Interesting Morning at School

This is a discussion on Interesting Morning at School within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For just a little bit of backstory, I recently uploaded a picture to my Facebook of the back of my truck during a recent shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Interesting Morning at School

For just a little bit of backstory, I recently uploaded a picture to my Facebook of the back of my truck during a recent shooting excursion for my shooting buddies. It was nothing major by most peoples standards here, but it was my entire collection of three rifles and two handguns. Several professors are "friends" on the site, and I'm not too worried about anyone getting the wrong idea, because in order to get to these pictures, you have to pass others that show I am a pretty avid hunter and target/sport shooter...pretty standard things for this region.

This morning I met a professor in the hallways who I would consider to be one of my better mentors at that school. A little in to our conversation, he brought up that word has been getting around the office that I'm a guy you don't want to mess with. I gave a quick explanation of the steps one has to go through every time you buy and that I'm one of the good guys, and I reminded him that I've had to go through the state and federal background checks needed to work in public schools. After this, the teacher mentioned that one of his friends got a gun from his wife for christmas and how much fun he said it was. The teacher then surprised me by saying he was looking to buy one so they could take some beginners classes at a local range. In the three years I've known him, he doesn't seem to be on either end of the political spectrum, but he never really came off as the shooting sports type.

The conversation didn't go any further as we both had classes to attend, but I am wondering if I should try and strike up the conversation again or if I should let him bring the issue up again. A few classmates have approached me over time to learn to shoot, but I've never actively tried to go around converting people because the art/music crowd tends to not share many of my views.
    Last edited by tubadude; April 19th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.

In this day and the sensitivty of your situation in a school, I would remain as silent as possible, unless quired of course.

The teacher then surprised me by saying he was looking to buy one so they could take some beginners classes at a local range.
    If you like him, and want to, offer to go to a range with him so he can take some lessons, rent some different guns, develop some skills.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    because the art crowd tends to not share many of my views.
    I feel your pain. I always got an odd look when I told folks I was an art major. A couple of people even responded, "But you're so normal." lol What are you studying? I ended up getting out of the major and taking a minor in art instead. Mostly pencil, pen and ink, and a bit of oil painting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I feel your pain. I always got an odd look when I told folks I was an art major. A couple of people even responded, "But you're so normal." lol What are you studying? I ended up getting out of the major and taking a minor in art instead. Mostly pencil, pen and ink, and a bit of oil painting.
    This brings back some very old college memories...I tried taking an art class...it was a 'nude female model' drawing class. I got kicked out for tracing.

To the OP...
    I think one has to 'feel' the conversation. If you feel it's an 'anti' you are talking to...let it go, but a who could be changed, work on it!
    I have struck up conversations with many at school. Most know my feelings about the importance of firearms.
    I have also talked about 12 -15 individuals into getting their CCW permits. I'm still working on a few more.
    People are realizing just how dangerous this world is and the need to be better prepared. We've have a few staff members/family members victimized, so they understand the reality of SD/HD.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

By the sound of things, it seems that he was interested, or maybe just curious. A couple that I go to church with accepted an invitation from me and my wife to go to the range. Now, they really like shooting. I would have never thought they would but one never knows.

I would ask again citing that you didn't get to finish the conversation because of the other obligations.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom120 View Post
    I ended up getting out of the major and taking a minor in art instead. Mostly pencil, pen and ink, and a bit of oil painting.
    Is there and echo in here? lol

Helllllloooooo ellloooo ellloo
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Invite him out to go shooting.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Is there and echo in here? lol
    Ja. Art with an Art History Minor. Same here, but changed to accounting.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

What are you studying? I ended up getting out of the major and taking a minor in art instead.
    Music education.

There is a trend for employers to check Facebook pages these days. Some are even asking prospective employees to log in for the employer so they page can be viewed before an offer is made. Therefore, you should not put anything up you wouldn't want anyone else to see. Also, nothing on the Internet ever goes away. I know a little bit off topic, but if people don't think you should be "messed with" than maybe they are more provocative than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I got kicked out for tracing.
    Well played. But there was this one, oh, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Music education.
    I can imagine the similarities, but the fine arts dept may be a bit worse. The things I heard, saw, or was accused of. An interesting lot for sure.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'm half expecting somebody to ask if he's cute.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

The attitude to hide in a closet and only discuss guns on line is nonsense, as stated before offer to take him shooting. I have never taken anyone that didn’t have a good time and didn’t want to do it again and that includes several anti gun people.

Never miss an opportunity to be an ambassador for firearms and the use of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    The attitude to hide in a closet and only discuss guns on line is nonsense, as stated before offer to take him shooting. I have never taken anyone that didn’t have a good time and didn’t want to do it again and that includes several anti gun people.

Never miss an opportunity to be an ambassador for firearms and the use of them.
    What he said.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links