Buying a vehicle

Buying a vehicle

This is a discussion on Buying a vehicle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I am buying a truck today for the business I run. Well I plan on it but these things are always a pain in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Buying a vehicle

Buying a vehicle

So I am buying a truck today for the business I run. Well I plan on it but these things are always a pain in the rear. I hate haggling even though I seem to be decent at it. I just hate the whole process. We have a price agreed on but this would not be the first time it changed when I get down there. It is amazing at how some of the biggest purchases we as a society are least prepared for. We are not a barter system, yet when you go to buy a $20K+ truck or a $150k house its all about wheeling and dealing. Just find that interesting.

Ill let you know how it goes, but as you can tell I am not looking forward to it...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I hate haggling as well. I'll only do it if I think the price is too high. Once it gets to a fair price, and it's what I want, I'm done.

I was raised that you're a good negotiator if everybody leaves the table happy.

I like that philosophy WHEC. I know they cost money so I wont be angry if I pay what I think is reasonable. Hoping for a positive experience
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Have you ever tried using the service Costco and Sams offer for car buying? They seem to take some of the agravation out of the process.

I'm looking to buy a new one in a couple of years and I'm dreading it already.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I like that philosophy WHEC. I know they cost money so I wont be angry if I pay what I think is reasonable. Hoping for a positive experience
    Hope it goes well for you.

Sidenote: Back when I was in the corporate world, I sold large enterprise software/consulting solutions. I attended a negotiation class that taught tactics that were downright unethical. The basic strategy though was to 'wring the wash cloth'. You only stop twisting after it stops dripping. A little drip will require another twist, regardless of where you are in the negotiations. Sadly, a lot of people work that way.

Good Luck. Personally, I hate selling a vehicle much more that buying one. I agree with WHEC.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    Have you ever tried using the service Costco and Sams offer for car buying? They seem to take some of the agravation out of the process.

I'm looking to buy a new one in a couple of years and I'm dreading it already.
    I bought a new car recently. I realize that many people recommend buying used because a new car is "the worst investment you can make." I don't care. Life is shot, and I'll do what I want.

But I used USAA to find the car. I know half of the members of this site are probably USAA members, so it's just something to think about. They find good deals and have automatic discounts and one can negotiate from there.

A buddy of mine recently bought a used truck, and it's a good thing I was there. Knocked him down from a grand to $800. Personally, I love negotiating and I can't think of one time that I paid asking price.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    What's to haggle? Just offer $100 over invoice. If they don't like that, take your companies business to the next dealership. The ONLY thing I ever haggle about is a trade-in, maybe.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

AFTER you know what you want, walk in with their invoice price and their holdbacks. Tell them you start "At their Invoice less Holdbacks", and they need to decide the Margin they want on your deal, which will be as FAST as they can make it. Do that at two or three dealerships, and you'll be done pronto.

Negotiate from their Cost upward, not their invoice downward.

Tell them you might have a trade-in, but that is a separate deal anyway. After you agree on new car price (locked-in), bring in your trade, and get the trade-in allowance. Separate the two issues and negotiate from knowledge and strength.

Never never talk finance, etc. until the above are done deals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    AFTER you know what you want, walk in with their invoice price and their holdbacks. Tell them you start "At their Invoice less Holdbacks", and they need to decide the Margin they want on your deal, which will be as FAST as they can make it. Do that at two or three dealerships, and you'll be done pronto.

Negotiate from their Cost upward, not their invoice downward.

Tell them you might have a trade-in, but that is a separate deal anyway. After you agree on new car price (locked-in), bring in your trade, and get the trade-in allowance. Separate the two issues and negotiate from knowledge and strength.

Never never talk finance, etc. until the above are done deals.
    Good advice.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Watch the "dock fee" It's usually added on AFTER all the negotiations! The dock fee is cleaning, topping off fluids, state inspection (if applicable) etc.
    Sometimes you can have them waive the dock fees which can be $500 to $1000. I was able to have mine cut in half... after them sneaking it in on the day of delivery.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Years ago I helped a friend buy a tow truck. As had been said know what you want and know what it cost them. We walked in with printouts of what the cab and chassis cost and what the tow rig cost and what incentives were going on. We also knew that the truck had been on their lot for almost six months already. The salesman wasnt too happy with us but the manager seemed to be glad to get it off his lot.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have been a salesman for the last 14 years and don't like to haggle with other sales people either! I figure out what I am willing to pay for an item or service, then offer that amount. (You've got to really know all about the item/service that you are buying). This always works if you are ready to walk away from a deal if your reasonable offer is not accepted. More often than not, the seller/salesman will not want you to walk out. They will make a counter offer but stick to your guns and you will probably get the price you are asking for. Life is too short to argue about items that readily available elsewhere.

VIP Member
    With the help of the internet you can find out how much you are going to pay without going into to dealer. I got a great purchase on a Chevy a couple years ago. Several dealers in my area (30 mile ) has similar vehicles. I got the internet price from them and went into the cheapest one. The manager came out and asked if I would purchase today. I said "NO" I am going to yxz dealership across town and see what they will do for me, they have a couple of the same cars. He asked what it would take for the deal and I told him a real low number thinking I could make an exit. he came back and said yep. So I got a great deal. ( Maybe maybe not) but that dealership is now out of business, so I think I did well. I got a letter from Chevy and they gave me some free service since "my dealership" is no longer.

so long story short, put some time into it and do your research and you will get a good deal on that truck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links