Race Baiting

This is a discussion on Race Baiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ScottieG59 Here, many white males complain they are being wronged. They attack those who they fear. We should think carefully about where ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Race Baiting

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Here, many white males complain they are being wronged. They attack those who they fear. We should think carefully about where the conversation goes and the poisonous effects it may have on our children and communities.
    I take it by 'here' you mean America. Regardless, what you state may possibly be true. However your data is incomplete. You forgot to mention:
    Many black males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Indian males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Asian males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Latino males complain they are being wronged.
    Even Many teenage males complain they are being wronged.
    Etc., etc., etc., etc. Welcome to America......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

"I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I"

If "I" (the op) referred to myself in at least 15 times in just one post...

"I" think my head would explode
    Spirit51 likes this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Crowman,

Don't forget the ladies. I've heard the same out of my gender too. I am not refering to the line from the song "Frankie and Johnny".
    "He was her man, but he did her wrong."
    shooterX likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I" 'I" "I"

If "I" (the op) referred to myself in a least 15 times in just one post...

"I" think my head would explode
    I think the point of that was to identify the personal experience. When telling a story that involves people other than the person telling the story saying 'I' is a way of indicating that the person telling the story is being referenced.

ex.- I was driving to the mall with some friends in the car, because I had some shopping to do. I was looking for the next book in a series I was reading, whereas my friends were going to ogle various women at the mall.-

See how much better that works than not specifying myself? Makes more sense than 'we were driving to the mall...'
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    In my opinion it has a lot to do with the so-called hyphenated Americans. Are you really American or XXXX-American?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In my opinion it has a lot to do with the so-called hyphenated Americans. Are you really American or XXXX-American?
    That has to be a deep psychological self induced impediment if one considers themselves XXXX -Americans

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I...whereas my friends were going to ogle various women at the mall.-
    Oh man the Galleria is full of old farm girls in overalls

"I" drop the ole lady off and "I" sneak in some target practice at the Sportsman in Newport :)
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Crowman,

Don't forget the ladies. I've heard the same out of my gender too. I am not referring to the line from the song "Frankie and Johnny".
    "He was her man, but he did her wrong."
    This is just for you Spirit51
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqscpuCogRE

My humble apologies Spirit51. So here it is just for the ladies.
    Many females complain they are being wronged.
    (That would include, white, black, etc., etc.)

Many families can not get along with each other, many married couples can not get along with each other, many co-worker can not get along.

Realistically Utopia does not exist but it is a nice dream.

And in closing....... I never was the man I used to be.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Well call me crazy but I was always under the belief if one was born in America they were an American and nothing more (basically what your citizenship is (and yes there are those that have dual citizenship). Just as someone born in another country is called, for example a Canadian. What your heritage is is another matter and should stay as such. If not then someone would be a Canadian-German-Irish-French-Spanish-Italian American.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Clearly, many here do not understand racism well. I have seen the cycle go between groups and conclude that most racists think of themselves as a victim and perpetuate the cycle. Here, many white males complain they are being wronged. They attack those who they fear.

I am white, but not all my children are. I am a fair skinned blue eyed guy. Often, people open up to me about things such as their feelings about various minorities. Anti-black and anti-hispanic attitudes abound in the heartland. Because I speak German and look like a club member, people open up. I am never shocked with what I hear either in the US or Germany and that just makes people more blatant in their opinions.

Sometimes, I just gather information on those average people who let their guard down. We have the right to have opinions. When people act on prejudice, it is time to act within the bounds of the law.

I am somewhat to the right politically. However, rather than simply complain, I do what little I can to right the world. Over the years, I have adopted special needs children with my wife. We have grown kids who are married and raising their own families. Our children are white, native American, black, Hispanic and multiracial. One uses a wheel chair. All come from severely disadvantaged backgrounds, though they do not understand it.

As a parent, I have seen the racial attacks my children endure from other kids and adults. Imagine how that changes a person's self view. I do my best to ensure my children do not define themselves in the terms of their tormentors and that they do not carry forward the racist attitudes. The perpetrators of the future are found among the victims of the past. I do my best to break the cycle in my family.

I do not like the race baiting on either side of this issue. Those who pursue this line of thought dishonor our humanity and our nation.

We should think carefully about where the conversation goes and the poisonous effects it may have on our children and communities.
    Very good post, agree 100 percent. I have a bi-racial son who has endured racial prejudice here in Kentucky.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Comedy isn’t funny when it mocks those without power.

That's why Limbaugh and Imus got into so much trouble when they directed their attention to young women - there was a disparity in power that stepped across the bounds of what is reasonably permissible. And this has bearing on the subject in question.

You don't have to search far on the Internet to find a cadre of well-off, older white males who gripe and pule about how they can't use rude slurs for minorities. They complain that things would be oh-so-much better if everyone would just look, speak, dress, eat, and behave exactly like a well-off, older white male.

And in a forum like this one, expressing sentiments along these lines will garner a lot of "I hear ya, buddy," and similar back-slappery. It's hard out there for a bigot.

But it's not like we don't see examples of reverse racism. We do. See, the angst and begrudgements flow both ways. It's the power differential that only moves in one direction. This makes things complicated. The burden of fairness and impartiality is unevenly distributed and so it's extra important to overlook much, forgive much, and let many things go. If a segment of the citizenry wishes to hyphenate their Americanness, then that's A-OK.
    Secret Spuk, Doghandler and Moops like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Some people no matter what color their skin color is will go through life blaming their problems on others instead of taking responsibility and working to change their situation either thru Physical work,or schooling to become better educated in the Career they choose.
    I feel that people that base their self worth on what they have as far as Possessions/Toys Instead of Character Assets such as Honesty,Integrity,Faithfulness,Caring,Giving,Etc Seldom have good relationships with other people.
    I also dislike Criminal Gangs,they tend to attract kids that growing up felt unwanted/unloved and therefore when recruited by playing into their emotions they jump feet first,however the continued feeling of being wanted/loved becomes based on what they are prepared to do for the Club/Gang usually involving making money any way they can.
    How you act when you think nobody is watching really shows the true you and not what you try to convince people you are by lip service.IOW my Mom used to say actions speak louder than words
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Genuinely meaningful dialogue is impossible when it is actually a monologue based on the premise that whites are for the most part racist, and that views expressed contrary to that premise are in and of themselves racist.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Comedy isn’t funny when it mocks those without power.

That's why Limbaugh and Imus got into so much trouble when they directed their attention to young women - there was a disparity in power that stepped across the bounds of what is reasonably permissible. And this has bearing on the subject in question.

You don't have to search far on the Internet to find a cadre of well-off, older white males who gripe and pule about how they can't use rude slurs for minorities. They complain that things would be oh-so-much better if everyone would just look, speak, dress, eat, and behave exactly like a well-off, older white male.

And in a forum like this one, expressing sentiments along these lines will garner a lot of "I hear ya, buddy," and similar back-slappery. It's hard out there for a bigot.

But it's not like we don't see examples of reverse racism. We do. See, the angst and begrudgements flow both ways. It's the power differential that only moves in one direction. This makes things complicated. The burden of fairness and impartiality is unevenly distributed and so it's extra important to overlook much, forgive much, and let many things go. If a segment of the citizenry wishes to hyphenate their Americanness, then that's A-OK.
    I like the post but call into question the last part. Unless I'm reading it wrong it seems a bit condescending. Isn't re-writing expections for some just be a more subtle bigotry?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Well call me crazy but I was always under the belief if one was born in America they were an American and nothing more (basically what your citizenship is (and yes there are those that have dual citizenship). Just as someone born in another country is called, for example a Canadian. What your heritage is is another matter and should stay as such. If not then someone would be a Canadian-German-Irish-French-Spanish-Italian American.
    This kind of what I was eluding to with my earlier post, both of you said more precisely. My wife work in the hotel/service industry with a diverse group of people. She told me one day that the black people she works with don't refer to themselves as African-American, one girl even said "I wasn't born in Africa, I was born in American". The splitting us off into groups of any kind is a political ploy designed to promote an someones agenda, it's as old a politics itself.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The burden of fairness and impartiality is unevenly distributed and so it's extra important to overlook much, forgive much, and let many things go. If a segment of the citizenry wishes to hyphenate their Americanness, then that's A-OK.

Huh?
    ^^^For one thing^^^^^^Life is not "fair" ^^^^^^^

And everything else considered, especially in the last 35-40 years, higher education and job opportunities in the form of afirmative action have increased the chances for minorities to get ahead in life and make a better future for their families.
    Anyone( of any race) who drops out of high school, to goof off, spend their time unwisely and get into trouble with the law, has no one to blame for their troubles and failures except themselves.
    The drop-out rates for HS age kids is still at an alarming figure,

http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16
    even though its nearly in half, for Whites, Blacks and Hispanics, with the Asian and Am. Indian and Native Alaskans doing no where near as well.
    The problem is, many youths see what they believe a quicker, easier route to money and think that is
    the way to go, and when , in a lot of cases, it ends up in a dead end.
    Then its blame society/somebody else time.
    There are many white people who are part of the statistics including poverty, crime and so one, so it affects all races.
    People have to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

Bill Cosby said it well, and he could have been making a speech to the entire nation, when he said this, IMHO.........http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...cakespeech.htm
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links