Buyer - Be aware when you compare prices o -line

This is a discussion on Buyer - Be aware when you compare prices o -line within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Millions of consumers now use Internet search engines to find items by Internet to compare prices. The most popular search engine is Google Shopping. The ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2nd AMEN

Thread: Buyer - Be aware when you compare prices o -line

VIP Member

Buyer - Be aware when you compare prices o -line

Millions of consumers now use Internet search engines to find items by Internet to compare prices.

The most popular search engine is Google Shopping. The second most popular comparison shopping site is Nextag, followed by Shopzilla/Bisrate, Yahoo shopping, TheFind, Pronto, Shop.com, and so on. Amazon is not included here as it is not actually a price comparison shopping website.

What you as a consumer should know is that while you may be able to find the lowest price, it will seldom if ever be at the top of the list. You may need to start your search at about page 100 to find true lowest price.

Search comparison sites are known to merchants as PPC's or Pay Per Click. Merchants pay an advertising price for each item they list. Items like ammunition (where allowed to be advertised) may cost a merchant $.40-.50 each time a person clicks on and opens a website to view details. Other items, Such as holsters, apparel, and electronics can cost a merchant up to $4.00 or more per click.

Merchants with huge advertising budgets pay the comparison website an additional "bid" price to have their item listed higher in page rank. These advertisers are seldom if ever actually the lowest price.

Do not be fooled by 5 stars next to a merchants listing. The merchant also pays the advertiser extra for stars and even a listing with a company logo.

Also be aware of shipping rates. There is no Santa clause and there is NO such thing as FREE SHIPPING. anyone advertising free shipping is building the shipping cost into the price of the item.

Even expedited 3 day Select or Priority shipping can be double the cost of Ground shipping. Firearms are an exception. Handguns are normally shipped by 2 day air to a transferring FFL (they can be transfered between FFL's by USPS by filling out an additional declaration form and hand delivering to a post office).
    Insurance should be included it your shipping cost. Each $100 of of valuation above $50 will cost the merchant. A $500.00 item will cost about $2.10 to $3.00 depending on tare weight and zip code. If you are asked by the merchant to pay additional for insurance, my advise is is to pass on that merchant and keep browsing.

Sales Tax One of the largest Internet firearms dealer advertising on comparison shopping websites charges tax to every customer in every state. Most on-line firearms dealers (merchants) only charge sales tax if the item is purchased or shipped to a destination in the same state where the merchant has a presence, either a store or a distribution center or both.

If you say you only buy from your local GS. Don't comment. That is not what this thread is about. Do be aware however that even your local GS probably has a website unless he is still living in the dark ages.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good advice,
    Unfortuntely not everyone who buys/searches for products online knows about or understands the ins and outs and little dirty secrets.
    Oftentimes its females and younger kids who shop and are "too busy" to worry about it.

Thanks for posting.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks, put another feather in my cap. Guilty as charged. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks

VIP Member
    I can always beat online prices and shipping for my students, but sales tax evens it out. With online firearms purchases, you need to factor in the local transfer fee and the seller's willingness to refund an unsatisfactory purchase.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I'm a pretty good shopper. My family and friends are always calling "can you find xxxx for me?"
    90% of my online shopping is through Amazon. I got hooked when I signed up for there free three month Amazon Mom program.
    An Amazon Mom can be a mom, dad, grandparent, or caretaker etc. of a youngin.

You get deals on diapers formula toys etc. PLUS free two day shipping on all Amazon Prime items or $3.99 one day shipping (FedEx overnight)
    After my free trial ran out I signed up for there Prime Membership ($79) to keep enjoying the fast shipping and great deals.
    Yesterday (Friday) I ordered a new pair of Nike's and they were on my deck this (Saturday) morning!
    I would have spent $10 in fuel plus my time going into town shopping for a crummy retail deal!

They also have a free six month Amazon Student Program.

Amazon Mom

Amazon Student
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    There is no Santa clause...
    WHAT??!??

Crescentstar likes this.
    Inactive US Marine 74-82 . NRA Life Member . GOA Member . Florida CWP holder

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    After my free trial ran out I signed up for there Prime Membership ($79) to keep enjoying the fast shipping and great deals. Yesterday (Friday) I ordered a new pair of Nike's and they were on my deck this (Saturday) morning! I would have spent $10 in fuel plus my time going into town shopping for a crummy retail deal!
    So you spent $79 to save $10 and a little bit of time? And you say...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I'm a pretty good shopper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I can always beat on-line prices and shipping for my students, but sales tax evens it out. With on-line firearms purchases, you need to factor in the local transfer fee and the seller's willingness to refund an unsatisfactory purchase.
    Always? That is a bold statement unless you are willing to sell at or below manufacture/distributor cost. I will normally extend special discounts to law enforcement and will also will consider special discounts for group sales (buying clubs can save big this way).

Sales tax rates originate at the sellers location. Nationally rates can vary between 0% to over 9%. The rate is based on a state sales tax rate + any additional county and/or city tax rate that can add as much as 3% to a a given state base sales tax rate.

While it is true that transferring FFL's will charge a small transfer fee, it should be remembered that nothing is totally free. A local gun shop charges you by marking up the cost of the firearm. You fill out Part A of ATF Form 4473. The FFL dealer must finish filling out the other 3 pages, Call NICS for a background check and then record the transaction in his bound book within the close of next business day. Then he must keep your record properly filed for 20 years.

When you purchase on-line, the savings should be significant enough to offset the transfer cost you negotiate with a transferring FFL in your state. The average transfer cost is $25.00 or less. Any dealer who charges more, probably does not want to be bothered and you should find another willing FFL, there are 44,000, 01-07 FFL's in The US. Hundreds or thousands in every state. Many pawn brokers are also FFL's and can transfer firearms.

NO honest FFL will accept the return of a used firearm and resell it as new.Once you fire a weapon, it is used. Once you drive a new car of a car dealers lot it is used.

If you return a firearm after firing it, a local gun shop will usually take it back but will normally deduct about 1/5th of the retail cost you paid. Possible exception to this rule of thumb is if the dealer sold the gun at a high enough mark up that he is able to absorb the cost. In that case the buyer is a sucker for buying at an overly inflated high mark up to begin with.

Most reputable Internet gun dealers will allow most items to be returned as long as they are returned in good condition and returned in the original package (opened or unopened usually makes no difference). A restocking charge of 20% is common. You will also pay the return shipping.

Restocking charge is a loose term. In the case of a used firearm, it will not be put back on the shelf as new. it will be sold in store as used or sold to a broker/liquidator of used firearms.

If the item be it a gun or accessory package appears visibly damaged upon delivery, the buyer should not accept the delivery from the carrier. If the item is defective or missing parts after opening the package, most on-line retailers will take the item back + reimburse the return shipping cost. We even provide a printable RMA label and email it it to the customer.

If the item breaks while under the manufactures warranty, it is not returned to the local GS or to the on-Line retailer. It is returned to the manufacture. The reason for return to manufacture is because most local gun shops and most on-line sellers are not authorized by the manufacture to make repairs. The warranty will normally become instantly VOID if an unauthorized (local or otherwise) gunsmith makes what might appear to be even a minor repair.

In no case will most sellers, local or on-line, take back ammunition for return. They simply can't tell the state of the ammo by appearance. If resold, and it turns out to be mixed with reloads, resold and then blows up a gun, or cause someone to be injured the seller is of course liable
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    In my next post, I will discuss another little known practice that affects the consumer. It is known as MAP Pricing or Retail Price Maintenance. No matter what manufactures calls it, it collusion between manufacture and distributor and price fixing. It is illegal in 38 states but is very common in the industry.

This practice causes guns and accessories to be sold not at a fair market price but at a price dictated by the manufacture. This hurts free trade and normal competition between buyers. It also costs you the consumer as much as 40% more for some items.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd AMEN View Post

Considering I've spent over $2,300 in 2011 at Amazon...

If you buy lets say 10 measly items a year online and pay for UPS ground...

that's $100+ just in shipping costs alone.

Buy one heavy item like exercise equipment and your eyes roll back when you see the shipping costs!

Add in the fuel costs running around town from store to store thinking your saving a few pennies...

Dam right, I save a bundle last year!

ETA: don't forget the sales tax savings + plus the wear & tear on your vehicles running all over town, getting stressed out sitting in traffic!
    I can buy a $3 electronics cable at Amazon, that only a brick and mortar store like Radio Shack has locally. It's at my door in two days. OTOH If I were to drive to Radio Shack and pay $15 (over priced) for the same item plus my fuel and time... It's a no brainier!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    In my next post, I will discuss another little known practice that affects the consumer. It is known as MAP Pricing or Retail Price Maintenance. No matter what manufactures calls it, it collusion between manufacture and distributor and price fixing. It is illegal in 38 states but is very common in the industry.

This practice causes guns and accessories to be sold not at a fair market price but at a price dictated by the manufacture. This hurts free trade and normal competition between buyers. It also costs you the consumer as much as 40% more for some items.

You mean like the price of gasoline/diesel fuel Americans are paying at the pump?

When Crude oil was @ $146/barrel in the summer of '08, we were paying almost $4 a gallon.

Now Crude oil is $105 a barrel, and we are paying $4 a gallon.

As evidenced here;
    Gas Price Historical Price Charts - GasBuddy.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Santa is real 2nd AM....You just have to BELIEVE...met him & he's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Santa is real 2nd AM....You just have to BELIEVE...met him & he's pretty cool.
    Oh thank God. My heart skipped a beat there!!

Thanks Gunsmoke16!

cj
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd AMEN View Post
    As a somewhat 'pro' deal shopper, I'll have to chime in on this one. $79 a year doesn't just get you faster shipping (which, with a young one, can be important...ever live in a small town and have a car seat break with the only local replacement options being cheap junk I wouldn't put my dog in? Pay the extra $5 and get a $50 pound box on my doorstep the next morning)...we pay no cable or Netflix since we can stream Amazon movies for free from there...so even if you didn't count shipping, we get any movie entertainment for less than $7 a month.

Plus, we just add it as a wish list item each year, and someone always gives it to us as a gift for one holiday or another...nice since they won't give me guns or ammo :(

BUT, back on the original topic, even with my bargain hunting/cash-back-collecting/money-saving approaches, I still try to support my LGS as much as possible. They DON'T have a website (if they ever do, it will probably be because I make one for them and then tell them what the URL is), but they're the best, friendliest place to get my hands on newer stuff...so if it's not something like 30% cheaper somewhere, I use them...and I still feel guilty when I trade for something that needs to be transferred in!

Links