What's the most redneck thing you've ever done?

This is a discussion on What's the most redneck thing you've ever done? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by l1a1 Bark'n -That answers the eternal question. Was there Alcohol involved? My wife and I always ask that to one another when ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: What's the most redneck thing you've ever done?

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    Bark'n -That answers the eternal question. Was there Alcohol involved? My wife and I always ask that to one another when we dang well know the answer.
    Yeah, kind of like when someone says "Here, hold my beer for me... Hey everyone, watch this!"

You just know it's not going to end well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Started hanging out on these forums.....
    Paymeister likes this.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcake View Post
    What's the difference between "redneck" and "white trash"? Is it just geographics?
    Dear Snowcake,

Though they in fact can be found in the same geographical area, there's a WORLD of difference in character between 'redneck' and 'white trash'.

"White Trash" describes lowlife Caucasians - people who would be late on their rent and destroy the place as they're about to be evicted, for instance. Meth-heads, welfare scammers, and neglecters or abusers of children, for a few more examples.

"Rednecks" are usually rural folks who are unaware of or are unimpressed with city-folk ways and who would prefer to work for a living, often doing something tangible like farming or factory work. These are the prototypical work-all-week-then-hunt-fish-6pack guys. I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area then in Los Angeles: I now live in Appalachia and have tremendous respect for the fine people who are my neighbors. You have no idea how nice it is to have the gal at the insurance agency and the pharmacy tech recognize me by my voice over the phone (both have happened to me here). And folks will stop and offer help when you're by the side of the road. These are the people I want to be like, in spite of my University degrees and fondness for classical music. I moved my family here so my daughter could grow up here instead of surrounded by white trash - the town we came from now is second only to Detroit in percent on welfare.

Historically redneck has been used to describe uneducated poor white farmers, and indeed has been used interchangeably with 'hillbilly' (though that's offensive to our locals) and 'white trash' (though 'white trash' suggests immorality while 'redneck' does not). Matt Wray, in Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness (2006), writes that the main difference is that "redneck," "cracker", "Okie", and "hillbilly" emphasize that a person is poor and uneducated and comes from the backwoods with little awareness of the modern world, while "white trash" emphasizes the person's moral failings (pp. 79, 102).

While White Trash can be found anywhere, both groups seem to be seen in rural areas and both are usually struggling financially. But our whole site here is devoted to defending ourselves from one type and championing the other (OK, we've got some wealthy city folks here, too, but I'm waxing poetic).

And the typical redneck seems better able to laugh at himself than many city folks: the classic is describing activities which start out with such leaders as, "So I said to 'em, 'Hey, y'all, watch this (hold my beer for me)..." Hence this thread.

Distinguished Member
    Dated a girl that dipped snuff...
    l1a1 and 1hogfan83 like this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Dear Snowcake,

Though they in fact can be found in the same geographical area, there's a WORLD of difference in character between 'redneck' and 'white trash'.

"White Trash" describes lowlife Caucasians - people who would be late on their rent and destroy the place as they're about to be evicted, for instance. Meth-heads, welfare scammers, and neglecters or abusers of children, for a few more examples.

"Rednecks" are usually rural folks who are unaware of or are unimpressed with city-folk ways and who would prefer to work for a living, often doing something tangible like farming or factory work. These are the prototypical work-all-week-then-hunt-fish-6pack guys. I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area then in Los Angeles: I now live in Appalachia and have tremendous respect for the fine people who are my neighbors. You have no idea how nice it is to have the gal at the insurance agency and the pharmacy tech recognize me by my voice over the phone (both have happened to me here). And folks will stop and offer help when you're by the side of the road. These are the people I want to be like, in spite of my University degrees and fondness for classical music. I moved my family here so my daughter could grow up here instead of surrounded by white trash - the town we came from now is second only to Detroit in percent on welfare.

Historically redneck has been used to describe uneducated poor white farmers, and indeed has been used interchangeably with 'hillbilly' (though that's offensive to our locals) and 'white trash' (though 'white trash' suggests immorality while 'redneck' does not). Matt Wray, in Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness (2006), writes that the main difference is that "redneck," "cracker", "Okie", and "hillbilly" emphasize that a person is poor and uneducated and comes from the backwoods with little awareness of the modern world, while "white trash" emphasizes the person's moral failings (pp. 79, 102).

While White Trash can be found anywhere, both groups seem to be seen in rural areas and both are usually struggling financially. But our whole site here is devoted to defending ourselves from one type and championing the other (OK, we've got some wealthy city folks here, too, but I'm waxing poetic).

And the typical redneck seems better able to laugh at himself than many city folks: the classic is describing activities which start out with such leaders as, "So I said to 'em, 'Hey, y'all, watch this (hold my beer for me)..." Hence this thread.
    Well played, Sir.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

there is no couch on the front porch. however, there are two refrigerators. reason being they are filled with non-perishable food.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

Sitting on the back patio shooting at rats in the back yard with a pellet gun. My daughter said we were having a Red Neck evening.
    Although, if we weren' out there at the time, we would have missed a large meteor that went over the area that night.
    This happened about a month ago.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by snowcake View Post
    What's the difference between "redneck" and "white trash"? Is it just geographics?
    Rednecks go to moms for sunday dinner.
    White trash visits mom in prison on sunday.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I also jumped out of a boat going full speed (about 45 mph) into the water just to see what it would be like. Oh.. I did NOT hand over my beer - I don't drink, I was stone sober. Maybe I should start, it probably would have been safer.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I used to get hammered at the house before going to the tavern for the evening to cut drinking costs.
    I still do that!!!

Back in the late 80s while stationed in Germany, I was selected to go to the NCO Academy in England. My administrative office waited too late to book the flight and I ended up on a first class flight on British Airways!!!

Needless to say it was a first for me so I was excited. My redneck move came when half-way through the flight the flight attendent handed me a bowl of water with a lemon wedge. I thought it was really fancy until I started drinking from it and realized everyone else was putting their fingers in it and giving me strange looks!!!

Another time I was TDY to Japan and went to the babershop on base which had mostly Japanese barbers. After he finished cutting my hair he started hitting me in the back! I jumped out of the chair, turned around and started going after him. It was then that some other airmen grabbed me and told me the guy was just trying to give me a massage. I sat back down but the guy never came back!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    No I don't cook grits, I make some pretty good fried chicken tho... I guess I'm not a Redneck then. Shew, that was close. Lol
    You were doing fine, right up until you said "shew".

VIP Member
    Sitting on my buddy's back porch, we had 5 dollars between us, which we could either spend on beer or dinner.

So we shot two squirrels while sitting there and went on a beer run.

I moved from New
    York to Tennessee

Sent using Tapatalk

This isn't me, but it definitely qualifies as redneck....

Redneck Dragster - YouTube

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links