Motorcycle wreck kills woman, and I was there... - Page 3

Motorcycle wreck kills woman, and I was there...

This is a discussion on Motorcycle wreck kills woman, and I was there... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In EMS we call them "donor cycles." Even fools serve a purpose. It's the circle of life!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Motorcycle wreck kills woman, and I was there...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    In EMS we call them "donor cycles." Even fools serve a purpose. It's the circle of life!
    Bark'n and Spirit51 like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Employee assistance program

I know some people don't like help after seeing stuff like what you described, and it is completely up to you on how you deal with it, but remember we are always here for you.
    Many insurances provide counseling and other services as part of their coverage. It is worth asking.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

mkh
    Thanks for taking the time to get involved. Too many people just stand around looking stupid when action is what is needed.

Lean on your faith and trust God as to ow you should proceed with the husband.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    In EMS we call them "donor cycles." Even fools serve a purpose. It's the circle of life!
    First off, let me say a hearty thanks for your service as an paramedic. Now, I don't know what the statistics are related to fatalities on two wheeled vs. four wheeled vehicles per miles traveled, but I'm wondering what you can the four wheeled vehicles that are involved in a fatality..."donor mobiles"? Please don't tell me you're an anti-(motor)cyclist...

paaiyan, I hope you've been able to find some solace/peace, brother.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    First off, let me say a hearty thanks for your service as an paramedic. Now, I don't know what the statistics are related to fatalities on two wheeled vs. four wheeled vehicles per miles traveled, but I'm wondering what you can the four wheeled vehicles that are involved in a fatality..."donor mobiles"? Please don't tell me you're an anti-(motor)cyclist...

I can't speak for paramedic70002. I am certainly not anti-motorcyclist. However, I will confirm, the term donor-cycle, is a term frequently used in emergency medicine by EMS folks, Doctors, Nurses, Neurosurgeons and organ transplant teams.

As a matter of fact it was a St. Louis Neurosurgeon giving a lecture is where I first heard the term more than 20 years ago. I also believe he rode a Harley.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm sleeping better at least, and getting over my illness from Tuesday. The wife and I are going to write a card probably this weekend and send it to the funeral service, who informed me that they'll forward it to the family.
    Bark'n likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Just hang in there buddy. The card is an very nice gesture. Keep your chin up and spend some extra time with your wife doing something fun and out of the ordinary.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    You stopped to render aid, which was a very good thing. From the description you did the right things. Evaluate the scene for safety, check. Don't move the victim, check. Assess the victim, ABC, check.

Even though the female victim was never conscious before she died she may have known at some level a caring person was there. You did a great service for her.

I lost many patients over the years I worked in EMS. I carry those with me always. It is both a price to pay and an honor to have served them in some way. But as someone else said, it is not always up to us, but rather it's in God's hands. Do what you can, when you can, for who you can. You may never pass this way again.

You are an everyday hero, a true Good Samaritian in my book. Well done sir, to you and your wife, well done for stopping and rendering aid.

Nah. Not anti-MC. I think they're cool, but I don't ride. And if people want to ride recklessly and without a helmet, not my problem either. The thing is, cars now more than ever are built with seriously well thought out and impressive systems to prevent death. MCs not so much. Riding a MC is an inherently dangerous activity.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Nah. Not anti-MC. I think they're cool, but I don't ride. And if people want to ride recklessly and without a helmet, not my problem either. The thing is, cars now more than ever are built with seriously well thought out and impressive systems to prevent death. MCs not so much. Riding a MC is an inherently dangerous activity.
    Aren't guns "dangerous things" or shooting them a "dangerous activity" too??? Hmmm...
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I've learned something in my time and that is that its one thing to get called out and show up to find someone dead or mangled and its a WHOLE other thing to see it happen.
    Its easier said than done but just try not to dwell on it and let it keep you up at night.
    She knew the risk she was taking, she gambled and she lost. It's not on you by a long shot.
    Something else I've learned....people die and you can't save everyone. Just don't let it get to you.
    Kudos for trying though!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Aren't guns "dangerous things" or shooting them a "dangerous activity" too??? Hmmm...
    Yep. And there's nothing safer that does their job as well. What are you getting at?

Getting back on topic...

Paaiyan, I hope someone like you is around if I'm ever in need. You and your wife are awesome people. Prayers that you find peace, and you will, because you acted with kindness and compassion.
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links