New Bond....that's JAMES BOND....is a MAN'S MAN...

This is a discussion on New Bond....that's JAMES BOND....is a MAN'S MAN... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Old Chief What would one expect from a British subject; as opposed to a citizen? Actually, the native born inhabitants of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bond....that's JAMES BOND....is a MAN'S MAN...

Citizen vs Subject

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    What would one expect from a British subject; as opposed to a citizen?
    Actually, the native born inhabitants of the UK are citizens, not subjects.

British Subjects are, or were, typically people who lived in a country that was under British rule, for example India. The term is somewhat out of date now, with the term subject there simply because there is a monarch. The country is governed however to all intents and purposes by a government. An elected goverment, just like here.

Of course, you can choose to believe your media, or you can research it a bit. Here is a link to get you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_citizen

Someones nationality does not make them more or less anti gun. There are more than enough 100 percent Americans who would LOVE to take your guns aways from you. The main reason they haven't been able to succeed is 2A. Thank the foresight of a few very smart men for that.

And there are plenty of Ex-pat Brits here who are passionately pro gun. Even more so seeing as they saw what happene when you give an inch.
    Last edited by Fragman; September 2nd, 2006 at 05:48 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I take a couple months off and this is the first post I come back to. Oh well.

He's an actor, he was playing a part, who cares. I care about him kissing another man the same amount I care what he thinks about guns, very little. Last I checked, we're not letting celebrities create law praise be. Ooops, forgot about President Reagan.

The only thing I care about movies, is did it entertain me in some fashion.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    now that's a genious......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

The Governator's views

Just our of curiousity, does anyone know how Ahnold, the Governator, views guns/ccw/etc.

And by the way, as far as Sean Connery is concerned, it's:

"Shaken, not shhhhtirred"

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post
    Just our of curiousity, does anyone know how Ahnold, the Governator, views guns/ccw/etc.
    Are you kidding? His pop was a nazi and the leaves don't fall far from the tree. Arnold is a real disappointment to gun owners considering he's made GO-zillions of bucks from gunfire in his career. He's a "Ban 'em ALL" kind of a guy. A fiscal conservative and a social issue "uber LIBERAL." Like all Europeans he will never quite "get" it when it comes to Americans and the 2nd Amendment.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; September 5th, 2006 at 06:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Gents,

I can't agree with nationality being directly linked to pro- or anti-gun sentiments.

I am primarily Irish and German. My paternal grandfather was an avid hunter, and during WWII training, scored 196/200 on the rifle qualifications. I don't know how good that is, but it can't be bad. He was also somewhat of a showoff and trickshot with a good .22 rifle in his youth.

Similarly, my mother's father was a courier in the European theater during the War. As such he would have likely carried a 1911, though I can't find much out about what he did. It's still highly classified for some reason.

There also seemed to be an increase in the pro-gun crowd in Europe during WWII: Even a piece like the FP .45 (Liberator) manufactured by the Guidelamp Division of General Motors wouldn't be turned down, though to be fair, I've not found that many, if any at all, found their way to the Resistance.

Though not violent, my family isn't anti-gun and the furthest back I've been able to trace any branch is the 1830s. Most branches are more recent, and we do not have a history of anti-gun sentiment. The most anti-gun person in my family, in fact, is my mother, and she took the opportunity to shoot my pistol under my instruction, hitting the target dead center!

We're a country made of many nationalities who came here because of persecution. Perhaps some of that persecution was firearms related?

Just some thoughts.

Josh <><

I also heard (not verified, so if it's crap, so sorry) that the new Bond can't drive a stick, so they had to change one of the scenes?
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole View Post
    I also heard (not verified, so if it's crap, so sorry) that the new Bond can't drive a stick, so they had to change one of the scenes?
    It is pretty unlikely that a Brit can't drive a stick, unless he is unable to drive at all. The majority of cars are sticks and the Brits don't care much for auto transmissions. In fact, if you pass your driving test in a car fitted with an auto transmission, you are licensed ONLY to drive cars with autos. Consequently, everyone learns how to drive in a stick. Only a very small percentage have the auto only license.

I lived there 34 years and never met anyone who could not drive a stick.

Of course, that doesn't mean it isn't true, but it IS very unlikely.

They showed the trailer on TV the other night. I hate to say it, but it was very intrigueing. Looks like they might be going for a little less cheek and a little more darkness. Could be fun.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    They showed the trailer on TV the other night. I hate to say it, but it was very intrigueing. Looks like they might be going for a little less cheek and a little more darkness. Could be fun.
    NNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! It is the witty and subtle humor that I like. Plus guns, cool cars, gadgets, oh and I almost forgot, BOND GIRLS.

They can't mess with the Bond formula. This sounds alot like "New" Coke.UUUUUHHHHGGGGGGG!
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; September 7th, 2006 at 11:52 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    NNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! It is the witty and subtle humor that I like. Plus guns, cool cars, gadgets, oh and I almost forgot, BOND GIRLS.

They can't mess with the Bond formula. This sounds alot like "New" Coke.UUUUUHHHHGGGGGGG!
    I'm sure there will still be some of that in there. I never trust a trailer, but if you've read the books, Bond was always a much darker character than in the movies. I'm thinking they may do the same to Bond what they did with Batman, and that was sheer perfection if you got rid of Katie Holmes.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I'm sure there will still be some of that in there. I never trust a trailer, but if you've read the books, Bond was always a much darker character than in the movies. I'm thinking they may do the same to Bond what they did with Batman, and that was sheer perfection if you got rid of Katie Holmes.
    +1 to that.

Exclamation Metrosexual 007?

I never trust a trailer, but if you've read the books, Bond was always a much darker character than in the movies. I'm thinking they may do the same to Bond what they did with Batman.....
    The Timothy Dalton character was supposed to do that. He was okay. Pierce Brosnan was better. This guy is a freakin' blonde! I can't wait for the jokes to start. Antigun and he can't drive a stick? Lip locks with other guys (in other movies...yeah) But still a blonde, metrosexual 007....the times...they are a changin'
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    The Timothy Dalton character was supposed to do that. He was okay. Pierce Brosnan was better. This guy is a freakin' blonde! I can't wait for the jokes to start. Antigun and he can't drive a stick? Lip locks with other guys (in other movies...yeah) But still a blonde, metrosexual 007....the times...they are a changin'
    Hopefully this guy will end up like George Lazenby. You remember him don't you? Oh yeah, he was only in one movie so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    I say the next Bond movie should be a 1911 packing, Manhattan drinker .
    Nah, S&W .500 and a bottle of 151.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links