Crisis of Character

This is a discussion on Crisis of Character within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The leveling or deterioration of public behavior has got to be worrying people who have enough years on them to judge with some perspective. Peggy ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Crisis of Character

Exclamation Crisis of Character

The leveling or deterioration of public behavior has got to be worrying people who have enough years on them to judge with some perspective.

Peggy Noonan's
    editorial really resonated with me today. We have discussed, cussed and bemoaned singular acts and group acts, and Noonan does a great job of pulling together a thematic tour 'de force that really hit me hard.

A week, only a week. This is very sad, disturbing, and in a twisted way, confirms some thoughts floating around here.

Not pointing any fingers or naming names, but even herein I see similar behaviors in print. Not physically manifested that I know of, but disturbing nonetheless.

Civility. A simple concept, but apparently so difficult to grasp, and even more difficult to exercise.

Read this and weep.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ctions_opinion

Now I'd go a step beyond that. I think more and more people are worried about the American character—who we are and what kind of adults we are raising.

Every story that has broken through the past few weeks has been about who we are as a people. And they are all disturbing..................
    Tourists beaten down, flash mobs, sobbing women, deadbeat adults........the list goes on. We are ASSAULTED daily........

I don't know where to stop, start, or pause.

What are the thoughts here? Are we numb? Beyond caring? Beyond civility?

Or do we care?
    Hopyard likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Not numb at all. Born in 66 here to parents born in 30/33. I was raised on a farm in rural TN. I see the values and beliefs taught to me being scoffed at and made fun of daily. My wife and I do all we can to pass on those teachings but I believe we are simply out numbered. Doesn't mean we will ever give up though.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    We've lost respect for the Boy Scout Law, and after only a very few generations through public schools. We've got to get back to family values and parental responsibility. Grandparents can be the catalyst that inspires the young to discover the history of our country, the religious and moral foundation that made us great.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    I was born in the fifties and things the government has forced upon us through the years is only rearing it's ugly face. that's all I can say to keep from begun booted from this political correct and proper forum.
    I think it's to far gone to help at this point.....
    beararms likes this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

The majority of young people that I encounter are very self-centered, and not very concerned about morality. I try daily to be a good, moral person, but I feel like that is something that this generation of young Americans does not understand.

Ghandi said it better than I can, "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I added the link (above) to the full editorial I left out originally............

Or here it is again: America's Crisis of Character - WSJ.com

I was born in 77, my parents 43/52.. Im third generation "German" I was home schooled up till HS. Joined the Army at 17, Have two more to retire.. I've been married for 8 years this July, two daughters 5/7. I get compliments all the time on my daughters behavior, manors, and poise. You can blame and point the finger all day, but if you don't fight for your rights, you will lose them. Politically correct or not, I was raised to serve God, Family, and my Country. All of this and more I will teach, instill, and leave behind for my girls so they have a fighting chance when I'm gone. They love God, their family, Country, and are learning the price of the "Freedom" it takes to keep it. OOHRAH!

Seven years old, a girly girl, and the ONLY one in our gun club at her age that not only owns an AR, but can handle it safely, use it proficiently, and loves to teach the other kids how to BE SAFE and shoot it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334885604.470013.jpg

Not on my watch! And a proud father that can say, not on theirs either!
    MleeC, BigStick and RichB70 like this.

I think it's in large part due to our newly acquired "sensationalistic, razzle dazzle, if it bleeds it leads" 24/7 news channels. I think terrible things have always been happening throughout history (holocaust was in the 40's) but the difference is now its pumped into our eyeballs live, 24/7, regardless of if it has any bearing in our lives at all. Back before CNN, MSNBC, and yes even fox news, there was only the local nightly news, about local happenings and only if there was a MAJOR crisis would it be hit on, at 10:00pm. That was back when there was a semblance of journalistic integrity and there wasn't a constant push for either Extreme adjenda. In short, politics were local. Now days extremely polarized news stations push their adjenda from every angle and sensationalize every bad deed across the nation, all for ratings.

Ask yourselves this next time you see the headlines: does this REALLY matter to me? Really? Does the fact that one guy shot another guy in Florida really matter at all to 99.9% of our population, or is there an adjenda being pushed here? Twenty years ago would this ever have made the nightly news in Texas? Definitely not.

Does it really affect your life, personally, that some guy shot some students in California? I know there may be an emotional response, but unless they are your relatives that probably has no real bearing on your life. But because competing news stations have to pump something out 24/7, we are on a journalistic tour of train wrecks nation wide, with talking heads constantly trying to convince us that this somehow has everything to do with us.

So now we find ourselves here: where someone in New York really thinks what their opinion up there should have ANY bearing on my life in Texas. Where people in California RIOT over a story without all the facts unfolds literally across the country. Turn your TVs off and enjoy the spring, and vote when the time comes! Until then, it's all about ratings. Seacrest OUT
    danfive555 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    We won't go forward by looking back. I'm a child of the 60's born in the 50's and came of age in the 70's raised with a moderation of religion in the Bible belt, if you can relate.
    It is especially important for those who would carry to be above the fray. It is no coincidence to me that an active moderator feels compelled to comment on human behavior. He has a tough job in being fair but still presenting the best site to the public. It's the kind of challenge that builds character. I appreciate that "Rock and Glock" and the other good mods on DC stand up to be the adult in the name of the important American value for 2A and the right to self defense when there is so much influence in our society to be irresponsible and bedazzled.
    The Secret Service used to be the best of the best. My younger brother and I played and went to school with an agent's kids the same age as us. Their dad, a great, family man, no doubt. Noonan laments the latest scandal as a lowering of standards. Hopefully moving the service under "Homeland Security" didn't diminish its esprit de corps. But the government and our leaders and teachers aren't immune to a crisis of character.
    IF.....
    IF you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
    If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    ' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
    if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

-Kipling
    Kudos to us for "stopping and thinking about this".
    Last edited by Pistology; April 20th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    That person might not be related to us, but all this grandstand news affects us and our rights as a whole.....that's what's important abt all this stuff.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    What I see is just the usual generation gap, more or less.
    torgo1968 likes this.

Let me be an optimistic light here.

Now that I'm approaching "old cranium" status in my profession, I have had the privilege of instructing, mentoring, and leading the generation that is replacing mine, and I'm pretty encouraged.

I don't know for sure if there are more hard charging, red blooded, steely-eyed, idealistic, patriotic, lean, mean fighting machines than there are baggy-pants, slouch-walking, gangster wannabe mumblers, or weak-kneed, man-purse-wearing [or Snooki wannabe], sensitive new age punks, but I'll put my bets on the first group whether they're outnumbered by the other two or not.

I doubt much has really changed. I find most of this stuff to be ridiculous.

"Religious and moral values that made us great"

I won't argue my point, because what do I really know? But that is weaksauce right there.

I mean, we fought a civil war where 600,000 were killed over slavery. We're over it now, but it was messed up back in the day.

Gandhi allegedly wrote friendly letters to Hitler.

etc, etc, this thread is just religious people trying to feel good about themselves.
    Moops and torgo1968 like this.

Senior Moderator
    Some were killed over slavery,but no where near the 600,000 that you were taught to beleive.

Religious people trying to feel good? I dont think so. Funny that you would mention religion. Is the fact that others beleive in something other than themselves a sore spot with you?

It may be that you Cold Shot, are the type of person that this thread is about.

So please, keep it on track and leave the religion bashing out of it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Much of the moral relativism we see in society has to do with the collectivization of consequence. Ethics, ethics, ethics... above everything else... We will live in the world we all want to live in when we can answer two questions, "NO"
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links