Race Baiting

Race Baiting

This is a discussion on Race Baiting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Clearly, many here do not understand racism well. I have seen the cycle go between groups and conclude that most racists think of themselves as ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: Race Baiting

Race Baiting

Clearly, many here do not understand racism well. I have seen the cycle go between groups and conclude that most racists think of themselves as a victim and perpetuate the cycle. Here, many white males complain they are being wronged. They attack those who they fear.

I am white, but not all my children are. I am a fair skinned blue eyed guy. Often, people open up to me about things such as their feelings about various minorities. Anti-black and anti-hispanic attitudes abound in the heartland. Because I speak German and look like a club member, people open up. I am never shocked with what I hear either in the US or Germany and that just makes people more blatant in their opinions.

Sometimes, I just gather information on those average people who let their guard down. We have the right to have opinions. When people act on prejudice, it is time to act within the bounds of the law.

I am somewhat to the right politically. However, rather than simply complain, I do what little I can to right the world. Over the years, I have adopted special needs children with my wife. We have grown kids who are married and raising their own families. Our children are white, native American, black, Hispanic and multiracial. One uses a wheel chair. All come from severely disadvantaged backgrounds, though they do not understand it.

As a parent, I have seen the racial attacks my children endure from other kids and adults. Imagine how that changes a person's self view. I do my best to ensure my children do not define themselves in the terms of their tormentors and that they do not carry forward the racist attitudes. The perpetrators of the future are found among the victims of the past. I do my best to break the cycle in my family.

I do not like the race baiting on either side of this issue. Those who pursue this line of thought dishonor our humanity and our nation.

We should think carefully about where the conversation goes and the poisonous effects it may have on our children and communities.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Clearly, many here do not understand racism well. I have seen the cycle go between groups and conclude that most racists think of themselves as a victim and perpetuate the cycle. Here, many white males complain they are being wronged. They attack those who they fear.

I am white, but not all my children are. I am a fair skinned blue eyed guy. Often, people open up to me about things such as their feelings about various minorities. Anti-black and anti-hispanic attitudes abound in the heartland. Because I speak German and look like a club member, people open up. I am never shocked with what I hear either in the US or Germany and that just makes people more blatant in their opinions.

Sometimes, I just gather information on those average people who let their guard down. We have the right to have opinions. When people act on prejudice, it is time to act within the bounds of the law.

I am somewhat to the right politically. However, rather than simply complain, I do what little I can to right the world. Over the years, I have adopted special needs children with my wife. We have grown kids who are married and raising their own families. Our children are white, native American, black, Hispanic and multiracial. One uses a wheel chair. All come from severely disadvantaged backgrounds, though they do not understand it.

As a parent, I have seen the racial attacks my children endure from other kids and adults. Imagine how that changes a person's self view. I do my best to ensure my children do not define themselves in the terms of their tormentors and that they do not carry forward the racist attitudes. The perpetrators of the future are found among the victims of the past. I do my best to break the cycle in my family.

I do not like the race baiting on either side of this issue. Those who pursue this line of thought dishonor our humanity and our nation.

We should think carefully about where the conversation goes and the poisonous effects it may have on our children and communities.
    Thank you for posting that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

at times our demons are not what we can see but what is in front of us

Well said
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Thanks for that, ScottieG59.

I wish I could have been able to attend this lecture, "In Living Color: The Evolution and Meanings of Human Skin Color" by Nina Jablonski.

VIP Member
    I loathe only the angry mob and those who would incite it for their own gain, regardless of the color.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Appreciate your post

The squid beats the shrimp. Oh wait that's bait racing ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I used to work with a guy of Italian descent. He would often enlighten us with his wisdom. "The problem with the (insert race-of-the-day) is that they ,,,,," It got old fast, nobody wanted to hear it, but the same old song kept coming back. One day during lunch with the crew of a dozen or so guys, after one such rant i said "you know what the problem with the Italians is?", "They think they are white". He wouldn't speak to me for months! I don't really feel that way but baiting a baiter felt good, and him not speaking to me was a bonus.
    Last edited by Arborigine; April 21st, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    The country would be a better place if we stopped seeing people by their color and as our fellow Americans.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Karma catches up. Whomever you hate will end up in your family. I don't have time to hate anyone.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Great post! Thank you.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    I think the problem stems from perceived reality and practical experience. One person spreads racial hatred and the victim of that hatred now hates in return. The cycle continues until the poop is evenly distributed to everyone. There are no innocent parties in the racism game.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Here, many white males complain they are being wronged.
    Are we on the same forum?

how the hell did you make that assumption?
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links