Crisis of Character - Page 2

Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TVs off Have been for several years, actually. Thank goodness! etc, etc, this thread is just religious people trying to feel good about themselves. Feel ...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

TVs off
    Have been for several years, actually. Thank goodness!

etc, etc, this thread is just religious people trying to feel good about themselves.
    Feel free to PM me if you'd like, I don't want to share my response and thoughts on your comment within the thread knocking it off focus. Thanks.

Dalai Lama.jpg
    Pistology likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    What I see is just the usual generation gap, more or less.
    I came of age in the sixties, the time of killing King and Kennedys, the burning and looting of American cities, My Lai, Kitty Genovese, Albert DeSalvo, Charlie Don't Surf, Pathfinder death cards, the gun control act of 1968, and the rise of Dick Nixon. Current events don't seem all that bad, by comparison.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Current events don't seem all that bad, by comparison.
    Kent State, Chicago 1968 Democrat Convention, SDS, KU Student Union, Weathermen..........you have a point..........I still find the current disturbing for different reasons though..........

Our Republic is Exactly where Rome was before Julius Caesar took over. The Senate and citizens said it would never happen... The rest is history.
    HotGuns and Hoganbeg like this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    1Tim.4:1-2
    2Tim.3:1-2,13
    2Pet.3:3-4
    sigs likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    What are the thoughts here? Are we numb? Beyond caring? Beyond civility?

Or do we care?
    I do believe that a significant portion of the world population is numb, beyond caring, beyond civility, and doesn't care.

The excellent treasure-trust of firearms knowledge is only a portion of the reason why I'm a regular here at defensivecarry.com. I see more good people who are doing their best here, than I do at my own church. I take comfort in the words from many members here, that I am not alone in fighting my 'good fight'. The following is taped up on the wall, next to my desk at work. It has gotten me through many bad days, and reminds me of who I am and the rules that I play by.

The Paradoxical Commandments
    by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Our downfall started when mother were forced to be Rosie the Riveter,this was the start of the downfall of the American family.President Eisenhower warned us about the powerful military industrial complex. America was forever changed on that fateful day in Dallas,Texas then when LBJ push through everything Kennedy wanted the great
    social experience created 5 generations of welfare families where we worked and paid taxes.LBJ 'S wife had more companies in South Vietnam when he left office he was
    very rich.I don't think that would fly today.the kennedy crossed Castro and the Mob and paid with their lives.I still can't believe that garbage of a pristine bullet blowing of skull cap,breaking wrist bones and ribs doesn't have one mark on it!That rifle was a piece of crap.The best bolt british smile you couldn't replicate that kind of shooting.
    Then we had the race riots of the 60's assassination of MLK and Bobby Kennedy Watergate and steady decline of trust by the people Carter looked weak on the world scene
    failed hostage rescue,President Regan made us feel good about ourselves,but he had irangate,Bush 1 was out of touch with real American,Clinton wasn't mandate winner @37% he was probably the most immoral President to ever serve.I bet history will show china was allowed to gain acces to some of our greatest secrests for providing funds
    to get him elected.GW gave me 8 year of peace he keep us safe and did the best he could in unknown waters with civil defense costs.NO attacks under his watch!Our present
    leader there's question if he's even American,christian.He's the first executive branch leader to openly question judicial branch on how they should rule,Totally inappropriate.
    The shooting OF Trayvon Martin the president comes out and says that boy is or could be my son! How Is the defendant ever going to get a fair trial?This guy going after Ted Nuygent sounds like more like big brother ;If you don't vote,registor and vote republican and keep our country under GOD as our founding fathers meant it to be.It appears
    this guy forgotten where he's come from,let's send him back this November!
    Last edited by Stetson; April 20th, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Stubborn and GunGeezer like this.

Too many kids today weren't raised with any moral values,their so called parent/s manipulated the Welfare system and Food stamps,they may have even been taught how to shoplift,or if the weren't charged for an item gleefully exclaimed how they got it "free".They worship drugs,fast ill gotten money,and "RAP' Stars that preach drug dealing,Law hating,woman bashing,unethical living as the "Good" Life".Prisons are full of these losers that have no dreams in life except to continue to live the Gangster Lifestyle
    MleeC, Stubborn, tclance and 3 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When all you see reported is negative and you are young and have limited life experience it is easy to think that's the way things really are. There are ample examples of bad behaviour and they are easy pickings for anyone intent on driving an agenda. I think there is still a great many "good" Americans out there quietly going about their lives. You just never hear about it. Are we in the majority? I don't know and quite frankly I don't care. It works for me and I'm o.k. with the fact that Brad Pitt won't be playing me in a screenplay about my life anytime soon.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    "If it feels good do it" from the 60's and 70's has come home to roost.

Self-esteem has taken the place of self confidence and self sufficiency.
    lazytl and GunGeezer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Gandhi allegedly wrote friendly letters to Hitler.
    I'm not going to address your opinion, because this is America and you are entitled to it. Even if I don't agree with you, I support your right to speak your mind.

I do want to address this point. I have read the letters between Gandhi and Hitler; he was asking Hitler not to be violent and to not go to war.
    Pistology likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The leveling or deterioration of public behavior has got to be worrying people who have enough years on them to judge with some perspective.
    Many of us remember when manners were nicer, language was nicer, clothing was more tasteful, courtesy was expected and music was really music. Things seem topsy turvy now. What was once moral and decent is now politically incorrect and things that were once crude, vulgar, and unacceptable are now beamed into our living rooms and considered acceptable. Walk past any group of kids and you can hear language that would make a teamster blush. The coarsening of the culture started when we became politically correct and began accepting things that should not be accepted in the name of tolerance. As for corruption in high offices and turbulence in American history, it's always been there but for us children of the 1950s it seems we have lived in more genteel times.
    Seems we’re living on the edge of a shadow
    Seems we’re living in a colder time
    When the truth becomes a point of view
    And the law becomes a crime
    In the crossfire of opinion
    When old virtue turns to sin
    Swim against the raging river
    Fly upon Apache wind

Michael On Fire

At the risk of being too controversial and to preface: I believe in God and the Holy Bible. And yes, many have done things claiming to do them in the name of God. That does not mean that He condones their actions, He does not disagree with himself or His revealed attributes. We strive for the ideal but the failings are man's not God's.

When we have (not just tacitly but actively) condemned the most innocent of life to death and even present that act as an heroic choice, why would our children, or anyone else for that matter, think any life has value. In the mind of man, when you can with complete freedom and with the full support of government and society kill a baby in the womb; you have essentially removed all conscience. When the bar is set that low, what else should we expect from the remainder of the population.

I think things started going to hell just a few minutes after John Wayne died.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    I think things started going to hell just a few minutes after John Wayne died.
    Before that actually. His death may have hastened it though.
    But I think once you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am," the rest is soon to foller.

Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) No Country For Old Men
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links