Half truths, and lies.

This is a discussion on Half truths, and lies. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The anti gun folk tell us that we are more likely to die with out own gun being used against us.... That's a fiction... But ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Half truths, and lies.

Half truths, and lies.

The anti gun folk tell us that we are more likely to die with out own gun being used against us.... That's a fiction... But like all skilled liars, they couch their lies in truth... giving the appearance that what they are saying is fact, not opinion...

Biden was speaking on Face the Nation when he said, "The bulk of the people who are shot with a weapon — other than these drug gangs taking on one another — end up being shot with their own weapon."

BTW, don't bring politics into this, it is not meant as a political discussion... this is about what the anti gun folk do to convince those who are not certain of their stance on gun laws and self defense laws, etc. how "dangerous" guns are...

Here's the article from PolitiFact: Linky

Unfortunately, half truths are good enough for folks who don't think critically, and that is our (those of us who support guns as a means of self defense) stumbling block.

discussion?
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    What really irks me is how much free air time the networks give the anti's to spew their propaganda. Face the Nation
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter. Isaiah 5:20

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Eph 6:13

The tide is coming up, and there's not much we can do about it. There may come a day where I disagree with everyone around me. It won't matter and I won't budge.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    You can always tell when Biden, et.al. are lying...their lips are moving.
    Burns likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member
    This is not to disparage gun safety. And most gunshot fatalities are by suicide. However, "people don’t typically become the victim of assaults with their own guns." In this larger context, violent criminal assailants get shot by armed citizens more than gunowners commit suicide.
    This is common sense. If guns mostly killed their owners, it would get national attention like an epidemic. Instead, the trend finds that Americans are returning to embrace firearms as viable weapons of self defense.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Wasn’t it Joseph Goebbels that said “If you tell a lie often enough and loud enough people will accept it as fact”, biden, the brady bunch and and other anti-gunners are just continuing the tradition.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Even if the premise were true, and in fact more people got shot with their own guns then actually defended themselves,
    it seems likely that you'd have about the same outcome with any weapon used to defend, whether that was
    knives or bats or pepper; BGs would prevail anyway because they are more practiced at fighting. The
    defender would merely be at greater disadvantage than they are if they are armed with a firearm.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Doesn't matter how many gun deaths there are. Folks have no clue who they vote for and end up putting idiots in office who do more harm than good sometimes. But you don't see that as being used to take away voting rights. Rights are rights are rights. Period. If used in a felonious way we have a system to legally deny ones rights. Stupidyt, for good or bad, is not a reason to take rights away.

Sooooo..... informal poll. How many folks here know someone that has had a gun taken away and used against them? Leave suicide out of it, too personal anyway.

Personally, I know more people that own guns than don't. And I know no one that has had this happen.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter. Isaiah 5:20

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Eph 6:13

The tide is coming up, and there's not much we can do about it. There may come a day where I disagree with everyone around me. It won't matter and I won't budge.
    Reminds me of 2Tim4:3 for some reason...

I'll be standing there with ya WHEC724, and I figure there will be more who do so also than you think;

It's our heritage and in our blood.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

In most instances where people are shot with their own guns comes down to the following,They are not prepared to shoot another human and think that presenting a gun will scare the BG off,and or by the time they decide to shoot they have let the BG get too close and he disarms and over powers them.
    In most cases the way you control the situation will let the BG know real quick who is in charge,but with the Castle Doctrine in a lot of States the question of can I legally shoot somebody in my house has been removed and therefore people aren't afraid to pull the trigger just because they can't see a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    What Biden said regarding the bulk of people shot in this country is simply false. What half-truth was that lie hidden within?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    He is good at twisting the stats in his favor. But he is not the master of the sliver tongue.

Half truths are god enough for those with half a brain....cell.
    msgt/ret and Hoganbeg like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links