Crisis of Character - Page 11

Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ah, the old states right argument. Great comeback, Hotguns....

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

Ah, the old states right argument. Great comeback, Hotguns.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

I am a Moderator. You may answer that without violating a rule. You are inferring that the victim is to blame. Read Welcome to the Monkey House and Slaughterhouse Five first. I may not be a Moderator tomorrow............

no, i dont blame america for 9/11 but like i said " no but his generation did, him and his ilk gave the terrorists a substantial list of grievances against us that (to them) justified their actions." to them is the important part. i dont think those (the american/russian/afghanistan mess and supporting hussein) actions justified 9/11 but they (the terrorists) certainly do. you just dont get to act like we did and not expect some kind of recourse from the rest of the world, is it really a surprise they where upset at us using them to further our own "cold war"?

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    There is nothing in the constitution about gay people, nor should there be. They have the same rights as everyone else under the constitution. That's the problem. All the special interest groups say they want equality, but what they really mean is they want special treatment and special rights. We can't go changing the constitution and writing in special groups interests every time there is a new group that wants special treatment.

Or how about this to keep it on topic. I like exercising my 2A right to bear arms, and I take that seriously. I want to build an an arsenal to be able to assist in defending our country if necessary. As such, me and people like myself are going to apply for special interest status. We should be able to not pay taxes so we can facilitate our special interest. I realize that is an extreme example, and not exactly literal, but I think you get my point.
    HAH! in some states thats true, kinda. but im done with this stuff, i dont want to argue about it anymore i just wanted to respond to that first bit.

if you formed and trained as part of a militia? maybe that should be a tax break of some kind. we should reward people like volunteer firemen or neighborhood watch types.

VIP Member
    Slavery and States right were the reason for secession, as many Northern politicians were trying to block the expansion of slavery into the western territories, which was finally triggered when Lincoln was elected. Secession itself is the reason the North went to war, as Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union. (Of topic I know, sorry).
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Rock and Glock .... maybe Peggy Noonan really hit the nail on the head! Ya think?

Consider some of the hateful, spiteful and nasty things said or implied in the last five or so pages................darn near makes me want to yak!
    Man you are right on that one!

I realize that the CC Defensive forum is a very 'right wing' forum but other CC'ers are welcome and may not share the same 'hard right' opinions of many here. However, as pointed out by 'don't tread on me' there are different opinions and you can (possibly) learn by listening and understanding their point. It's ok to disagree but I see plenty of posters who jump down the throat of anyone who doesn't fit the exact mold of the right wing. It's not nice behavior! (I'm sure they don't care). As I've said in the past, these people have an attitude that this is 'their country' instead of being 'our' country. They seem to take on the same possessive, nasty attitude when it comes to this forum. Open mindedness is a good thing.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well, I don't think it is a modern notion that we should live in safety. Our cities in the late 18th century deployed watchmen.
    That developed to full time professional police.
    Sure. Certainly public safety is nothing new. Let's see if I can tie this in with the idea of incivility and crisis of character.

When I look at Human Civilization what I see is merely a fragile veil that only partially insulates us from the realities of the rest of the predator and prey world, from the reality that God does not favor the Human animal more or less than any other blip on the radar of Creation. Technologically driven Civilization, and more specifically Constitution Government, allows us the relative luxury of pursuing happiness with little fear of becoming another animal's lunch, or being victimized by human predators - well, mostly anyway. Technological Civilization has also given rise to the arrogant, selfish, and weak individual who possesses the expectation that he or she should be able to walk through the world without being offended or having their feelings hurt while observing the expression of another individual's freedom, the expectation that they should be able to walk through the world without risk of danger or suffering.

We could certainly replace the fragile veil with an iron curtain, but we already know how that crisis of character works out.

im not sure if the world has become more dangerous so much as that the danger is more known. it wasn't safer in the 40's (or whenever) it just wasnt on the news as much, discretion and all that jazz.
    i remember my teacher saying something about reporters not taking lots of pictures of F.D.R in his wheelchair out of respect. or maybe it was him falling out of it....i dont exactly remember but the idea's the same, the media had compassion and respect. that's not the case anymore. a celebrities body isnt cold before speculation of drug use or something worse is discussed.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

You are correct about FDR, Edward7. Different times, different attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    im not sure if the world has become more dangerous so much as that the danger is more known. it wasn't safer in the 40's (or whenever) it just wasnt on the news as much, discretion and all that jazz.
    i remember my teacher saying something about reporters not taking lots of pictures of F.D.R in his wheelchair out of respect. or maybe it was him falling out of it....i dont exactly remember but the idea's the same, the media had compassion and respect. that's not the case anymore. a celebrities body isnt cold before speculation of drug use or something worse is discussed.
    You are wrong about F.D.R. It was not out of "respect". It was done to shield the fact that he was a "cripple" from the general public. He was their man and they didn't want his "weakness" to be shown. Sound familiar? The main stream media (and those they represent) had no more "compassion and respect" then they do now. They follow their preferred agenda and program their propaganda to fit.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Moderator
    Lets look as some things that are different today,just a few things that contribute to the demise of society.

Over 70% of kids going to school come from divorced familys. This in my relatively small hometown.

Many kids grow up without a father figure in their life. Even if their mother is the best mother in the world, they are still only getting half of the picture.

Soon, if it hasnt already happened, people that live on Welfare will outnumber those that work. Thats like lighting a fuze on a stick of dynamite. At some point in time,it will explode.

Personal debt is higher now, that it has ever been.

Personal responsibility, is mostly just two words in the dictionary. This entitlement mentality that many possess blames everything on someone else. Its anyones fault but theirs.

Educational standards have been watered down to the point of being ridiculous. Most people under 35 cant spell, they read at a 5th grade level, they have no concept of grammar or composition, and many of them are graduating from school without being able to read or write. Math skills are almost non existant.

We are breeding a nation of people that are mediocre. We teach our kids that winning isnt part of the game, so we give them all a medal, even the losers. They are taught that winning a trophy might damage the self esteem of the losers, so they get a trophy just for showing up.

This politicially correct crap that is now common is a recent concept. We gave being PC over to speaking the truth, God forbid that we actually say something that might hurt the feelings of some little pansy that hasnt figured out if he is a man or a woman.
    The truth is forbidden in many places.

We are teaching our kids to not fight in school when the bully picks on them. Instead, we report it. And the process continues as the kid gets bullied. When I went to school if the bully messed with you, you fought him hard enough that he quit messing with you. You might both stand out in the hall for awhile, but you dang sure didnt get suspended like you do today even if you just defended yourself.

We carried guns to school so that we could go hunting when it was over. Now, mentioning a gun, drawing a picture of a gun, or bringing a butter knife to school to cut your apple with can get you suspended.

School shootings, church shootings, mall shootings...all of them were unheard of.

Not only is the world getting to be more dangerous, but the world continues to get stupider and stupider. At some point society will collapse because the stupid people will outnumber the smart ones.
    Bark'n, Spirit51, WHEC724 and 9 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

WOW! Bravo HotGuns. Excellent post
    Rock and Glock and shooterX like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The main stream media (and those they represent) had no more "compassion and respect" then they do now. They follow their preferred agenda and program their propaganda to fit.
    Hadn't really analyzed it from that perspective, but it fits well. He was a "darling" of the times. An alternative possibility was that the press wanted to portray him as a man of strength, and the wheelchair would raise doubts in the public mind. The theory was we needed a President that was strong to overcome the economy, the European matter, someone strong to "lead" us out of the darkness. The "elitist" attitude run amuck.

The "respect" theory also fits well, the press possibly less critical (especially of liberals) in those days.

All of those can also be applied to JFK's injuries and his womanizing which the press conveniently ignored or winked at, but then there is the blood feast on Gary Hart and the like, and the wasting of Ed Muskie and Mike Dukakis by the MSM. (a subject for another thread, but Kitty and Mike Dukakis both spoke at my son's graduation a few years ago, and both gave wonderful presentations, particularly after the Chancellor made a horrible presentation on the evils of the Bush/Cheney administration and the illegality of two wars blah blah blah).

Anyway, just musings.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

This politicially correct crap that is now common is a recent concept. We gave being PC over to speaking the truth, God forbid that we actually say something that might hurt the feelings of some little pansy that hasnt figured out if he is a man or a woman.
    The truth is forbidden in many places.
    thats where you lose me, otherwise i agree with you.

Senior Moderator
    thats where you lose me
    I thought I might.

Spirit51 and shooterX like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    generally speaking, my generation (im 24) is infinitely superior to any previous generation of Americans.
    gay men and women walk down the street holding hands without fearing for their lives, people of different religions and races love each other and have solid friendships without stress or shame and women are treated far more seriously then ever before and have more control of their own body's and lives.
    all around an improvement.
    It's interesting that you mention your age, and that your generation is superior to any previous generation; Exactly 24 years ago, I had completed 5 years of service in the Coast Guard and started college as a computer science undergrad. I remember that year well, as it was my transition back into the civilian world and all of the privileges that I did not have during my time of service. INXS was the raging band at the time, and I had a mullet that I'm still destroying photos of, as I find them. It was a largely 'greek' campus, and there was no way that I was going to allow myself to be hazed by some cherry that lived with their parents the previous year, so I was hardcore 'GDI'. I had free time on my hands and needed income to put myself through school (there was no GI bill for Coasties who enlisted in '83) so I somehow convinced the department chair of the ComSci dept to hire me to implement a fiber-optic network backbone for throughout the campus. Part of that task was hooking up the school library, which was using a thing called 'ARPAnet'. That thing blew my mind. It was hardwired into other libraries! I could send text messages without having to use a modem over a phone line! Look it up - it was the birth of the internet and Al Gore was no where nearby. A couple years later, I worked with a company called 'FTP', who developed a TCP/IP stack, and the rest is history.

My point is that I remember those years well. I honestly don't recall the clouds parting when you were born. I had nieces and nephews born during that time, and they didn't do much other than fill their diapers. Today, they're achieving graduate and doctorate degrees, but they still haven't done a damn thing in regards to contributions to society. Not that they wont - but they just haven't had time to yet. These are your peers and the generation that you're referring to. I'm not disregarding this generation, only pointing out that your generation is just getting started, and that you are a young fool. Note that I'm not disparaging your intelligence, only your knowledge and therefore your perspective.

Re-evaluate your perspective and motives. Seek Truth, not power and you may just actually contribute something of value in your life.

Links