Kids from the 40's,50's, 60's and 70's

This is a discussion on Kids from the 40's,50's, 60's and 70's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Congratulations TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !! First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids from the 40's,50's, 60's and 70's

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Kids from the 40's,50's, 60's and 70's

Congratulations

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound,no cellphones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms........ .WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no

lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Reminds me of our family trip to Canada in the early 70's, From VA to Canada and back, myself and two older sisters in the back of a pickup truck, it did have a shell on it, but still. Can you imagine the tickets and grief you would get for doing that today.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

I survived!!!

My wife, just the other day, said to me as we passed some kids riding bikes and wearing helments, "how did we manage to survive childhood?" Good question I said with a sigh.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Yeah, my mother has sometimes said "I'm amazed you survived childhood to become an adult!" but here I am! One tooth knocked out, two broken fingers, a few stitches, a concusion and no lawsuits! Imagine that......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Ah yes the Good Old Days, sundays were spent riding in a car full of Aunt's N Uncle's that chain smoked and 50+ years later I still don't have lung problems. Mom N Dad went out and ate greesy food at a friends Restrurant. Saturday evenings were spent visiting with fiends and eating cookies loaded with sugar. We didn't have computers, but when ever you called any business you spoke with a human, they could tell you anything you needed, and they actually cared about your being a customer, want more?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    I can remember a time in my younger years that we didn't have a TV and guess what? I learned to be creative and I survived it. Although sometimes I wonder how I lived past 18 years old. Ahhh....the good ole days, no cell phones, beepers, or internet........No, wait, I want the internet, that's my link to CombatCarry!

VIP Member
    Well, I was born in '78, so that meant most of my childhood was in the '80s...which meant lots of neon clothes and big hair.

I remember the first Nintendo coming out, but we only had the games that came with it, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I prefered to run around outside.

I do remember riding in the bed of a Chevy C-10 and being a toddler standing the front floorboard of a 1971 Jaguar XJ6. I even have a snapshot of me standing there like that, and a few years ago mom reminisced over it, mentioning how guilty she feels now because I wasn't belted in. Oh well. I'm still alive.

I got my first cellphone when I was in college. I paid an arm and a leg (for me) for the first clamshell, a Motorola StarTac. These days grade school kids have cellphones.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

The First 15 Years...

of my employment in education was completed without copy machines, computers...not one in the district, no cell phones, and without a ton of other things we have today.
    Heck, we didn't even have handicapped parking spots for the horses.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    The old days, less preservatives, more dirt. Also less asthma and less allergies. Go figure??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

amazing indeed.....
    reading that brought back soooo many happy memories.
    Thank you !

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Anyone here still know how to use a sliderule? I keep one in my desk at the office. You should see the looks I get.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    want more?
    Yes please. Thank you sir.

See, I am from the same time period too. Got in on the tail end of it in the 70's and 80's. I learned to respect others and treat them the way I want to be treated.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Slide Rule?
    Heck, I remember an abacus, had a slide rule (still think they're cool) and a manual nav computer (the kind with the wheel) when I flew (yeah kiddies, we really did fly way back then :))

You could always spot an engineer by his slide rule and his plastic pocket protector. I still have a good working slide rule.

And We survived, rather nicely I might add.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in the mountains of WV. Those were the greatest times to be a kid.

I had a funny question from my grandson a while back. He wanted to know what it was like when we didn't have color. I asked him what he was talking about and he said; "We were watching TV the other night and Mom said when you were a kid, you didn't have color." I told him yes, everything was black and white and that when you see a date like 1948 BC. The 'BC' stands for Before Color. I am sure that he shared this with his teacher at school and she probably appreciates the help I've given toward his education.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links