Navajo Cops and macing incident

This is a discussion on Navajo Cops and macing incident within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was watching the show Navajo Cops when the guy got a call about a road rage incident at a tourist spot,a Bus Driver had ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Navajo Cops and macing incident

Navajo Cops and macing incident

I was watching the show Navajo Cops when the guy got a call about a road rage incident at a tourist spot,a Bus Driver had been maced,and was having trouble breathing so an ambulance was dispatched,when the Cop showed up the guy was being treated,according to the drivers statement some guy was driving slow taking pictures and he honked to let him know to speed up,when he pulled into the tourist stop the guy in the car supposedly boxed him in and got out yelling at him,the bus driver said next thing he knows and the guy maces him.
    The main point I got from this was the Cops got the mace,it was a can of bear mace and they were reading "NOT TO BE USED ON HUMANS" they made a big deal on the fact that he used a product that wasn't made for human use.A State Trooper showed up to take over the investigation since the parties were not Native.
    Sometimes we point out alternative things to use in case of an attack,but there is a very real possibility that if you use a product not made for humans,you feel is non lethal in a situation where LEO finds you weren't justified,and if that individual has an adverse reaction and dies you could be looking at being charged with manslaughter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    :SNIP:
    The main point I got from this was the Cops got the mace,it was a can of bear mace and they were reading "NOT TO BE USED ON HUMANS" they made a big deal on the fact that he used a product that wasn't made for human use.A State Trooper showed up to take over the investigation since the parties were not Native.
    Sometimes we point out alternative things to use in case of an attack,but there is a very real possibility that if you use a product not made for humans,you feel is non lethal in a situation where LEO finds you weren't justified,and if that individual has an adverse reaction and dies you could be looking at being charged with manslaughter
    Only referring to this part of the post. Couldn't this same problem happen with anything might use to defend themselves with? What if you were to throw hot coffee in the eyes of an attacker and blind him? What about a rancher or farmer who grabs his Hot Shot electric prod he carries in his truck for working his cattle?
    Neither of these items are meant to be used for protection against humans.

Michael

To be honest you never know what a Prosecutor will try,not to mention Lawyers coming after you in a civil Judgement.
    The guy that maced the bus driver,kept repeating I was in fear for my safety,but if an investigation shows that he was the agressor and escalated the situation he could need a lawyer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I was watching the show Navajo Cops when the guy got a call about a road rage incident at a tourist spot,a Bus Driver had been maced,and was having trouble breathing so an ambulance was dispatched,when the Cop showed up the guy was being treated,according to the drivers statement some guy was driving slow taking pictures and he honked to let him know to speed up,when he pulled into the tourist stop the guy in the car supposedly boxed him in and got out yelling at him,the bus driver said next thing he knows and the guy maces him.
    I think about this very thing when people suggest 'wasp spray' as a weapon...not good.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1- I will do my best to stay on the right side of the law.

2- I will use anything I can get my hands on to defend myself if someone intends on harming me or mine.

The rest I'll sort out later.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Flip it around. How easy would it be to prove a self-defense case if, after being wrongly or accidentally pepper-sprayed, one were to pummel the sprayer in an OC-induced psychotic rage?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    So, essentially the bus driver was assaulted. The fact that the "weapon" used was not approved for use on humans would be secondary to the basic assault, but would certainly be damaging to the perp's defense-especially in any civil case. I don't know about any cautions on the Bear Spray, but many products have a warning that it is against Federal law to use this product inconsistent with its intended purpose, or words to that effect.

Here is another thought, perhaps equally germane to this post: Would the bus driver, having been unjustly assaulted with pepper spray and possibly fearing for his life, then be justified in using lethal force to defend himself-supposing that he was capable of it?

Senior Moderator
    Here is another thought, perhaps equally germane to this post: Would the bus driver, having been unjustly assaulted with pepper spray and possibly fearing for his life, then be justified in using lethal force to defend himself-supposing that he was capable of it?
    If the bus driver was toting, in fear for his life, and could articulate to a jury of his peers that he feared losing control of his weapon, he might get away with it.

That has been used successfully in the past for police officers, so it could happen.

With that being said, I'd hate to be the first test case.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What does law say about slow moving vehicle on a lane with no passing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I have not been able to find any cases of true self defense where there was a question about the type of weapon a person might have used to protect themselves with. I have found cases of excessive force and force escalation but nothing else.

Michael

I dont belive "Bear" mace or "repellant" is more potent than LE issue mace...less capsasine in "animal grade", so as to not undully harm them...if you read the labels manufacturer's give capsasine content by percent...I doubt the bus driver would be able to tell the difference...hope the authoritys get the mutt...and they us some pepper spray...

Links