Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; [QUOTE=DontTreadOnI;2237386] Originally Posted by Edward7 I'm thoroughly confused by your Cheney thing. But, I have decided that I would like to quit my job and ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=DontTreadOnI;2237386]
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post

I'm thoroughly confused by your Cheney thing.

But, I have decided that I would like to quit my job and live off the system. If I PM you my address will you send me part of your weekly income?

Seriously though. This country was not founded with the belief in allowing those that choose not to work to live off those that do. And sorry but I did not choose to be born here. There are many, many able bodied persons that get welfare. Why should my money, that I sacrificed time (something each person only has a limited amount of), hard work, and education to earn, go to anyone else but my self?
    Here's the big problem with your big issue-- Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go and read.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=DontTreadOnI;2237386]

I'm thoroughly confused by your Cheney thing.

But, I have decided that I would like to quit my job and live off the system. If I PM you my address will you send me part of your weekly income?

Seriously though. This country was not founded with the belief in allowing those that choose not to work to live off those that do. And sorry but I did not choose to be born here. There are many, many able bodied persons that get welfare. Why should my money, that I sacrificed time (something each person only has a limited amount of), hard work, and education to earn, go to anyone else but my self?
    This country was not founded with the belief in allowing those that choose not to work to live off those that do. the world has changed from the one they lived in. we the people no longer refers to land owning white men either. what was intended is meaningless, what is,is far more interesting.
    And sorry but I did not choose to be born here. as another once said, if you dont love america....
    Why should my money, that I sacrificed time (something each person only has a limited amount of), hard work, and education to earn, go to anyone else but my self?
    becouse the majority (or the mob, take your pick) said so.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    DC-er's, I'm going to stay out of this discussion and defer to your guiding this poor individual and his demented thinking. Why he decided to troll around on this forum, of all forums (?), is beyond me. He sounds like a mush-minded, OWS-er to me. And I mean that in the most respectful and courteous way that I can muster at this moment.
    im not "trolling", not all pro 2nd amendment americans are also conservative. if how i stated my opinion offends you, i apologize but i stand by the opinions themselves.

Cheney enacted the events on 9/11? no but his generation did, him and his ilk gave the terrorists a substantial list of reverences against us that (to them) justified their actions.
    Organizing for Power: Please answer this question, a "Yes" or "No" will suffice:

Are you blaming the USA for the 9/11 attacks?

This seems to be what you infer above.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Here's the big problem with your big issue-- Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go and read.
    Please expand on your reasoning for linking that. I realize that it is law, and my money does go there; if it didn't I would be in jail (with three hots and a cot). Just because it is law does not mean that I have to agree with it or its reasoning, and that's what I was trying to understand from Edward7, who seems to actually believe that the current system is merited.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Why should my money, that I sacrificed time (something each person only has a limited amount of), hard work, and education to earn, go to anyone else but my self?
    becouse the majority (or the mob, take your pick) said so.
    I'm uncertain if the above is attributable to Edward or to Don't Tread, but the answer is that you live in a society.

You are not an island unto yourself, even if you think you are. Do you object when your money goes to build schools, fire-stations, fighter planes? Do you object when a road is paved? When a traffic light is installed?

Didn't think so. See, you do get the broad concept of living in a society.

Now as to your money going to poorer folks,
    there is a little section in the bible about not harvesting the corners of your field so as to leave food for the poor. You might just
    as well ask why any one should have obeyed that command. (There is such a thing as morality.)

Even if you don't think scripture is good argument ( a view Imight share with you), you still can't overlook that you live in a society, and therefore and don't want the desperate randomly breaking your door down because that is the only way they can survive. There have always been poor people, always will be poor people. Poor people have always been despised.
    Someday you might run out of luck and be one. Be careful how you look at things.

Oh, btw, in Colonial America and pre- Revolutionary America, towns provided welfare. There were always orphans,
    widows, disabled, incapable, insane, who needed caring for; and the community did the caring.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    A very interesting thread and a good read of opinions here. I perhaps don't have much to add save this...there was a time in our country when being a gentleman or a lady was something to be valued, to strive for. I rarely see gentlemen or ladies these days. People throw out words like intollerance, religion, hate speech, etc to criticize those who would rebuke bad behavior. The problem with an anything goes society is everything is permissible when it ought not to be.

If folks dont have character, are not properly raised, and don't know how to be gentlemen and ladies, well, that does not speak well of any of us.
    wmhawth and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I'm uncertain if the above is attributable to Edward or to Don't Tread, but the answer is that you live in a society.

You are not an island unto yourself, even if you think you are. Do you object when your money goes to build schools, fire-stations, fighter planes? Do you object when a road is paved? When a traffic light is installed?

This has nothing to do with my money being cut directly as a check to an individual

there is a little section in the bible about not harvesting the corners of your field so as to leave food for the poor. You might just
    as well ask why any one should have obeyed that command. (There is such a thing as morality.)

Oh, btw, in Colonial America and pre- Revolutionary America, towns provided welfare. There were always orphans,
    widows, disabled, incapable, insane, who needed caring for; and the community did the caring.

, you still can't overlook that you live in a society, and therefore and don't want the desperate randomly breaking your door down because that is the only way they can survive. There have always been poor people, always will be poor people. Poor people have always been despised.
    Someday you might run out of luck and be one. Be careful how you look at things.
    This I understand and am not against. My issue is that the current installation makes it too easy for people who are perfectly capable of earning their own money to abuse the system and reap the benefits.

Even if you don't think scripture is good argument ( a view Imight share with you)
    Please explain to me what you meant here.

I am good person Hopyard, and if we were to come across each other out in the world I can guarantee you my personality would pleasantly surprise you. I was raised in the Church of God in a family full of preachers. Raised to show compassion and respect for others without first receiving it. But I was also raised to think that God helps those that help themselves, and the direction that our country is headed is one where the people want to rely on the government to care for them, and to be dependent on them. My problem with the current system is that it is too easy to take from without adding to.

If you take a water tight container and drill three holes in the bottom and three in the top you can keep the container full by pouring water in the top three. If you have many more holes in the bottom than the top, you will run out of water my friend.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Organizing for Power: Please answer this question, a "Yes" or "No" will suffice:

Are you blaming the USA for the 9/11 attacks?

This seems to be what you infer above.
    i dont believe i can answer that at this time without potentially violating the rules.

a
    s well ask why any one should have obeyed that command. (There is such a thing as morality.)

Even if you don't think scripture is good argument ( a view Imight share with you), you still can't overlook that you live in a society, and therefore and don't want the desperate randomly breaking your door down because that is the only way they can survive. There have always been poor people, always will be poor people. Poor people have always been despised.

Ref. the bolded. That passage of the bible tells individuals to help the poor with what we have, and I do. It does not tell the government to take my money and give it to those whom certain individuals desire, i.e. transfer of wealth.
    BigStick likes this.

wasnt there something about cesar in there? give him money or something like that?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    ...what was intended is meaningless...
    Wow really?!?! So what does that mean for the rest of our constitution? Or any laws for that matter? That is a very powerfull statement. I would argue that what was intended is all that matters. Well at least what was actually written combined with the intent.

Otherwise you would agree with on of out Supreme court justuces who thinks the constitution is something between what it says and what you want it to say?
    Pistology likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Wow really?!?! So what does that mean for the rest of our constitution? Or any laws for that matter? That is a very powerfull statement. I would argue that what was intended is all that matters
    its a living document that has been greatly changed since its writing to match the changes in society.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Some were killed over slavery,but no where near the 600,000 that you were taught to beleive.

Religious people trying to feel good? I dont think so. Funny that you would mention religion. Is the fact that others beleive in something other than themselves a sore spot with you?

It may be that you Cold Shot, are the type of person that this thread is about.

So please, keep it on track and leave the religion bashing out of it.
    I recall hearing things like 20,000 union soldiers dying in a single day in Fredericksburg, up to 50,000 dying in three days at Gettysburg, and I don't remember a number, but I always thought Antietam was the bloodiest day of the war. My guess is that a lot of guys were dead when it was all said and done.

I mentioned religion because it was touched upon in an earlier post. Do whatever you want; believe what you want to believe. Is it a sore spot with you that I mentioned religion in a slightly undesirable way? I studied it back in the day, and I don't practice any form of religion. I'm not an atheist. All I know is that I sat there for years in Catholic school and eventually I realized, as a child, it just didn't add up. I didn't bash anything.

The Gandhi comment is just something I heard about recently and somebody else mentioned the man. I have not researched the topic and wasn't claiming it to be truth.

HotGuns, you're a bold one. I find a lot of the opinions in this thread to be ridiculous. It's just a point of view. I guess that makes me a bad American.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    That living document stuff is garbage. That is just a way of people saying that you can twist it to mean whatever you want it to. It's how politicians get around laws. It works for rich people with lawyers and politicians, but when the rest of us break a law, we break a law and go to jail.
    Walk softly ...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links