It only took thirty years.

This is a discussion on It only took thirty years. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tomorrow my wife is going to the range for the first time after almost 30 years of ignoring me. My shooting partner's wife is going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: It only took thirty years.

It only took thirty years.

Tomorrow my wife is going to the range for the first time after almost 30 years of ignoring me.

My shooting partner's wife is going to introduce her to my/our world...and I couldn't be happier for her. (and frankly for me as well) I'm going to hand out the coffee and then disappear to the rifle range for the rest of the day.

The plan I'm told is to start her off with my Ruger Mark III and then my LCR with some cowboy loads. If she's ready she will shoot her LCP9. If not, no problem. She will have many sunny days and opportunities awaiting her.

We have had many after dinner talks about her decision and she said to me recently that she is ready to learn. She will never be a "tactical woman" but if she is willing to pick the dam thing up and squeeze the trigger should it ever be required...that's about all I could ask of her.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Well, that's cause for celebration!

Glad she finally made the choice for herself. Getting the disinclined to the range is like pushing on a rope... the rope might move but the result won't be useful. Hope she enjoys herself!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Wishing you - and her - the very best. Good idea to head for the hills as she starts, I should think. Take her out for a nice meal afterwards, too: it isn't quite bribery and it isn't quite Pavlovian, but it wouldn't hurt.
    Olduser likes this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    congrags, the mark 3 is a good choice to start her on, not sure if I would try the LCP might be a little bit snappy...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Congrats!

Well, you better get in some practice. My experience has been, women are often more accurate shooters than men.

I used to hate it when my Ex decided to shoot some...... hated it..... she made the rest of us look so BAD... the Army trained her and did a good job of it too.

I never would have believed it , if I hadn't seen it happen myself, but she put 10 rounds one day into the same hole..... dead center in the target. The hole was the equivalent of about 1 1/2 the normal hole size. We didn't believe it either really, until we dug out all 10 rounds out of the wood behind the target, right on top of each other. Her nickname after that, was Annie Oakley.

Hope she gets to enjoy it and gets good at it. It could be the thing that saves her life some day.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I went through a similar time with my wife a few years ago. Once she got the bug, it cost me a fortune in new guns for her. She doesn't carry even now, or rarely does she, but she's much more comfortable with weapons. At minimum she's happy with her modified 20 gauge in the pantry. So it was all worth it. Good luck.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    Tomorrow my wife is going to the range for the first time after almost 30 years of ignoring me.

My shooting partner's wife is going to introduce her to my/our world...and I couldn't be happier for her. (and frankly for me as well) I'm going to hand out the coffee and then disappear to the rifle range for the rest of the day.

The plan I'm told is to start her off with my Ruger Mark III and then my LCR with some cowboy loads. If she's ready she will shoot her LCP9. If not, no problem. She will have many sunny days and opportunities awaiting her.

We have had many after dinner talks about her decision and she said to me recently that she is ready to learn. She will never be a "tactical woman" but if she is willing to pick the dam thing up and squeeze the trigger should it ever be required...that's about all I could ask of her.
    Well, you've shown me that my situation isn't hopeless... I've been trying for almost 6 years. She used to go when we were dating... after we got married, she started hating guns.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Well, you've shown me that my situation isn't hopeless... I've been trying for almost 6 years. She used to go when we were dating... after we got married, she started hating guns.

^^^^^^^That right there ^^^^^^^^^^

is loony!

Olduser,,
    glad your wife finally came around.
    Wonder what the compelling reason was???
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Awesome! Glad to hear it.
    To make a long story short, it took my wife 16 years to get the "guns are bad" idea out of her head. One day she just said "let's go shooting". I said "ok, let's do".
    She started slowly and I didn't push or try to force her to shoot what she wasnt ready to shoot. Now, 3 years later, she has confiscated my G27 and can make my 870 sing!

Again, congrats and let us know how it goes!
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

It took 30 years, but at the very least has made the decision to do it. She could have refused and you would still be waiting.

My wife never got much opportunity to shoot before we got married and she moved from Illinois to here. She wanted to learn how to use the handguns and rifles just in case I was gone and she was there alone. It progressed from that to shooting at the range to getting her concealed carry permit, to having an LCP and then her new LCR. My wife loves to go to the range and like someone mentioned in an earlier post, most women shoot the target very well. Mine never missed hers at the range getting her WV permit. It is a reqirement for WV Permit and she nailed it with all 30 rounds. Even the metal knock down targets that were not part of the requirement but our Sheriff wanted to let them do it. She knocked down all eight without a single miss.

This is something you and your wife can both enjoy to the max. Good for her!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Good to hear, I hope she has a good time and continues to shoot with you....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Well, you beat me...took my wife 32 years!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My goodness, I'm so dam proud of her. Her coach was supportive, patient, humorous and deadly serious about safety. Her grip needs a lot of work, but today she just wanted her to pull the trigger. And did she. The woman is fearless. She shot everything I brought today and I didn't think we would get near the LCP9. I just don't know what to feel at the moment, but I think I may have the shooting buddy I've always wanted.

During the morning I overheard my wife say, "our" safe.

First time ever to handle a gun

Ruger M III

Ruger .32 single action

Ruger LCR .38 cowboy loads

Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP9
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Man those are some awesome pics! Sweet!

My wife has a Ruger LCP and an LCR in .357 magnum and shoots both like a champ.

I think you have your wife "hooked" with the shooting bug! Nice!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links