Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; breaking a law and changing one are 2 very different thing....

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 207
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

  1. #91
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    breaking a law and changing one are 2 very different thing.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #92
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    breaking a law and changing one are 2 very different thing.
    Changing the law so that you are not breaking the law when you go against what the law was put in place for means that laws should absolutely not exist because they mean nothing.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  4. #93
    Member Array John123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    East texas
    Posts
    126
    Me thinks theres a Troll amongst us!!!

  5. #94
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    Me thinks theres a Troll amongst us!!!
    He's already been called that in another thread and denied it. Hope he notices the pattern.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  6. #95
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Changing the law so that you are not breaking the law when you go against what the law was put in place for means that laws should absolutely not exist because they mean nothing.
    if it was done for that reason...well i would agree. most changes to the us constitution have been made to GIVE more rights to the people, not reduce them.

  7. #96
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    He's already been called that in another thread and denied it. Hope he notices the pattern.
    define a "troll" for me if you would? is it "anyone i disagree with? most people here are conservative so i disagree with them on many issues, if i argue with another liberal for no reason THEN im a troll.

  8. #97
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    breaking a law and changing one are 2 very different thing.
    You are right, they are different. I guess my quesiton to you then, is do you want us to change the Constitution, or just ignore it? Because you seem to think that it doesn't apply anymore.
    Walk softly ...

  9. #98
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    if it was done for that reason...well i would agree. most changes to the us constitution have been made to GIVE more rights to the people, not reduce them.
    The constitution was not written to give rights to the people, it was written to limit the powers of government. Our rights are not given by the government. They are ours, until we let the gov take them away.
    Spirit51 and MotorCityGun like this.
    Walk softly ...

  10. #99
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    You are right, they are different. I guess my quesiton to you then, is do you want us to change the Constitution, or just ignore it? Because you seem to think that it doesn't apply anymore.
    i am in favor of some changes to the constitution as well as some local (mass) state laws. the only time i would be in favor of ignoring either state or federal law would be in defense of basic human rights, like when people helped slaves illegally. so it would have to be a huge offense.
    i just dont believe in a concrete constitution, my morals dont always line up and often outright clash with the morality of 200 yrs ago. i think thats true for most people.

  11. #100
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    The constitution was not written to give rights to the people, it was written to limit the powers of government. Our rights are not given by the government. They are ours, until we let the gov take them away.
    meh, semantics. thats a better way to put it then what i said but i meant the same.

  12. #101
    Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    define a "troll" for me if you would? is it "anyone i disagree with? most people here are conservative so i disagree with them on many issues, if i argue with another liberal for no reason THEN im a troll.
    My friend I think it is more the way you say things, and less what you are saying. There are other liberals here that add much to the conversations that takes place. However you seem as though you're only here to argue, and while that is absolutely your right I'd hope that you also find time to participate in threads about more than something you just disagree with.

    As to the law changing thing, I'm having a hard time finding your reasoning. You want a government that is unrestrained and able to enact/change whatever laws they like on a whim?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

  13. #102
    Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    meh, semantics. thats a better way to put it then what i said but i meant the same.
    I'm not just trying to be argumentative here, but I do want to point out that there is a huge difference in the way we said, and I think see things. It speaks to a different perspective on goverment and people. The purpose of writting the constitution as a list of restrictions on the government was because the founding fathers understood that governments are inherently incapable of not growing too big and infringing on peoples rights. It was written in an attemtp to prevent that. More power leads to more corruption as politicians seek more power. We need to restrict them, not let them restrict us and our rights.
    Walk softly ...

  14. #103
    Ex Member Array Edward7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    middleboro, MA
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    My friend I think it is more the way you say things, and less what you are saying. There are other liberals here that add much to the conversations that takes place. However you seem as though you're only here to argue, and while that is absolutely your right I'd hope that you also find time to participate in threads about more than something you just disagree with.

    As to the law changing thing, I'm having a hard time finding your reasoning. You want a government that is unrestrained and able to enact/change whatever laws they like on a whim?
    not on a whim no, but i dont want a constitution that remains unchanged in opposition to the people's will. change must never come easily but it shouldnt be impossible.

    i will be more silently and argue less, my apologys for any offense. the zimm thing is kinda big for me and mine so i tend to voice that opinion often as for the morality generational thing...i stand by my approval for my generation. but enough excuses, i will attempt to be more polite in the future.

  15. #104
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Kent State, Chicago 1968 Democrat Convention, SDS, KU Student Union, Weathermen..........you have a point..........I still find the current disturbing for different reasons though..........
    KU Student Union?? Are you a fellow Jayhawk?

    I remember many of the same things and was close to others you list. My first husband was a member of the SDS, I was just a naive soul. When we got married, the FBI came to him and enlisted him in keeping tabs on the SDS, Weathermen, and even the Black Panthers....until those groups started scaring him. That is why I find our Country's Climate so disturbing. I saw the plans of those people and have seen it go according to their plans. That is when I saw the beginning of the collapse of civility. As the protesters disrespected young men who were sent to do the government's bidding in Vietnam....my own brothers being among them. At that time in 70, The SDS, Weathermen, and Black Panthers all scared me. Knowing them as well as I do...they still scare me, but don't intimidate me. I have taught my daughter the important things in life and continue to teach my grand kids the same.
    I was so happy to be shed of that first husband and I returned to my love of God, Country, and Family
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  16. #105
    Member Array John123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    East texas
    Posts
    126
    The constitution is the "tie that binds us" as all Americans. This is especially true due to the fact that we don't have a national religion, or even a national language. The idea that we should just start "meddling" with the constitution because of someone's moral relativism or activism due to recent politics is frankly absurd. The constitution is the rock we ALL can cling to in these trying times, a leveling document that puts us all on the same sheet of music. If somehow your greatly offended by the constitution of the United States of America, well the exits are north, south, east or west.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1960's deterioration of public behavior
,
america's crisis of character?and what to do about it
,
crisis of character noonan
,
deterioration of public behavior
,
noonan america's crisis character
,

noonan americas crisis of character

,

noonan crisis of character

,

noonan: america's crisis of character

,
noonan: america's crisis of character full text free
,

noonan: america's crisis of character printable

,
the leveling or deterioration of public behavior has got to be worrying people who have enough years on them to judge wi
Click on a term to search for related topics.