Do we have to wait...

This is a discussion on Do we have to wait... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...for the case in Sanford to begin or is it ok to start discussing things again?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Do we have to wait...

Do we have to wait...

...for the case in Sanford to begin or is it ok to start discussing things again?
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

2. Remove Ads

Apparently.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

VIP Member
    Under Florida law, second degree murder is the unlawful killing of a person when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind, regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual.

With so many questions as to the facts of the case, second degree muder is a high hurdle. "Depravity of mind is characterized by an inherent deficiency of moral sense and integrity. It consists of evil, corrupt and perverted intent which is devoid of regard for human dignity and which is indifferent to human life. It is a state of mind outrageously horrible or inhuman." - Legal Definition of Depravity Of Mind

Can one say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Zimmerman was following Martin with "depravity of mind"?

Florida’s “StandYour Ground” law says that an individual may use deadly force if they feel their life, or the lives of their loved one, are threatened or in danger.

State attorney Corey said that if stand your ground becomes an issue in the case, “we fight it.”

Such a clash of "facts" should result in a jury unable to convict.
    Hopyard and carracer like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I would have to say until the trial is over there isn't anything new to discuss,that hasn't already been.in the news and peoples opinions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I suggest we wait until we have the results of the court case. That way we can at least have something firm to discuss. Without sworn testimony all we have is speculation, and opinion based on speculation.

This court case will take more than a year to conlcude. There'll be plenty of time and issues to discuss as it all unfolds.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I can't see a conviction out of this one. I may be wrong?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    The mood of the much-anticipated news conference more closely resembled an announcement of candidacy than of upcoming court proceedings. This is a can't lose case for the prosecution, whichever way the jury decides. If a conviction is obtained, careers will be made, and if not, hey, we did our best to obtain justice.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    My only comment would be not on the case itself, but on the fact that SYG is endangered, and SYG is the essence of
    a viable self-defense.

While I can imagine circumstances in which murder 2 might be justified from what has made its way to the news,
    I also can not see how the immunity clause --last paragraph of the FL statute-- can be ignored as it appears it is being ignored,
    unless there is much more that the prosecutor knows that we don't.

This mess is going to make things difficult for everyone if SYG in FL and other states takes a hit.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

so we can't discuss a case that will have a very profound effect on Stand Your Ground Laws all over the country, and possibly our rights to carry firearms concealed?? Perfect.
    Yankeejib and MleeC like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I am wondering where the trial will be held, I am sure the first thing the defense will ask for will be a change of venue. With emotions running so high it will be difficult to find an unbiased jury in the central Florida area.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

No offense zonkers but I don't see my state changing a thing

My only real reason for opening this thread was to 'break the skin' of the subject after it was shut down.

We all have our opinions, but they really don't matter much. I'm happy to let it unfold over the next year or so.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    so we can't discuss a case that will have a very profound effect on Stand Your Ground Laws all over the country, and possibly our rights to carry firearms concealed?? Perfect.
    When more legiimate and substantiated info starts making its way out we'll probably take the lid off this can of worms.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

JD
    Administrator
    let me think on this and confer with the other staff on the matter...we may go ahead with this topic, but be advised that the moderator gloves will be off once discussion starts.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links