Carpenters/Painters - Info Needed

This is a discussion on Carpenters/Painters - Info Needed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey all - this is a quick question for our professional carpenters and painters here. I recently replaced our front door with a much more ...

Thread: Carpenters/Painters - Info Needed

VIP Member

Carpenters/Painters - Info Needed

Hey all - this is a quick question for our professional carpenters and painters here. I recently replaced our front door with a much more secure steel option. My wife wanted to remove the old screen door so now we have screw holes around the outside of the door frame. There is a small bit of frame and trim I have to paint, but I need to fill these holes prior to doing the painting.

The holes are on the outside face of the door frame, but under the cover of a roof. They would very rarely get wet directly with rain, but mist or fog could wet them periodically. I have done a lot of painting inside and spackle would do the trick there, but I am not sure if it will do for the outside. If you are a professional, please recommend to me the best substance that I can fill those holes with (realizing I will have to sand to get them level) and that is paintable. I appreciate any repsonses.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I am both a carpenter and painter....more so the first. I run into this a lot on projects. If you want something that will outlast you and the frame use bondo. Its just a fiberglass auto body filler that can be gotten at Lowes out home depot or AutoZone. Pretty ready just don't mix up to much at one time it dries super fast!

VIP Member
    I will give it a try. Thanks.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    You can use Epoxy kneadable putty. It comes in a small roll inside of a clear plastic tube. You slice some off just like you were slicing some salami. Knead it between your fingers and quickly roll it into small balls & press those into the screw holes. Quickly smooth it off or cut the excess off flush because you only have 10 minutes of working time before it sets up as hard as a rock. After it sets you can finish sand it smooth with sandpaper.

The residue washes off your fingers with soap and water.

It's a hardware store item. Often it's in the plumbing section. It's around $5.00
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can use Epoxy kneadable putty. It comes in a small roll inside of a clear plastic tube. You slice some off just like you were slicing some salami. Knead it between your fingers and quickly roll it into small balls & press those into the screw holes. Quickly smooth it off or cut the excess off flush because you only have 10 minutes of working time before it sets up as hard as a rock. After it sets you can finish sand it smooth with sandpaper.

The residue washes off your fingers with soap and water.

It's a hardware store item. Often it's in the plumbing section. It's around $5.00
    Sounds like it may be less expensive than bondo. I will check it out as well at Lowes. Thanks.

Doth suggestions are on the money.

Autobody supply will sell a small can of bondo and a smaller tube of hardner. Mix and apply. Easier to sand.

Stop into any plumbing supply and they will have Proexpoy mix 50/50 and when it dries hard as steel. You can drill,tap it,just remove as much as you can before it dries.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

They have wood bondo that works better than auto bondo, available next to each other at your local Lowes.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Get a tube of latex plus (with silicone) caulk. Cut the tip right at the end so you have a very very small hole in the tip. Stick the tip against or into the hole and squirt. wipe the excess with your dampened finger and let dry. If it sinks into the hole, reapply the same way. Then paint over it.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Links