Now this is how you buy a gun

This is a discussion on Now this is how you buy a gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I took my son (11 years old) to my favorite LGS last night to hold a Ruger single six that he wants for his birthday. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Now this is how you buy a gun

VIP Member

Now this is how you buy a gun

I took my son (11 years old) to my favorite LGS last night to hold a Ruger single six that he wants for his birthday. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too big for him, and that he could cock the hammer, etc..

The owner is a really neat guy, who paid particular attention to the boy, giving him good pointers and such. Then as we walked around the store, my son noticed a Rossi "Matched Pair" 20-gauge (it's a youth single shot that includes a 22 caliber swap-out barrel) that he's been researching. He asked to take in down and handle it, and then handed it back up. As we walked around, the boy asks to handle the gun three more times, and then I said it was time for us to go.

When we got outside, the boy asks to borrow my cell phone. I ask 'why', and he said "just give me a shot at mom - I already have the money saved up to buy that 20-gauge". So, while laughing and telling him that he didn't stand a chance of pulling off buying a gun just a few months before his birthday where he also wants us go get him the Ruger single-six. Sure enough, after 10 minutes of negotiation and agreeing to sign a contract where he must put 50% of his future earnings in the bank, and no more gun buys for one entire year after his birthday (he negotiated that down from 4 years), Mrs. Whec agreed to approve him buying the shotgun.

We walk back inside and explain the story. The LGS owner and his wife applauded him and walked toward the back of the store and talked for a moment. He then walked back up and crossed 15% off the price of the shotgun (after we had already agreed to pay his asking price). They gave him instruction on how to swap out the barrel, as well as reminders on gun safety. We also bought a box of 20 gauge shells and started to walk out, when the owner said "wait" and grabbed a complimentary box of .22 LRs to put in the boy's bag "to go with the .22 barrel".

I could learn a lot from my kid about pulling off spontaneous gun purchases. However, this is also as story of a great gun store with great customer service, which is why I keep coming back. If you're ever passing through Aiken, be sure to check out The Gun Rack.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Great story. Congrats to your son.

So Mrs. Whec is restricting gun purchases now? And you are letting her?

j/k

Sounds like ya'll are doing something right with the kid.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Sounds like WHEC Jr. is being brought up right

VIP Member
    So he's still going to get the handgun on his birthday, right?

At 12yo, my boys were shooting 45's. Their favorite...a short bbl Ruger Blackhawk with light 45colt factory loads. But we had enough guns they could use that they didn't feel the need to buy their own. They each got an 870 when they turned 18, and an SKS and a 45 ACP when they turned 21 and got their permits.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    So Mrs. Whec is restricting gun purchases now? And you are letting her?
    ...:
    It's starting to dawn on me that Mrs Whec only restricts my gun purchases...

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Sounds like WHEC Jr. is being brought up right
    Thanks. Honestly though, the kid was born with maturity beyond his years. We're just trying not to screw him up.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    So he's still going to get the handgun on his birthday, right? ...
    Oh yeah. The one in the store was a .17 HMR, I'll have to order the .22 that comes with the spare .22 mag cylinder. But you can bet that I'll do it in such a way that this LGS makes a profit.
    Stubborn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    It's GREAT to see Proverbs 22:6 in action.

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
    And when he is old he will not depart from it".
    WHEC724, carracer, joker1 and 1 others like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    What he said lol.

Great story with a perfect ending.

Great story. Beware of the 20 ga rossi. Very light gun and it kicks like a mule. My kids can only stand 1 or 2 shots w/ it, but love the 22.
    Might look into a recoil pad for it when using the shotty.

Sounds like parents and kid are doing it right!!
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Awesome story Whec. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a smart kid.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Wait a minute,you mean he saved up the money to buy the gun?There must be something wrong with your kid,most kids seem to walk around with their hands out muttering gimme dis,gimme dat,a trait that has been passed down thru several generations of welfare.
    I worked for every cent I ever made and saved my money to buy something I wanted,I also respected and treated things I bought a whole lot better than kids that had everything given to them.
    Sounds like your Son will continue to make you proud since we tend to live on thru our Childrens accomplishments
    WHEC724, TVille, Stubborn and 2 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Outstanding!!!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It sounds like you have quite an awesome young man there. Maybe when my 12 year old daughter gets old enough to date in about 20 years they could .......

Yes WHEC724, you are absolutely correct. That is the way to buy a firearm!

You no doubt are a very proud papa and the Gun Shop Owners are just the best! I believe a thank you for great service card should be sent to them and then go out and tell as many people as you can about their spectacular service.

Thanks for sharing that story.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links