Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public? - Page 2

Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public?

This is a discussion on Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; IMHO Police evidence of any kind in an ongoing investigation should not be made public... After the trial, sure! Whatever they want show....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public?

IMHO Police evidence of any kind in an ongoing investigation should not be made public... After the trial, sure! Whatever they want show.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a double edged sword for sure. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    You're alive!
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public?
    Should names of people arrested be put in the local paper?

I was thinking about this when I saw on FOX a guy in the back of a police car singing Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. The man was obviously not firing on all cylinders. I was amused but thinking what if this guy needs real help. Now he looks like a lunatic. And he is only a suspect at the time. This also goes to putting the names of people arrested in the news. You know, the daily police reports in your home newspaper. I live in a small town and when your name is in the paper everybody knows about. And so does his/her employer, friends, co-workers, and friends of their kids.
    I am talking about arrest, not convictions.

By the time someone goes to trial or the police drop charges it is never in the newspaper to let folks know the guy did not do anything wrong.
    This happens a lot where someone is arrested and charges dropped.

I am no liberal or softy. But it can cuase a lingering stigma for a family when the person arrested did nothing wrong.

Short answer to your question is NO. Thing is....public records. Anything you do in public is subject to public demise pretty much. I can buy the weekly paper at E-Z Mart of those currently arrested or in county jail. This is not right especially if they have not yet gone to trial and been proven guilty of infractions of the law. It's a bad world we live in now. Registering child molesters and sex offenders needs to be done from day one. We're becoming victims of ourselves, or we are putting ourselves above our fellow man by treating them like diseased if arrested for misdemeanors, failure to pay traffic fines, etc...........those in county jails are all subject to violations of rights no matter if it's murder or crossing the double yellow line and not paying up. Sad state of affairs. Depressing actually. But I pride myself for not seeking a doctor or prescriptions to help me cope with what's become of our nation. My thoughts and emotions about what's going on in our country today will remain unimpeded by drugs or a doctor's care so long as I can resist the urge to ask for help when I really don't need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links