stranger in his tracks about 50 yards down our private drive this morning. Me and my J-frame took it from there. The guy claimed to be looking for a truck trailer that he saw advertised for sale online.

I guess I wasn't being as discrete with the pistol as I thought. The guy nervously informed me that he "wasn't looking to rip me off". I just smiled and said that's good.

Brute.jpg

To clarify... I'm slightly less turned off by society calling armed civilians Sheepdogs, than I am by armed civilians proudly proclaiming to BE Sheepdogs.

Maybe it is because I've known a few knuckleheads that thought their CCW permits granted them "superpowers"... just not that superpower of being able to move out of your mom's basement in a single bound!
    sgb, suntzu, Mike1956 and 1 others like this.

My dog is the sheepdog of the family. Im the alpha male, nothing more, nothing less.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

This is how I envision "Sheepdogs"

Sheepdog.jpg

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I agree. I think the whole "sheepdog, wolf, and sheep" analogy is pretty ridiculous.

I think the term most are refering to is sheeple. it has been used to describe the ones that wander meaningless and unaware through life. Not noticeing there surroundings and unprotected. The sheepdogs would be the rest of us that are ready to defend with whatever we have and are practiceing sitiuational awareness. Stay safe.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Nutnfancy does a decent job of describing the altruistic, sheepdog "mindset" and attitude. Whenever I see a news story of a regular Jane or Joe/Good Samaritan coming to the rescue of an innocent or helpless person, I think "sheepdog". Whether a person carries or not, does not make them a sheepdog, necessarily.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I wouldn't call the 'human predators' wolves. Most definitely too noble- and beautiful- a creature to share that name. So, I don't see 'sheepdog' fitting exactly. While, I don't mind the term, I don't see that it fits exactly.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I wouldn't call the 'human predators' wolves. Most definitely too noble- and beautiful- a creature to share that name. So, I don't see 'sheepdog' fitting exactly. While, I don't mind the term, I don't see that it fits exactly.
    I think of them more as vermin than anything canine related. Like you said, "wolf" is too good for them. Rats is more like it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think of them more as vermin than anything canine related. Like you said, "wolf" is too good for them. Rats is more like it.
    Hyenas.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

I prefer Jeff Cooper's analogies, Orcs, Trolls, Goblins , etc.

Never heard the phrase and don't care about the phrase. Based on how much the opinion of others matters to me, you can call me anything but late for supper.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links