Race Baiting - Page 5

Race Baiting

This is a discussion on Race Baiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; while work needs to be done, time is on our side. 3 or 4 generations from now and classic racism wont have a leg to ...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Race Baiting

while work needs to be done, time is on our side. 3 or 4 generations from now and classic racism wont have a leg to stand on.

in all fairness, no one group of people should be advanced at the cost of another. We should allow merit and character be the determining factor. I never want anyone to give me anything simply because I'm black. I want it because I worked hard for it and earned it. Don't advance me because of my color, but don't hinder me because of it either.
    Spirit51, MleeC, Mike1956 and 6 others like this.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

hinder or help seems to be the options though, neutrality seems to be impossible. at least politically/organizationally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    hinder or help seems to be the options though, neutrality seems to be impossible. at least politically/organizationally speaking.
    I do agree with you there, an it's really a shame. Racism (on any side) just serves to make things worse. If you are going to dislike someone, it should be for more than simply the color of their skin.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

VIP Member
    not when that race (and the NAACP doesn't just represent african americans, any minority or minority friendly cause.) is already at a disadvantage socially and legally. they are working towards what white americans see as the norm. they just want a fair shot, something they still dont have in 2012.
    and ill just say it, its not "racist" if the only negative effect is felt by us. we start out with a head start, they just want to catch up you know? call me when cops pull you over for being white in an expensive car and we'll talk.
    Bull Crap! Plenty of people of all races get dealt great cards to start life and plenty of people get dealt crappy cards.

I had plenty of hard luck as a kid but I also caught a few breaks. The reality of the thing is that winners are going to win and losers are going to lose. Skin color may play a small part but it is NOT the deciding factor in 2012 America.

Now then the argument may turn to cultural paradigms and "Nature VS Nurture" type arguments, but in the end America is still the land where dreams come true if you are willing to work for them.

I have worked with and been friends with many successful minorities. I have also worked with some serious white trash types who usually end up quitting or failing a drug test and then they are gone. Personal integrity and work ethic seem to be the things that set men apart.

As to your pulled over by a cop comment I'll also call BS. The only thing that the police interaction does is waste you time and frustrate you. Unless the cops kills you (and stops you from continuing on in life) it is only a speedbump on the road of life. Is it fair? No, but only quitters and wimps use "that's not fair" as an excuse.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Bull Crap! Plenty of people of all races get dealt great cards to start life and plenty of people get dealt crappy cards.

I had plenty of hard luck as a kid but I also caught a few breaks. The reality of the thing is that winners are going to win and losers are going to lose. Skin color may play a small part but it is NOT the deciding factor in 2012 America.

Now then the argument may turn to cultural paradigms and "Nature VS Nurture" type arguments, but in the end America is still the land where dreams come true if you are willing to work for them.

I have worked with and been friends with many successful minorities. I have also worked with some serious white trash types who usually end up quitting or failing a drug test and then they are gone. Personal integrity and work ethic seem to be the things that set men apart.

As to your pulled over by a cop comment I'll also call BS. The only thing that the police interaction does is waste you time and frustrate you. Unless the cops kills you (and stops you from continuing on in life) it is only a speedbump on the road of life. Is it fair? No, but only quitters and wimps use "that's not fair" as an excuse.
    while i respect your right to have an opinion i disagree with it entirely.

VIP Member
    not when that race (and the NAACP doesn't just represent african americans, any minority or minority friendly cause.) is already at a disadvantage socially and legally. they are working towards what white americans see as the norm. they just want a fair shot, something they still dont have in 2012.
    Sorry, but as a minority, I don't see them representing my interests, or addressing my concerns.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    i dont think that would happen overnight. maybe after doing something blatantly antagonizing maybe but not right away. then again, the name itself is a hit at the NAACP so the groups main cause would probably be to antagonize.
    Pick any name you like, anything indicative of a promotion of white interests would be met with hostility and disdain from all corners.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    and ill just say it, its not "racist" if the only negative effect is felt by us. we start out with a head start, they just want to catch up you know? call me when cops pull you over for being white in an expensive car and we'll talk.
    If you like experiencing the negative effects of favoritism, that is your business, but many do not. Drive your high dollar ride slowly through an area of drugs/prostitution at midnight and see for yourself.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    while work needs to be done, time is on our side. 3 or 4 generations from now and classic racism wont have a leg to stand on.
    I remember hearing that through the sixties, seventies, eighties, and, well, you get the idea. As long as the agenda of one group is actively promoted over the interests of another, racism will be alive and well.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The problem, I believe is that the human animal frequently behaves in herd-like ways, especially the young. It seems natural to trust things that look (seem) like yourself and to distrust those that don't. It's a matter of identity. If you dress, talk, walk, work, drive, and engage in the same activities as me, then I feel we have a lot in common and I understand you. If you have different ways that I don't understand, then I don't understand you and you are to be less trusted.

When we divide ourselves along lines of race, ethnicity, etc., we highlight the differences and tend to dismiss the similarities. This hurts us all. Some of this is unavoidable of course, but as in most things, the middle ground seems to be the healthiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Pick any name you like, anything indicative of a promotion of white interests would be met with hostility and disdain from all corners.
    there are plenty of "pro white" groups. the republican party for one.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    I offered the explaination that Black people in the U.S. only had about a 200 year history in the country and maybe were seeking an identity. He liked that and said that me and him were simply Americans.
    The first slaves arrived in Rhode Island sometime around 1652, and the first documented slave ship was the “Sea Flower” arriving in Newport in 1696. My math may be a bit fuzzy but I think that is a tad over 200 years, unless you're thinking post emancipation, that would be less than 200 years.

I worked at a university and had many student workers working for me from all ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds. I tried to get to know them as much as I could, I also had several BLACK students tell me the hated the whole hyphenated American thing; they were Americans by god! One of the best student workers I ever had was BLACK and he told me "No member of my family has set foot on African soil for several hundred years, we're more American than many recent immigrant white Americans who get to call themselves just plain American. If you have to categorize me, I'm BLACK! But by God I'm American".

Also, several years ago I saw a news program interview with (I think) Al Sharpton (could have been Johnnie Cochran) and he said [paraphrase] I'm ashamed to admit it but; when I'm walking down a street in DC and hear foot steps behind me, I'm revealed when I turn around and see it is a group of whites behind me"![/paraphrase] So; is the reverend Al an anti-black raciest????????????

Originally Posted by Edward7
    Perhaps not the best research source but I see it happen frequently on all the cop shows on TV (yea I know but TV viewing these days SUCKS) "Hey white boy what-cha doing in this neighborhood this time of night? Ain't nothing you white guys are doing here but buying drugs, out-a the car, put your hands on the roof and spread your legs"!!!! Aut-a sue for profiling I tell ya!!!!!!
    Spirit51 and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Mike1956, I would have no problem with a group that promoted white interest (as long as that didn't mean crushing someone else), but historically (and this not ALL group) usually groups that promote white interest do it by attempting to subjugate or destroy other groups. I have no issue with an ethnic group promoting it's own interest, but when that means killing someone else, the line is crossed. My mother taught me that I could love me for who I am without hating you for what you are (figuratively speaking).
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    Mike1956, I would have no problem with a group that promoted white interest (as long as that didn't mean crushing someone else), but historically (and this not ALL group) usually groups that promote white interest do it by attempting to subjugate or destroy other groups. I have no issue with an ethnic group promoting it's own interest, but when that means killing someone else, the line is crossed. My mother taught me that I could love me for who I am without hating you for what you are (figuratively speaking).
    I was making a point for comparison, not advocating a course of action. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said during the course of this thread.
    William T. Sherman

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links