80 mph

This is a discussion on 80 mph within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty I hate to hijack this thread but I AM,who clicked on the video of the guy asking his wife how long ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 80 mph

VIP Member

80 mph

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I hate to hijack this thread but I AM,who clicked on the video of the guy asking his wife how long it takes to go 80 miles at 80 mph.
    I set this up as a new thread because I wanted to comment on it. Not Dukalmighty's hijack, but the video to which he refers. I am not going to link the video here for reasons that should become obvious.

First let me say, the video is funny, but then you think about it and it is not so funny. A young husband "H" has clearly identified an area where his wife "W" does not understand the topic as well as most do. He decides to make a video of this event and put it on the internet - youtube.

In the video, H asks "if we are going 80 MPH, how long will it take us to go 80 miles". W does a lot of mental gymnastics based on her time to run a mile and dang near nails the answer - she says 58 minutes. She clearly did not understand that 80 MPH means you go 80 miles in an hour. They then get off on 40MPH and she gets further confused.

On the face of it the video is funny, but it was wrong on several levels for H to make it, share it with W's family and share it with the world. Based on the video and accompanying video from their appearance on a news/entertainment program, I do not think she was complicit in the making of the film.

We take our roles as protectors of our families seriously. This forum relates to 1 aspect of that protection - physical, but there is much more to it, emotional, financial, reputational and spiritual risks all are what men are called to protect their families from. H in the video falls far short in the emotional and reputational protection areas.

After making the video, H shared it with W's family. He thought that was cute and they may have laughed, but I wonder what they really thought about him at this point. H then shares it with the world and causes W emotional distress for which, to his credit, he apologizes on national TV. He also causes her reputational harm.

W appears to be a nice gal and I bet she can cook, raise great kids that have manners and do a bunch of other things really well. Nonetheless, H displays her weakness to the world. Sorry for being so long winded, but after reflecting on it for a bit, that video really ticked me off.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The operative expression here is: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

In other words, while you have a nifty smartphone that can shoot video and you can upload it to YouTube and show the whole world what you saw, sometimes it's a really bad idea to do that.

One of the worst examples I can think of is a video that gets posted here about, oh, once a week. It's a guy who films his wife fiddling with his gun on the patio, and he sneaks up and lights some firecrackers, and she freaks out and haw haw haw.

Insanely offensive.

It's offensive because the husband is not respecting his wife and is presenting her for ridicule on the Internet. That is not cool.

Your life partner is not a sidekick you use to burnish your world-wide cred on the global stage. He or she is not the object of derision. And anybody who doesn't get that basic truth doesn't understand the meaning of respect.

The Internet does not "forget" anything. What you post lives forever and is infinitely archived. There are no "takebacks." The guy who set up that video I reference above may very well regret what he did, but it's too late. It's there. Forever.

With great power comes great responsibility, but most people don't seem to understand that.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Well said, folks!

mkh
    Thank you for taking a stand.

For the record, I agree completely.

I was the first one to say that in the other thread. So disrespectful.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

I agree.

Does he think exposing his wife to ridicule will boost his standing among men in the world? I'll bet it doesn't.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I don't think exposing my wife to the world for ridicule is cool, ridiculing her is my job alone!
    Last edited by Doodle; March 24th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

I guess I should feel really bad since this is probably one of the best reasons "No Child Left Behind" was a failure from the get go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    W appears to be a nice gal and I bet she can cook, raise great kids that have manners and do a bunch of other things really well.
    Don't forget she can run a pretty good mile (7min) :)

Based on her calculating method of her car tires being kinda flat so they may not move as fast as a like a police officers tires that are full...

she could run 1000 meters in 4 minutes and 21 seconds... straight to a divorce attorney.

I agree H is a tool.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I'm sure everyone got a good laugh out of it so maybe you should be also calling yourself a "tool" or "cruel" or "disrespectful". I don't think it's anyone's business to complain about what other put on the internet. She had a blonde moment (loooong moment) so what?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I'm sure everyone got a good laugh out of it so maybe you should be also calling yourself a "tool" or "cruel" or "disrespectful". I don't think it's anyone's business to complain about what other put on the internet. She had a blonde moment (loooong moment) so what?
    If you are referring to me, I didn't think it was funny at all!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    If you are referring to me, I didn't think it was funny at all!
    Not referring to anyone, just pointing out the fact that people spent a certain amount of time watching it and i'm sure finding it.. "entertaining" at least. And have no place to be telling people what that should or shouldn't put on the internet. There's many worse things than that to spend the time complaining about lol.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I don't think it was very nice of him to post this of his wife. However, I am sad about what our society has developed into. I bet she even has a college degree.

Maybe I have just been lucky in my life, but I seem to run into increasingly higher numbers of people like her.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

It just shows he has no respect for her or himself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links