Crisis of Character - Page 14

Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by torgo1968 You completely missed my point. I know it's easier to get into college. That was my point. How much of the ...

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    You completely missed my point. I know it's easier to get into college. That was my point. How much of the claimed drop in skills is due not to people getting dumber or less well educated, but by people who would not have been in college say, 30 or 40 years ago, being there now. I'm not saying this is the case, I'm asking if it's possible and if so, how much of that accounts for the claimed drop in skills.
    I don't think 30 or 40 years ago kids had it pounded in their heads that they had to go to college if they wanted to get anywhere in life. That's why this has happened:

tumblr_lx5pqdnpfo1qfj9udo1_250.jpg

Now we have a sub-generation of people that have racked up exorbitant amount of debt from an education in over-saturated and irrelevant fields and feel like they should just be given a job right after graduation without any effort or related EXPERIENCE, which in my mind is greater than a piece of paper saying you read a bunch of books and passed a lot of tests on paper.

The above sentence is somewhat of a rant on my part against my generation, so take it as you will, it has no bearing on what you asked.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I don't think 30 or 40 years ago kids had it pounded in their heads that they had to go to college if they wanted to get anywhere in life.
    I agree. The emphasis should have been for people to educate/prepare themselves to the best of their ability. College isn't for everyone, and as you pointed out, isn't cost effective for everyone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I agree. The emphasis should have been for people to educate/prepare themselves to the best of their ability. College isn't for everyone, and as you pointed out, isn't cost effective for everyone.

Administrator
    Trying HARD to be optimistic here. Bad news always sells a ton better than good news...so let's hope that there is at least an equal amount of GOOD out there that just is not being reported.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Most people don't go to college anymore to prepare for a career. Most go because it is the next thing.

My wife has a 4 year degree from a small college in Michigan. Her major was communications. What is that? What is it for? NOTHING!
    Then she went to SDSU for he Masters degree in.....Women's studies. I kid you not, Women's studies. Her masters is about as useful as a degree in underwater bird cage welding.

In all she ran up nearly 100K in tuition and has nothing but two fancy pieces of paper to show for it. What a scam!
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Most people don't go to college anymore to prepare for a career. Most go because it is the next thing.

My wife has a 4 year degree from a small college in Michigan. Her major was communications. What is that? What is it for? NOTHING!
    Then she went to SDSU for he Masters degree in.....Women's studies. I kid you not, Women's studies. Her masters is about as useful as a degree in underwater bird cage welding.

In all she ran up nearly 100K in tuition and has nothing but two fancy pieces of paper to show for it. What a scam!
    My neighbor's kid graduated with a degree in "Music Therapy" (playing happy music for patients - seriously) and just hasn't been able to find work in that field... However, I recently saw that a California hospital is pushing to have it recognized as a legitimate form of rehabilitative therapy (so that it can be covered by health insurance ). You just can't make stuff up this stupid.

No offense intended here but this doesn't sound like a scam to me. Sounds like she made 100K worth of bad choices.
    RoadKill likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar

Exactly what I was trying to say, thank you!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    No offense intended here but this doesn't sound like a scam to me. Sounds like she made 100K worth of bad choices.
    I agree with you but it's a two way street. School career counselors pointed her to those majors. Those schools ran those programs, advertised those classes and took the money under the guise of higher education.

It is a scam and she fell for it.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

As a bit of a history nut, these kinds of threads always make me smile. Civilizations always think they're in a decline, and sometimes they are, and harken back to a 'purer' yesteryear with rose colored lenses. It's a very glass half empty way to look at life in general, but thats just human nature.

I've read writings from samurai in 18th century Japan greviously lamenting what they percieved as the moral decline of Japan, and the samurai class in general during this time of peace, and ernestly hoping for a return of the 'old ways' in their country.

I also think it's funny that in America, 'greek culture' is summed up in a Gyro shop like the one down the street from me. Yet a few thousand years ago ancient Greece was the building block for all Western cultures to come in art, language, philosophy, science, government, etc... ack then I'm sure every day in the market place, even at their height of Greek power, guys were standing around in toga's talkin' about the good ol' days.

'Times they are a changin.'

I think you can only do the best for your family with what God gives you, and screw which way the winds blowin'. One of the last lines in the movie "No Country For Old Men" was something to the effect of, "It ain't all waitin' on you. Thats vanity"

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

My wife got her Mrs. degree. Can't say I'm complaining, but it is a lot of loans to be able to pay more money to put a ring on her finger.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    My wife got her Mrs. degree. Can't say I'm complaining, but it is a lot of loans to be able to pay more money to put a ring on her finger.
    My wife and I have been married thirteen years. I just paid off her student loan debt from her Masters degree this past December. Her parents covered her BS.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Sponsored Links