Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Your right about J.F.K. too. We, the general public, never knew how much his back problems hindered his abilities. We saw him playing football, sailing ...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

Your right about J.F.K. too. We, the general public, never knew how much his back problems hindered his abilities. We saw him playing football, sailing and other activities. We never knew that the rocking chair he was seen in often was because of his chronic back pain and we didn't know all the hard core drugs he took for that pain. I believe that initial injury was due to his incident with PT 109 during WW II. It is harder for the Media to hide things from us now...but not impossible. If it had not been for the Drudge Report, we probably would have never heard of Monica Saga. At least not until the bios were written.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lets look as some things that are different today,just a few things that contribute to the demise of society.

Over 70% of kids going to school come from divorced familys. This in my relatively small hometown.

Many kids grow up without a father figure in their life. Even if their mother is the best mother in the world, they are still only getting half of the picture.

Soon, if it hasnt already happened, people that live on Welfare will outnumber those that work. Thats like lighting a fuze on a stick of dynamite. At some point in time,it will explode.

Personal debt is higher now, that it has ever been.

Personal responsibility, is mostly just two words in the dictionary. This entitlement mentality that many possess blames everything on someone else. Its anyones fault but theirs.

Educational standards have been watered down to the point of being ridiculous. Most people under 35 cant spell, they read at a 5th grade level, they have no concept of grammar or composition, and many of them are graduating from school without being able to read or write. Math skills are almost non existant.

We are breeding a nation of people that are mediocre. We teach our kids that winning isnt part of the game, so we give them all a medal, even the losers. They are taught that winning a trophy might damage the self esteem of the losers, so they get a trophy just for showing up.

This politicially correct crap that is now common is a recent concept. We gave being PC over to speaking the truth, God forbid that we actually say something that might hurt the feelings of some little pansy that hasnt figured out if he is a man or a woman.
    The truth is forbidden in many places.

We are teaching our kids to not fight in school when the bully picks on them. Instead, we report it. And the process continues as the kid gets bullied. When I went to school if the bully messed with you, you fought him hard enough that he quit messing with you. You might both stand out in the hall for awhile, but you dang sure didnt get suspended like you do today even if you just defended yourself.

We carried guns to school so that we could go hunting when it was over. Now, mentioning a gun, drawing a picture of a gun, or bringing a butter knife to school to cut your apple with can get you suspended.

School shootings, church shootings, mall shootings...all of them were unheard of.

Not only is the world getting to be more dangerous, but the world continues to get stupider and stupider. At some point society will collapse because the stupid people will outnumber the smart ones.
    Hotguns excellent comments, especially those that i highlighted. I will never understand this "no losers" stuff, if you play a game or sport, there are winners and losers, just as in everyday life; example: sometimes in my profession you win the contract and sometimes you don't, that's competition!

I was bullied growing up, I was a skinny, and in the eyes of some, weak kid, to some an easy target. My Dad worked hard to help me deal with this by teaching to to fight back. In 6th grade another, larger boy yanked my chair back so I fell and smacked my head hard against a concrete wall, and then he began to taunt me. I lost it in a major way, picked up the chair and hit him square in the face with it. We were both suspended for our actions,and while my response in retrospect was extreme and really could have hurt him badly, he never bothered me again. I've told my daughter that if she is physically bullied to fight back, no matter if she gets suspended.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Our son got bullied once. He smacked the kid down big time after severe provocation, and when expelled it was not a big deal. He then became an "enforcer", and when he saw the bullies picking on weaker kids, he move in and befriend the victims. He was a slightly built guy with his Mom's graciousness and sense of right and wrong, and my temper (in my youth) and convictions.

Interesting, while doing chores this AM, I contemplated recent "events" in which "foul" behaviors were noted by my wife or I. Idiot driving, one-fingered salutes, screaming, foul-mouths, and the like. I could not identify any common thread, and it is apparent not a matter of race, age or sex out here in the hills.
    shooterX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Our son got bullied once. He smacked the kid down big time after severe provocation, and when expelled it was not a big deal. He then became an "enforcer", and when he saw the bullies picking on weaker kids, he move in and befriend the victims. He was a slightly built guy with his Mom's graciousness and sense of right and wrong, and my temper (in my youth) and convictions.

Interesting, while doing chores this AM, I contemplated recent "events" in which "foul" behaviors were noted by my wife or I. Idiot driving, one-fingered salutes, screaming, foul-mouths, and the like. I could not identify any common thread, and it is apparent not a matter of race, age or sex out here in the hills.
    Probably the oxygen deficit up there.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My wife and I try, weather permitting, to ride our bikes every evening, through the finger-like streets that define our water-front neighborhood. The last street west is the most exclusive and most expensive because it has the open water of the bay rather than a canal. Last week, on our ride, a Jeep Grand Cherokee screamed past us and pulled into the driveway of one of the houses. A few minutes later, it screamed out of the driveway and took the turn at the streets end so fast that it barely missed us. I yelled, "slow down". as there are speed humps every block. A middle aged woman stuck her head out the car window and yelled back, "a nasty expletive that cant be repeated here"! That's whats wrong with our country! It is expected, no demanded of us to be subservient to the I,me,me, I's, that only care about what is important and relative to their immediate gratification.
    Last edited by HotGuns; April 22nd, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: wordy dird workaround

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    As people and as a society, we get what we tolerate. In the last 20 years, we've been told to tolerate everything.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    And the worst crisis of character we face today is the tolerance of mediocrity. I see it in my workplace every day. Low moral and apathy, managers who are not leaders - they are merely employees with power giving only lip service to teamwork. We get a "team building" workshop that isn't about team building but is about "communication."

I have a discussion with my boss about the teamwork problem. I ask her what is the most fundamentally important aspect of team work and team building. She does not know the answer and turns red faced. Finally she squeaks, "Well, helping each other is important."

Helping each other? HELPING EACH OTHER! What the heck! This is not day care for pre-schoolers! This is manufacturing!!!!!

I inform her that the number one most important aspect of team building is leadership. I inform her that moral is low and apathy abounds due to poor leadership. There is smoke coming out her ears now and she quips, "Well, if you don't like the leadership here then you can just go work somewhere else." She is embarrassed. The meeting is over. I tell her that it is good and right that we know where we stand.
    HotGuns and danfive555 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Soon, if it hasnt already happened, people that live on Welfare will outnumber those that work. Thats like lighting a fuze on a stick of dynamite. At some point in time,it will explode.
    Source this please. Unless you have an insanely broad view of what constitutes "welfare", this is ridiculous.

Educational standards have been watered down to the point of being ridiculous.
    To a certain extent, this is true. We have people trying to teach religious mythology in science classes, public schools are in no way on equal footing when it comes to funding...

Most people under 35 cant spell,
    Source?

they read at a 5th grade level,
    Source? The studies I found indicate otherwise.

they have no concept of grammar or composition, and many of them are graduating from school without being able to read or write. Math skills are almost non existant.
    Forgive me for laughing when I saw you misspell "non-existent" only a handful of words after taking society to task for being unable to spell (and "fuse" earlier). Please stop contributing to society's demise. Also, again, source this stuff? That we are suffering in these areas isn't in doubt. I'm questioning the levels you are stating, as well as how they show we are heading for our demise.

We teach our kids that winning isnt part of the game, so we give them all a medal, even the losers. They are taught that winning a trophy might damage the self esteem of the losers, so they get a trophy just for showing up.
    This kind of stuff exists, but I see no sign of a reduction in the drive to win. The fanaticism over big time sports, which foster a win at all costs attitude (steroids, other forms of cheating) seems to contradict that.

This politicially
    Another misspelling.

correct crap that is now common is a recent concept. We gave being PC over to speaking the truth,
    Political correctness was at first an obnoxious trend. However, the pendulum swung to an absurd opposite. Now, bigots of all types use it as license to say the most repulsive and ignorant things imaginable. "Hey, I'm just being politically incorrect."

God forbid that we actually say something that might hurt the feelings of some little pansy that hasnt figured out if he is a man or a woman.
    Ding!

The truth is forbidden in many places.
    True, but nothing new. And it comes from every political and philosophical mindset.

We are teaching our kids to not fight in school when the bully picks on them. Instead, we report it. And the process continues as the kid gets bullied. When I went to school if the bully messed with you, you fought him hard enough that he quit messing with you. You might both stand out in the hall for awhile, but you dang sure didnt get suspended like you do today even if you just defended yourself.
    Teaching a kid to avoid fighting is the right thing to do, both practically and morally. You can't lose a fight (fist or gun) if you don't get into one. Kids should defend themselves, of course, but not all are capable of being the super tough guy necessary to just beat the bad out of bullies. And by the way, again, despite the media hype, bullying is actually down.

We carried guns to school so that we could go hunting when it was over. Now, mentioning a gun, drawing a picture of a gun, or bringing a butter knife to school to cut your apple with can get you suspended.
    The result of zero tolerance policies of all types and all political flavors. The inability to see subtlety or gray in the world.

School shootings, church shootings, mall shootings...all of them were unheard of.
    Perhaps rarer, but not unheard of. And mass murders are nothing new. As I said earlier, the worst mass murder at a school occurred in the good ole days. And if murder is down overall, who cares if a particular type is higher?

Not only is the world getting to be more dangerous,
    Not true.

but the world continues to get stupider and stupider.
    Evidence?
    Edward7, Cold Shot and Moops like this.

um.....what he said.

Senior Moderator
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    We won't go forward by looking back. I'm a child of the 60's born in the 50's and came of age in the 70's raised with a moderation of religion in the Bible belt, if you can relate.
    It is especially important for those who would carry to be above the fray. It is no coincidence to me that an active moderator feels compelled to comment on human behavior. He has a tough job in being fair but still presenting the best site to the public. It's the kind of challenge that builds character. I appreciate that "Rock and Glock" and the other good mods on DC stand up to be the adult in the name of the important American value for 2A and the right to self defense when there is so much influence in our society to be irresponsible and bedazzled.
    The Secret Service used to be the best of the best. My younger brother and I played and went to school with an agent's kids the same age as us. Their dad, a great, family man, no doubt. Noonan laments the latest scandal as a lowering of standards. Hopefully moving the service under "Homeland Security" didn't diminish its esprit de corps. But the government and our leaders and teachers aren't immune to a crisis of character.

Kudos to us for "stopping and thinking about this".
    Kudos for breaking out "IF". I memorised this when I was I think about 12 years old. When someone gets me fired up at work or out somewhere I come back to these words of wisdom.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    if it was done for that reason...well i would agree. most changes to the us constitution have been made to GIVE more rights to the people, not reduce them.
    I've been trying to stay out of this trollbait part of the thread, but no one GIVES me rights. I exist and certain rights are a REQUIREMENT for that existence, therefore they are MY rights.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

torgo1968,

Let me "share" this information with you. Metro Kansas City's Penn Valley College came out with a statement a year ago that stated that teaching most students on a College level was near impossible because most of their students can't even read at a 5th grade level. Their math skills were below that. Grammar and English skills darn near non existent. I think most of us know how bad the knowledge of actual History is. I have seen this problem stated by many institutions of higher learning. It shows in this day that students are just "passed" and not held to a standard of learning that was required for College in past generations.

If you don't believe that society is getting more dangerous, I suggest you do MORE reading. It shows in articles not only from our Country, but all over the World.

BTW. On all you say. SOURCE

I hope I have passed your "spelling test" with this. I would hate to see you have to take out your little red pencil on me.
    Rock and Glock and sigs like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    The studies I found indicate otherwise.
    You have a source for that?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The inability to see subtlety or gray in the world.
    "Inability" implies a defect or disability, or to be PC, a "challenge". Such as blindness, or in a non-physical manner, ignorance or stupidity. It may be ignorance, more likely stupidity, but I believe it is laziness or cowardice.

Thinking out loud, Cowardice, pure and simple. They pass "Zero Tolerance" so they can point to a "Policy Statement" that says "Zero Tolerance" rather than articulate differences and enforce differences because despite the current mantra, all things are not the same. They are COWARDS of convenience that want to stand behind "policy" rather than make a difference.

Cowards.

Cowardice is a character flaw, too, there is nothing gray about it. Nothing PC about it either.
    wmhawth likes this.

Links