Motorcyle helmet law

This is a discussion on Motorcyle helmet law within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'd like to find out from those of you who ride, whether you wear a helmet or not. Since I'm licensed in a state where ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Motorcyle helmet law

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Motorcyle helmet law

I'd like to find out from those of you who ride, whether you wear a helmet or not.

Since I'm licensed in a state where it is (currently, but possibly soon will not be) mandated, I've been wearing a helmet for over 25 yrs. Although, I have ridden without a helmet on several occassions when riding out of state.

Michigan lawmakers again OK motorcycle helmet repeal | Politics - Home
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Me personallly, I would never ride without a helmet and I only ride with a full face. I don't like the idea of my chin skidding along the pavement. But that's just me.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I haven't worn a helmet since Ohio passed the no helmet law in 1978.
    I moved to florida in 1983, no helmet law here either.
    Actually...I don't even think I own one anymore.

easy rider.jpg
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I feel about helmets like I feel about seatbelts. It's nobody's dang business except my own whether I wish to protect myself.

When I get the opportunity to ride helmetless, I usually take advantage of it.

You can see and hear MUCH better with it off which, as I see it, makes me a safer driver. I'm more aware of my surroundings (and vulnerability). And let's face it, when you hit something while riding a motorcycle at normal highway speeds, that bit of plastic is NOT going to save you. Oh, yeah, you may get to live another 20 years in a wheelchair (think of "Superman" who merely fell off of a horse) but that is not how I wish to exist.

I'm a fatalist...when the Lord wants you, you're going to go.

Don't ride so I admit I have only one dog in this hunt. My taxes pay for disablities and familyWhen you are paralyzed where is the money coming from to taked care of you? Anyone who rides without a helmit (or doesn't use a seatbelt) should have to have proof of a $1 million accidental disability policy that will pay $50,000 a year for 20 years. That way my taxes don't pay for your not being able to work or your medical care.
    There isn't a wall high enough to stop illegal immigrants when the reward on the other side is free health care, jobs, driver's licenses and free college tuition subsidized by American taxpayers.

I don't ride anymore but when I did I wore a helmet. It's wise to do so and it was a safety precaution I chose to take. I don't need legislation requiring me to take care of myself and I resent such laws.
    niks and goldmaster like this.

Here in Texas we don't have a helmet law but I do ride with a skid lid (half helmet) even though it’s not DOT approved (1 inch foam padding on the inside) I feel something is better than nothing and it does help when you are doing a header over the bars

I always wear a full face helmet, jacket, gloves...
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Even if the law didn't require me to wear a helmet I still would. I think it's foolish not to (if you have a head worth protecting).
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

For me, it's always full face helmet, gloves, jacket, riding pants. ATGATT (all the gear all the time) That said, I think it should be up to the rider to decide. If someone doesnt want to wear a helmet, so what? He wont hurt anyone other than himself. It's natural selection at work, pure and simple.
    rocky likes this.

I wear a half-helmet whenever I ride, which is quite often thanks to heated gear. No ice on the road, I can ride.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    If someone doesnt want to wear a helmet, so what? He wont hurt anyone other than himself.
    That is not necessarily true. If they crash and somehow don't die, there MAY be a greater likelihood that they may end up with injuries that MIGHT have been reduced or none with a helmet and they may need greater public resources like hospital care and others. And some may say that is a far-fetched statement and it may be. But there are possible things that can hurt others (more likely not in the physical sense) if they are injured without the safety gear.

So, one can't state that unequivocally, but you are PROBABLY right in saying that.
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Helmets only work up to about 35mph. After that it's just something brightly colored to help them find your head.

I'm really surprised by some of the answers here...I guess the "Liberty mindset" is strictly limited to the 2A.
    WHEC724, Zsnake and Yankeejib like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Helmets only work up to about 35mph. After that it's just something brightly colored to help them find your head.

I'm really surprised by some of the answers here...I guess the "Liberty mindset" is strictly limited to the 2A.
    Just playing "devil's advocate here" but which part of the constitution would apply here? Not saying your wrong, but what would be the applicable part?
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

remember its not how fast you get there but how good you look doing it

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links