What Elway wants,Elway gets.

This is a discussion on What Elway wants,Elway gets. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Now, Im just a good ole devoted Packer fan,so ultimately what the hell do I care.But,wasnt Manning released by the Colts because they didnt like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What Elway wants,Elway gets.

Now, Im just a good ole devoted Packer fan,so ultimately what the hell do I care.But,wasnt Manning released by the Colts because they didnt like the idea of an aging (love BRETT FAVRE,by the way!!!!) Q.B. on their staff? One that just got over a season long neck injury? So,fast forward to today--Denver signs Payton to like a 5 year 96 million dollar contract,and pretty much told the up and coming Tim Teboe to pack his bags.
    I like Manning,but from what I was gathering out at mile high last season,Teboe was fast becoming the Quarterback of the future in Denver. If Indy didnt want anything to do with Manning,how is it that he comes up golden in Colorado?
    What do you guys think of all this? I just cant believe Teboe has been pushed aside as easily as he was.I know its professional sports and all that jazz,but come on...

Oh yeah, keep the Favre jabs to yourself the guy was one of a kind!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

One big hit to Manning, and Denver will be wishing they had a quarterback again.

However, I don't have a problem with the Colts cutting Manning. It is all about risk/reward/cost. Luck appears to be the best quarter back option, so looking at Manning's age and injury's I can't blame the Colts.

I think Denver is taking a HUGE risk, loosing one good quarterback for a great one but one that carries a tremendous risk/reward liability. Which is okay, I am not a Denver fan.
    Bark'n and Dadsnugun like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Elway does not like Tebow. He basically said so several times last season. This is personal. Elways pride/arrogance/personality/whatever has gotten in the way of his business sense. Tebow will go to a team that actually wants him. Win-win. At least that's my .02.
    Bark'n and Stubborn like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My money is on the Colts picking up Luck. I'm sure the thought process was a trade-in for a newer model. It will be interestingi to see where Tebow and Griffin 3 from Baylor go.

While Manning is great, I can't see taking the risk and cutting 'tough cookie' Tebow.

told my brother that lives in Denver basically the same thing you guys have all said. Why buy an old used run down model that used to be great for one that has his very best years ahead of him? Uhhh, didn't the Colts just release him because they did not want to take the risk of losing another season with Payton out? D'oh. One wrong hit, and Manning is done for another season, and that 90+million Manning is getting is long gone. I lived in Denver when Elway was a rookie and it took years for him to mature and become the quarterback everyone said he would be. Sucks that Elway won't allow Tebow the same.
    Maybe Mr. Ed is just jealous that Tebow is so popular and might upstage Elway's god-like hold on that town. Made me puke when I lived there and he was still playing. Sorry he didn't stick to buying up all the car dealerships on the Front Range and let those with some business common sense run the Broncos.

My brother argued that Elway knows what he is doing and wants a championship NOW, and the reason Manning chose the Broncos is because they had the lowest sack percentage in the NFL last year. Oh, Goody, so the Broncos got Manning because he is afraid of getting hit. Not good.
    yooperdug likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

At least the Broncos get Manning. I would hate to be the 49ers right now.

Shepard Smith on Fox news today says that when Tebow was seen kneeling on the field after touchdowns that he was praying for Denver to win the Superbowl. God heard his prayer and sent Manning to Denver.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    One wrong hit, and Manning is done for another season, and that 90+million Manning is getting is long gone.
    Heck, one wrong hit, and Manning is a quadriplegic for the rest of his life. But he'll have 90 million to help keep him comfortable.
    tactilame likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Manning is one of the greatest football players who has ever lived. Tebow is an unproven and unseasoned NFL qb. Sure, he won some games in dramatic fashion, and I kind of like him because he's a winner (even though his stats are weak), but there is no way you can compare him to Peyton Manning.

Denver had money to spend, and they took a risk. Indy wants Luck, who was groomed by the best football coach in the world for three years, and they didn't want to pay Manning with his questionable health.

Just don't try to compare Tebow to Manning. It's insane.

Brett Favre is one of the most detestable public figures in American history.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm not mad at his choice but had I been him I would have oppted for the Texans not just because I live here but looking at the rb and offensive line, possibility to going to the SB with a mediocre QB they have been close he would have taken them over the top
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I'd have opted for retirement and enjoyed the rest of my life while I can still walk. He's got more money than he knows what to do with.

It'd be better to go out on top of his game rather than crippled for life.
    RoadKill likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What happend to going out with grace? Marino did it, the true greatest QB of all time, Barry Sanders did it, the true greatest RB of all time. They didnt hang around for 38 years just to break records cough cough, emitt smith and brett farve.

Barry Sanders- "I'm taking my ball and going home!"

Dan Marino didn't "hang around"?...

Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    What happend to going out with grace? Marino did it, the true greatest QB of all time, Barry Sanders did it, the true greatest RB of all time. They didnt hang around for 38 years just to break records cough cough, emitt smith and brett farve.
    Joe Montana and Jim Brown

VIP Member
    @ The OP. It's all about money friend. Indy was going to have to pay Manning a 28 million dollar bonus if they kept him. That's in addition to the 7 million in salary that he would have received this year. That was 35 million reasons to let him go.

The 35 million and first reason to let him go is that Andrew Luck is widely regarded as the biggest can't miss draft pick in the last 20 years or so. Indy wants to keep their team in a position to win for the next 15 years and they would be fools to not draft Luck. The problem with Luck is that he is going to command a huge contract. A contract that would have been salary cap suicide if the Colts kept both Manning and Luck.

If money wasn't involved Manning would still be a Colt.
    varob and RoadKill like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links