Greed

This is a discussion on Greed within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Rears its ugly head: In Maryland, the winning ticket was sold at a 7-Eleven store in Milford Mill, near Baltimore. Maryland does not require lottery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Greed

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar

Greed

Rears its ugly head:

In Maryland, the winning ticket was sold at a 7-Eleven store in Milford Mill, near Baltimore. Maryland does not require lottery winners to be publicly identified; the Mega Millions winner can claim the prize anonymously.

But Mirlande Wilson, 37, came forward Sunday and told the New York Post she had bought the winning ticket in Maryland.

Wilson and her co-workers at a Baltimore-area McDonald's restaurant pooled their cash to buy tickets, but, according to the Post, the woman claims she won with a ticket she bought for herself and has no intention of sharing.

“We had a group plan, but I went and played by myself," Wilson, a single mother of seven, told the newspaper. "[The ‘winning’ ticket] wasn’t on the group plan."

“She can’ t do this to us!” Suleiman Osman Husein, a shift manager and one of 15 members in the pool, told the Post. “We each paid $5. She took everybody’s money!”

The woman refused to show the alleged winning ticket, saying she would present it to lottery officials Monday. But a clerk at the 7-Eleven where Wilson bought tickets said lottery officials who reviewed the store’s video believe a man bought the winning ticket, the Post reported.

2. Remove Ads

What goes around comes around.

Not the first time this has been claimed after a group win.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Always get it in writing and always make sure everyone has a photocopy of every ticket the pool paid for.
    rickohio, oneshot and Tzadik like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Really, what is she going to do with all that money all by herself.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Really, what is she going to do with all that money all by herself.
    Go bankrupt inside of a decade.

Winning Big Can Lead To Bankruptcy - Filing Bankruptcy News
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

They just had a court case over this same thing,the guy that claimed he won on a ticket that wasn't part of the group buy lost,he had to pay the other people,but for some reason it wasn't an equal split.
    This lady id full of it,she will find out real quick when she claims the money and all her assets are frozen by a court until the lawsuit is heard
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

PB2
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    This lady id full of it,she will find out real quick when she claims the money and all her assets are frozen by a court until the lawsuit is heard
    She works at McDonald's, how many "assets" can she have?

I understand her greed, who would want to share 220 million with 15 other people, my goodness...who could live with just 14.6 million?
    I'm telling you...people expect too much these days.
    Hopyard likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    She works at McDonald's, how many "assets" can she have?
    An extensive collection of highly sought after collectible happy meal toys, and she probably didn't buy very many happy meals.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

How is this greed? If the winning numbers are not on the photocopy in the safe and that as given to every participant, then the winning ticket is HERS

I have a club at work and we all chip in for 'tickets'. We all understand that we may buy our own tickets as well as having 'club' tickets.
    Copies are made of the tickets purchased for the club, everyone gets a copy ahead of the draw date, and each individual signs for that week's ticket copies.
    Not everyone plays every week, but any tickets/winnings are clearly copied and signed for...we all understand why.

Hopefully, this group did something similar.
    But if you had a club like this and won THAT much money, why not share...don't have to, but how much is enough?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

“We had a group plan, but I went and played by myself," Wilson, a single mother of seven, told the newspaper. "[The ‘winning’ ticket] wasn’t on the group plan."
    Whatcha want to bet... 7 baby daddies be wanna come back home!

Now that's what I call a "group plan"
    joker1 and adric22 like this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    How is this greed? If the winning numbers are not on the photocopy in the safe and that as given to every participant, then the winning ticket is HERS
    Is there a photocopy in a safe? We don't know.
    Was there a group plan? Even she admits there was.
    Were the participants in the group given a copy? Again we don't know.

So, there was a group plan but she "played by herself."

Conclusion? You decide.

I was in a group plan and I played by myself as well. I wasn't aware this was against the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links