Race Baiting

This is a discussion on Race Baiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On a different note I do agree to some extent that there is a cycle of poverty in America. It is hard for some to ...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Race Baiting

VIP Member
    On a different note I do agree to some extent that there is a cycle of poverty in America. It is hard for some to escape their paradigm. Some people just aren't capable of abstract thought, therefore they can't see past their current circumstances.
    shooterX and ericb327 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I don't understand how he implied anything. He quoted sources that back up his point. Sometimes claiming racism is backed by fact. Other times it is just a perpetuation of the problem of claiming racism when someone calls you out.

I can tell you that in all of the incidents that have led me to get a concealed carry permit, every one of those criminals that made me fear for my life was a black man. From the carjacker (x2), to the crowd of angry people that surrounded my car at a stop sign because a white family took a wrong turn into a black neighborhood, to the home invasion and attack on my wife while I was away on deployment, to the crack dealer on my street whose friends terrorized our neighborhood...
    So forgive me if my situational awareness alarms go off in the presence of those who look, talk and act like gang bangers. I distrust anyone, regardless of color, who dresses and talks like a thug.

Even after all of this, I was the one that said that I would give my blessing for my daughter to date/marry a black guy as long as he was a good person.
    I arm myself to protect myself from BAD people. Not BLACK people!
    Spirit51 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    This is completely uncalled for. Support it with facts (not opinion).
    Yep, I'm still waiting on an answer to my request for proof on this one as well. I always think its funny when someone disappears or ignores the question after being called out.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I arm myself to protect myself from BAD people. Not BLACK people!
    No joke. Only a half wit would be so delusional to think that Bad people only come in one color, gender, creed, religion, political party, ect.ect.ect. (to quote the King of Siam).
    Rock and Glock and ericb327 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

"Even after all of this, I was the one that said that I would give my blessing for my daughter to date/marry a black guy as long as he was a good person."

For me it is not color...it is cultural differences. Marriage is hard enough without that. I worked with a woman who was dating a black man. The pain she endured from the black community (especially the black women) was horrendous. I have heard black nurses talk about women who date "their" men. Made no difference whether they were White, Hispanic, Asian...same hatred. I have heard the same from Hispanic women about "their" men.

My daughter married a man from Belgium. The cultural differences were huge. (In the best Pepe La Pew voice) "Baby, women in MY country don't work on Ambulances. It is just not done." After a few years of "Well we AREN'T in YOUR country....You are in MINE and women here DO." He is finally coming around after over 15 years and one child, but it still has it's challenges. Like I said, marriage is hard enough. Don't even get me started about the demands his parents tried when they came to visit, "You must learn fluent French." "Not in MY country." Even though they spoke English. Sheesh.

I would accept any guy who treats my daughter and the kids well, but I wouldn't wish a cultural different spouse on my child, but then it isn't my choice.
    shooterX and Rock and Glock like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Well put Spirit
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

A human being capable of speaking and understanding any and all language would have no need for gods or governments.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    A human being capable of speaking and understanding any and all language would have no need for gods or governments.
    ???? Right because we English speakers here on this continent really have it pretty squared away. It's only when I cross the ocean to Europe that I run into problems.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    My point is no one has imply anything about crime being inherent to race, take a look back at the EXTREMELY disproportionate figures I posted about number of blacks incarcerated vs whites. Are you calling simple math racist?
    Yes, the way you apply it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I understand your point about poverty. But as a group it is incumbent of the persons living in those conditions to dig themselves out of it. Nobody is going to do the digging for them. Getting a person raised in a poverty cycle household to understand that they are the only one who can help themselves is the key.

For those who never lived poor I'll say that there is a ton of pitfalls for those with no money. I used to describe how I grew up to folks who were never poor by using the phrase "operating without a safety net". Without savings, one slip and you're toast. And it takes years to recover.

I have paid tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for things that wealthy folks never had to worry about because they had a safety net. Tens of thousands of dollars, mind you, that as a poor person I paid instead of getting ahead. The Navy got me out of the cycle, thankfully.

Example: I bought my first car, a 71 Super Beetle, for $500. After driving it for a year or two I got my orders from San Diego to Memphis TN for A-school. I put the car in storage and I let the registration expire (legal in CA). I just had to send the DMV a letter stating that I would be out of the state on orders for a specific amount of time and there was no penalty. When I returned I would just need to reregister and pay my normal yearly fee at that time. <--I hope that is not hard for anyone to understand. Basically since I was going to be out of state for 8 months I could save some money by not paying for those 8 months of registration fees. A good deal right? Wrong!

At some point in time while I was in Memphis my car was stolen from storage. I had drained the oil from it so the thief (I found out years later that it was a fellow sailor) drove it about 15 blocks and the motor crapped out. They pushed it to the side of the road where it racked up 11 tickets in 11 days for no registration tags. CA DMV then impounded it and before I ever returned home from school auctioned it off to a new owner.

I returned from school months later to find my car stolen. I called police and after about a week the detective gave me the bad news. The car was gone and sold and I couldn't get it back. At the time I was bummed because I couldn't afford another car but I wasn't that bummed because I was really only out $500. Boy was I wrong!

About a year later I got promoted to E-4 and I finally had the money to buy a car again. I went in and found out that my credit was bad. How? I asked. Well, all of those unpaid parking tickets were on there.

I talked to the city of San Diego about the tickets and I soon learned that I was on the hook for them. A registration ticket is $60 and I had 11 of them for a total of $660. After 30 days they double and after ninety days the re-double for a total of $2640. The city clerk told me that since I didn't have the right dates on my police report I was on the hook for the tickets.

I laughed at her at the time and hung up the phone but in the end I paid them. A rich(er) person would have paid a lawyer and cleaned things up (and their credit at the same time). I wasn't rich so I dug out from under them the long way and then waited seven more years for my credit score to go back up.

In total it took about three years to pay them and seven more for my credit to go back up. Ten years in all.

Back to the car dealer: After some unfriendly words from the car dealer I finally got my loan....at 21%. But I had no other option (no safety net) so I paid it. I ended up paying about 14K for an 8K car.

For a decade those tickets cost me money at every turn. A person who had a safety net, be it savings or parents with money, wouldn’t have had all the problems I did.

The truth for those of you who don't know it is that it's expensive to be poor.
    Spirit51 and MleeC like this.

This topic will never end because it concerns issues that will never end. They only way to end racism, prejudice, others putting others down, etc., would be to give all humans a lobotomy.

There are now 10 pages of posts on this thread and the issue can not be settled here. Given that, why does anyone think these issues can be ended in America. Many people have a hard time changing something within themselves so it is obvious one will have a hard battle attempting to change strangers attitudes.

Bottom line.... morality can not be forced nor regulated upon anyone.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    How many pages did we have on "Where in your wallet do you carry your permit?"? This one will go until the mods shut it down, which will probably be soon.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    My daughter's late Father in Law spoke many languages and always said he didn't believe in God.
    On his death bed he not only found God...he begged for Him.
    When he was flown back to Belgium, he no more than got off the plane and the Government Hospital killed him with a overdose of Morphine. (That was actually put on the death certificate) Socialized Health Care...go figure.

So in the long run...he needed God. Government...not so much.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

I guess I can't reason with you, oh well I've been called worse things than racist.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I guess I can't reason with you, oh well I've been called worse things than racist.
    I have more accurately been called much worse.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Links