Race Baiting - Page 3

Race Baiting

This is a discussion on Race Baiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is color really the issue or the end result...? IMO, it's the uneducated, uncivil behavior that's difficult for some to cope with and the me ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Race Baiting

Is color really the issue or the end result...?
    IMO, it's the uneducated, uncivil behavior that's difficult for some to cope with and the me first attitudes that come along with it.....like dealing with a five year old threatening violence if he doesn't get his way.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I take it by 'here' you mean America. Regardless, what you state may possibly be true. However your data is incomplete. You forgot to mention:
    Many black males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Indian males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Asian males complain they are being wronged.
    Many Latino males complain they are being wronged.

Even Many teenage males complain they are being wronged.
    Etc., etc., etc., etc. Welcome to America......
    yeah, but they have legitimate complaints unlike straight white christian males ages 18 to 65. i can only assume (i know i shouldnt assume ) most of us fit into hat last one.

First off, to say that racism does not exist is to be in denial. However, there are those who have an obsession with it and just cannot let it go no matter what. Some can and do their best to deal with the racism while not wanting to seem overly zealous about it either.

One man I had the pleasure of conversation with, he Black, me White was very enlightening for both of us. He began with the fact that I seemed very educated and did not want me to take offense. I didn't. Then he asked for my "white" perspective of the term African-American, which he refused to call himself. His Black friends were upset with him over it. He stated, yes his ancestors most definitely were African but, that he wasn't born there so why should he use the term. I offered the explaination that Black people in the U.S. only had about a 200 year history in the country and maybe were seeking an identity. He liked that and said that me and him were simply Americans.

The continent of Africa is huge and has a variety of people. The countries of Egypt, Lybia, Algeria, Morroco etc are on the continent. Should a citizen of one of those countries, or a white minority person from the country of South Africa emmigrate to the U.S. would they not be "African-Americans" too?

I know a man who chairs a committe to end racism. Seldom is there a conversation where he does not interject the notion that racism is in everything and it needs to stop. It has come to the point that I (white guy) have begun to avoid this person because he is so obsessed with seeing racism in everything that occurs. I fear sometimes that if I greet him with "hello" he will somehow find a racist quality in it. I know he means well and am glad he has taken it on, but not everything or everyone is racist.

Just some random thoughts, I don't know the answer to racism, but one day I think it will all go away.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; April 22nd, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Reverse racism has existed for many years in corporate life. I had a friend in the late 70's and 80's, a black, female mechanic. She could get a job with any large company or public entity with little experience, based upon who she was, not what she knew. She proved it by quitting many times until she found one she liked, while I had to stay with smaller companies. She is still a poor mechanic, but enjoying a lucrative retirement pension.
    As the the Hyphen-American issue, i believe Theodore Roosevelt said it all. While Wiki says he appointed numerous "African-Americans", T.R. would not have insulted them by using what he considered to be an offensive term.
    And I believe that racial profilling exists because it has proven to be effective. When the majority of crimes in an area are perpetrated by a particular group of people, then that group of people is more likely than others to be up to something. Simple mathematics.
    MleeC and Pkupmn98 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Comedy isnít funny when it mocks those without power.

That's why Limbaugh and Imus got into so much trouble when they directed their attention to young women - there was a disparity in power that stepped across the bounds of what is reasonably permissible. And this has bearing on the subject in question.

You don't have to search far on the Internet to find a cadre of well-off, older white males who gripe and pule about how they can't use rude slurs for minorities. They complain that things would be oh-so-much better if everyone would just look, speak, dress, eat, and behave exactly like a well-off, older white male.

And in a forum like this one, expressing sentiments along these lines will garner a lot of "I hear ya, buddy," and similar back-slappery. It's hard out there for a bigot.

But it's not like we don't see examples of reverse racism. We do. See, the angst and begrudgements flow both ways. It's the power differential that only moves in one direction. This makes things complicated. The burden of fairness and impartiality is unevenly distributed and so it's extra important to overlook much, forgive much, and let many things go. If a segment of the citizenry wishes to hyphenate their Americanness, then that's A-OK.
    There no such thing as "reverse racism". To believe such is to believe only white people are racists, which clearly isn't the case.
    atctimmy likes this.

i don't believe in supposed "revers racism". whatever is being called "revers racism" is either outright normal racism or an attack on justified affirmative action or some similar thing. normally its that later one.
    John123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    There no such thing as "reverse racism". To believe such is to believe only white people are racists, which clearly isn't the case.
    not all racists are white, thats definitely true. almost all (99.9999 continued) nazis and klansman are, but those are just racist organizations as opposed to individuals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    yeah, but they have legitimate complaints unlike straight white christian males ages 18 to 65. i can only assume (i know i shouldnt assume ) most of us fit into hat last one.
    Since I am not a Christian, I will accept your post as a validation of the legitimacy of my grievances. Thank you.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    not all racists are white, thats definitely true. almost all (99.9999 continued) nazis and klansman are, but those are just racist organizations as opposed to individuals.
    Since whiteness is a qualification for entry into those fringe organizations you mention, is there a point to your post?
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Hate breeds more hate. For each racist organization that sprouts up, I would gesture that an equal and opposite organization is created to "fight back". Examples would be Nation of Islam= KKK, New Black Panthers= Neo nazis, the list goes on. No race is innocent of racism, these are just the predominant ones we see here in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Since whiteness is a qualification for entry into those fringe organizations you mention, is there a point to your post?
    my point is that since they (kkk, nazis.) are the better know racist groups they tend to set the definition of "racist", coincidentally they are white only. the end result being the hard association between whites and racism and racist organizations.
    Doghandler likes this.

Looks like at least one scientist philosopher is hot on the case of skin color.

Nina G. Jablonski Distinguished Professor of Anthropology

Always Revealing, Human Skin Is an Anthropologistís Map

VIP Member
    my point is that since they (kkk, nazis.) are the better know racist groups they tend to set the definition of "racist", coincidentally they are white only. the end result being the hard association between whites and racism and racist organizations.
    Interesting observation, since we all know how an organization named the National Association For the Advancement of White People would be perceived by nearly one and all.
    John123 likes this.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Interesting observation, since we all know how an organization named the National Association For the Advancement of White People would be perceived by nearly one and all.
    helping a singular race or culture is not racist unless you do so at the expense of others. i dont view the NAACP as a racist organization. exceedingly liberal (even to me.) maybe, but not racist.

Zing! Pow! I'm getting the popcorn!!! (sorry for instigating)
    Edward7 likes this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links