why is America so soft on criminals?

This is a discussion on why is America so soft on criminals? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I watched this episode on TV called "the detective's daughter". A stranger kidnapped a mother, raped her and then killed her a few hrs later. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: why is America so soft on criminals?

I watched this episode on TV called "the detective's daughter". A stranger kidnapped a mother, raped her and then killed her a few hrs later. Dude was caught and put on death role. TOO SOFT! He's gonna be sitting in prison wasting taxpayers' $$$ ...

Criminals should be slowly tortured by all means until he/she is dead.. Throw them in a pit of crocs or stone them to death..

It's called the 8th Amendment and rule of law. America already has one of the highest rates of incarceration in the world. America is anything but soft on crime and your version of torture is also a crime.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Moderator
    America already has one of the highest rates of incarceration in the world
    If you dont take out the trash, the can gets full.

Why dont we take out the trash?

It's because Americans are too soft and lazy.

The trash can is overflowing.
    America already has one of the highest rates of incarceration in the world
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hotguns , you told the truth on ur post......
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

We'll have just as much crime as we're willing to tolerate.

We tolerate absolutely everything these days except intolerance. Don't want any of that hanging about.

We also feel that fear of retribution should be banished from society as if fear of retribution is always a bad thing. So we attempt to stamp out anything that might smack of retribution, consequences under law, or "wages of sin." Don't want even the bad guys to be living under a cloud, don't cha know. I mean...given the chance it's certain that they will reform themselves on their own and become good little boys and girls.
    foxytwo and wmhawth like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The op is ridiculous. Why the mods keep this stuff up but don't allow curse words is beyond me.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    An old friend of mine is facing 43 years in prison for driving her boyfriend to a restaurant that he robbed at gunpoint, she did not go inside and did not have any weapon. 43 years for PTAC does not seem "soft" at all, I'm not saying she should not serve any time, she did make a big mistake, but a man who brutally murdered a girl over drugs in my city a few months earlier is facing 10-15 years. Our legal system is extremely messed up.

You think life in prison isn't any form of torture? OP has a lot more research to do than watching a TV show episode...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    I watched this episode on TV called "the detective's daughter". A stranger kidnapped a mother, raped her and then killed her a few hrs later. Dude was caught and put on death role. TOO SOFT! He's gonna be sitting in prison wasting taxpayers' $$$ ...

Criminals should be slowly tortured by all means until he/she is dead.. Throw them in a pit of crocs or stone them to death..
    Criminals? You mean those charged with a crime or proven guilty? Misdemeanors or felonies? Actually an accused (not proven guilty) law breaker has more rights than the rest of us before trial and sometimes after. Up to and including armed protection from the masses. I'd like to see taxpayer $$$ go towards fixing roads, educating teachers, supporting law enforcement health insurance, the elderly, and the list goes on. Unfortunately the real priorities have seemed to have gotten mixed up in due process. You and I can get upset about the way things are all we want to, but in the end it's rather unhealthy for us to do so.

The problem is some people think that no matter what somebody did that they should be allowed to live,they think that is somebodys son,dad,husband or sister,mom,wife.They forget that it costs a fortune to incarcerate people.I'm like Hotguns,if your a career criminal or your crime was so heinous you should never be released into Society again,then there should be daily executions
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unfortunately there are some acts you cannot recover from. I fail to see how it benefits either the perpertator or society to incarcerate them for the rest of their lives. In my opinion, for such crimes, the humane sentence is the death sentence - after a single timely appeal. Of course my view is not universally shared by modern society.

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Unfortunately there are some acts you cannot recover from. I fail to see how it benefits either the perpertator or society to incarcerate them for the rest of their lives. In my opinion, for such crimes, the humane sentence is the death sentence - after a single timely appeal. Of course my view is not universally shared by modern society.
    A hanging or the death penalty used to be a good deterrent. Not so anymore now that we're more humane about things. Man seems too willing to judge on some issues yet apathetic about others. Many have been incarcerated due to faulty investigations or evidence. The truly bad need to be dispelled IMO. Thing is......man should have never been left with the ultimate judgement since man can't prove himself as infallible. If you don't like the way the justice system works now, you always have the alternative of handing out justice however you see fit. Thing is....you may end up incarcerated with the rest of the criminals in the process. The rest of the story is between you an God.

I can see how some may argue over the length of sentences, but siting on death row for decades makes no sense...it should be a week at the most.
    I believe it's about a week in China...
    Badey likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think the intent is to be "civilized" and not just take a convicted criminal out and whack them. The intent is that we are somehow rising above the specter of capital punishment and evolving into an more understanding and forgiving society.

Yeah, right.

There are some, (Charles Manson for example, he was denied parole for the 12th time I believe) who has no redeeming qualities, has no chance of rehabilitation or putting back into society for what he set in motion. He should have been executed along with his family for the attrocities committed. Eye for an eye sounding, but removing someone from our society that will never, ever not in a million years be "rehabilitated" is basically the one and only answer. Keeping them locked up for the duration of their "life" to me is cruel and unusual. They have taken from society and they still do the longer they languish inside of a prison. The money, food, clothing they are scarfing up could be used to benefit some outside the prison who are in need.

Capital Punishment is not a deterrent to crime, it is simply the method of culling the herd so to speak. There is no answer to why people commit crime in the first place and we could debate it from now on. We seem soft on criminals because execution is ugly and many do not want it. As macho sounding as some are, I do not believe anyone would want to be the person administering the death of someone, even if it is a murderous evil person getting executed.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; April 12th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    boatman likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have a problem with people who seem to feel that watching someone tortured to death makes for some light hearted entertainment. What next, Cat-burning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia at the county fair?

VIP Member
    Here is a decent counter-point to the premise of this thread:
    Rough justice in America: Too many laws, too many prisoners | The Economist
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links