New favorite Massad Ayoob quote

This is a discussion on New favorite Massad Ayoob quote within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; i was reading Mas's book "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry", and he was talking about IDPA matches. He was explaining a match where ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New favorite Massad Ayoob quote

New favorite Massad Ayoob quote

i was reading Mas's book "The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry", and he was talking about IDPA matches. He was explaining a match where you started with a baby in your hands (fake of course) and you have to set it down gently to draw and shoot. That was all fun, until i read "If you "spike" the baby like a football, you get the dreaded twenty-second Failure To Do Right penalty added to your time." cause all i could picture is like Ben Roethlisberger grabing a baby by its head giving it a 3/4 twirl and slaming it into the ground. Call me crule or a sick sense of humor but Mas started it!

sorry just figure I'd share. I have read many of his books and when it uses his sense of humor i find it extremly funny.
    Al Lowe likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

2. Remove Ads

He also said.............Wouldn't make a rush to judgement.....the voice of experience.
    Sanford Fla.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.
    Guest1 likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    hahahaha probably not. I think your morbid filter needs a changin jerp.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

no i don't have kids, but what i find funny is that mas, who does have kids, and was a police officer for 34+years, would talk about "spiking" a baby, now the one he was talking about was fake. And what i found funny is how he came to that comparison, and then the image just "popped" into my head. I am sorry i didn't mean any offense to anyone. but i was more leaning to how he comes to some crazy comparisons in his books. i can't think of the others right now, but i know they are there. i work 12 hour days and don't really do anything to be honest, so i read Mas's books. and hes a straight shooter, but when he decides to throw some humor, i really find it funny.

and to top it off, and i speak for myself and my buddy who told me this. we both are in the service and he was a cop for 12yrs. and my buddy said "to be in the service, or a cop, with some of the stuff you see, you need to have a sick sense of humor, otherwise the stuff will eat at you." he was deployed 4 times, and is on his 5th. and worked some bad stuff as a cop. he has a couple of years on me, and i trust him with my life, has NEVER steered me wrong. he is normal as it gets. this just came to me. like i said probably a little harsh, but the true question i should have posed, is How/why did mas come to that comparison?

once again i didn't mean to offend anyone, if i did i sincerely apologize.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

It's not just you, I just had a flashback of Ike and "Don't kick the baby" from South Park. And I do have 2 kids, that I used to spike onto the mattress when they were little. They loved it! BABY SLAM!!!!!!
    Al Lowe and jerp like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    In my case none that I know of.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In my case none that I know of.
    Ooooohh, now there's a can of worms
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Ooooohh, now there's a can of worms
    Well back when I joined the USAF my father told if I ever go to Germany I may run into some half brothers or sisters he did not know about.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have two sons, and I laughed.

If we can't see the humour in our selves, can't laugh at ourselves, then what is the point? We should never take ourselves too seriously.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

Lateral pass to stranger while drawing and firing,recover baby and go change both our diapers
    Al Lowe, jerp, niks and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pardon me for getting all tactical here, but why would you set the baby down? Shouldn't you take it with you as you retreat to safety? It would seem to be more right than leaving it in "No Man's Land." I realize it's a game, but train like you fight. Does IDPA ban one-handed draw and fire?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

ANYHOOOOO....My comment was also meant in humor. I 'get' the joke too.

Now, who is the violent thug you're so up in arms about?? Not every thread has to do with your deep rooted anger.

Back to the subject. Jerp, Mas' comment take me back to the old OJ joke where he saw the burning building....a lady on the top floor says "save my baby" OJ says. "Throw the baby to me.." She does....he catches...does a dance and spikes the kid.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 28th, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: edited out response to off topic above
    jerp and Al Lowe like this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

What thread are YOU responding to? This has nothing to do with anything other than a joke about spiking a baby.
    Your comment wasn't directed at me, but I'll give it a shot.

The OP posted about a Mas quote. The 2nd poster up continued on that theme and mentioned something Mas said about a current event whose discussion is currently verboten. Bottom line, there are two different sub-themes in this thread.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Your comment wasn't directed at me, but I'll give it a shot.

The OP posted about a Mas quote. The 2nd poster up continued on that theme and mentioned something Mas said about a current event whose discussion is currently verboten. Bottom line, there are two different sub-themes in this thread.

How many other threads are going to get derailed to this subject??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links