Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public?

This is a discussion on Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public? Should names of people arrested be put in the local paper? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Should videos made by police of suspects in custody be open to the public?

Should names of people arrested be put in the local paper?

I was thinking about this when I saw on FOX a guy in the back of a police car singing Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. The man was obviously not firing on all cylinders. I was amused but thinking what if this guy needs real help. Now he looks like a lunatic. And he is only a suspect at the time. This also goes to putting the names of people arrested in the news. You know, the daily police reports in your home newspaper. I live in a small town and when your name is in the paper everybody knows about. And so does his/her employer, friends, co-workers, and friends of their kids.
    I am talking about arrest, not convictions.

By the time someone goes to trial or the police drop charges it is never in the newspaper to let folks know the guy did not do anything wrong.
    This happens a lot where someone is arrested and charges dropped.

I am no liberal or softy. But it can cuase a lingering stigma for a family when the person arrested did nothing wrong.

Kind of divided on this one because it could go ether way, bad for the individual like you say Suntzu, or it could help the person in proving innocence. It is all in the way the video or other information about the person is presented to the public.

The video of the guy robbing the bank, or those recently in my area showed two guys in a store after hours stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. They even damaged one of those cameras so they could not be seen. They didn't get the hidden one and the video provided by the store owner helped capture the thugs.

I understand what you are saying, but unless there is a law that does not permit featuring video, then we will most likely continue to see it happen. No definitive answer unless some guidelines are in place on how to handle this kind of thing.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

All that stuff (perp walk, etc.) should be left until after a conviction. I do agree with the posting/publishing/broadcasting of any video evidence, however, such as of a convenience store hold-up that might help catch the crook. I never understand when I see crime videos of crooks that are still at large, and the face is pixelated or blurred out.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Kind of divided on this one because it could go ether way, bad for the individual like you say Suntzu, or it could help the person in proving innocence. It is all in the way the video or other information about the person is presented to the public.

The video of the guy robbing the bank, or those recently in my area showed two guys in a store after hours stealing everything that wasn't nailed down. They even damaged one of those cameras so they could not be seen. They didn't get the hidden one and the video provided by the store owner helped capture the thugs.

I understand what you are saying, but unless there is a law that does not permit featuring video, then we will most likely continue to see it happen. No definitive answer unless some guidelines are in place on how to handle this kind of thing.
    As far as the video I am talking about official video that was done by the police. Not security cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    As far as the video I am talking about official video that was done by the police. Not security cameras.
    Yes I see my error after I posted.

It is a tough situation that has few if any guidelines and how that video is presented like I said can go either way depending on how one views it. I think that perhaps a lot more caution needs to happen when placing stuff like this out in the public sector.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Any videos made by the police should not be released until the person is convicted. As far as surveillance video of a crime scene I can see releasing that if it could be used to catch the criminals involved.
    suntzu and RoadKill like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Maybe they need to add verbiage when they talk to you - like 'Anything you say and do can and will be put on YouTube.'

Someone says it, I forget who - but 'Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.'

Like Rodney King??

Videos do not always show what they purport to show on the surface anyway. Watch a good defense attorney and prosecutor dissect a video frame by frame sometime and see what I mean. You will swear you are looking at 2 different videos. The news media can/will skew the clips they show into a corkscrew to suit their own bias. They certainly did it with Rodney King's infamous arrest.

If you can get access to a copy Court TV's 2 hour video of Officer's criminal trial it is definately worth watching. It has the entire controversial video with some freeze frames plus highlights of key wittness testimony including other passengers in King's car. If you are a use of force instructor the movie makes for some lively class discussion . Pre-conceived opinions of what happened based on what the MSM chose to show get challenged big time. How many remember the criminal verdict?
    Last edited by Paladin3840; March 31st, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

There actually is a point here worth considering, from the CCW-owner's point of view. So allow me to reframe this a bit.

We are now living in Orwell's 1984, just not in the way he imagined it. About half of all people in the US who have phones own smartphones. That means 1 of every 2 people you see can take pictures or shoot video of you, and upload it to the Internet almost instantly.

In the course of a normal day, you are photographed or video recorded about 300 times (gas station, market, parking lot, roadway, etc.). That number may be low, as it was the case in 2008. Today, could be a lot higher.

So as a citizen, if you want privacy, the operative guideline is: be normal. Don't do weird things.

Don't dance in the aisle of a store, don't sing Bohemian Rhapsody in the back of a squad car. Don't wear weird clothes and wind up on People of Wal-Mart.

Yes, you are still "free," if that word means something to you. But no, you are not "free" to behave in an unusual way and expect to have privacy. When you do things out of the ordinary pattern, people will notice it. They will take photos or video, and then share it with their friends on Facebook and similar. Worst case scenario: It goes viral.

Now, back to the subject: If you use your firearm for self-defense, that is an unusual thing. Expect any bystanders to record what they are seeing. If you're in public, assume that some security camera in the vicinity has recorded it. The 911 calls will be public, and on TV and the radio.

In just the space of a few years, things have gotten quite different and it's important to understand that.
    oneshot, RoadKill and atctimmy like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    According to the article I read, the Alleged drunk guy posted the vid himself.

I'm skeptical of this who scenario,,,

Why wasn't the Guy handcuffed?

Why was he allowed to video himself?

He sure was cussing a lot,

(in the full length 10 min. version),
    not the one I've linked here,,, Drunk singing: Man styles 'Bohemian Rhapsody' in police car - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

I'm wondering if it was a slow night there, and maybe this was staged????

I say the police/media should be bound to show the whole episode, so the facts cannot be misconstrued.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Should names of people arrested be put in the local paper?

If this was ended, Nancy Grace would have to find a real job.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    According to the article I read, the Alleged drunk guy posted the vid himself.

They should sell copies of the videos and mug shots as soveniers like they do at the amusement park when you ride the roller coaster

Administrator
    Its a double edged sword for sure. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a double edged sword for sure. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
    If you are refering how it pertains to LEO's being taped by civillians or the use of official video to show police misconduct. I don't care if they show it after a conviction. Just not before unless needded to identify someone i.e during a traffic stop a LEO is shot and the BG's get away. That is used for investigation.

BTW:Welcome back

VIP Member
    Wow. My dog sings better than that.

I'm still of the belief that we are responsible (and therefore accountable) for our actions. If I do something shameful in public and it gets on video, who am I really to blame?
    kb2wji likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links