What percentage of OC and CCer's do you think realistically train

This is a discussion on What percentage of OC and CCer's do you think realistically train within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have noticed from my own personal experience that folks that carry for self defense do little other than go to the range and punch ...

View Poll Results: What percentage of gun owners train realistically for SD (to include fitness)

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • <10%

48 69.57%
  • 20 %

9 13.04%
  • 30%

10 14.49%
  • 40%

0 0%
  • 50%

1 1.45%
  • >50%

1 1.45%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What percentage of OC and CCer's do you think realistically train

What percentage of OC and CCer's do you think realistically train

I have noticed from my own personal experience that folks that carry for self defense do little other than go to the range and punch wholes in round targets from a static positions.

What percentage of folks do you think REALLY train for self defense. Not just the ones you know. But overall the gun toting population. This includes realistic training at the range and or self defense (combatives, martial arts) or just stays in shape by having a decent work out regimen (yoga, running, weight training, eating right etc..).

2. Remove Ads

I agree...........punching holes in paper is not training.

I'm saying 1 out of 3 but that's probably too optimistic.

I'm being charitable by saying 20%.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I would estimate in the area of ten percent. That it's not to say that I think ninety percent of us are slackers, just that I think a lot of people due to physical or financial limitations, or the rules at their local ranges are not able to train "properly".
    John123 and oneshot like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I voted 10% or less. I know to many folks with their carry license that all they do is punch holes in paper and think thats enough. To many false notions about the conceal carry class being training and the instructors words being god like. Individuals need to be informed about proper training, were to get it, and to seek it.

I would estimate in the area of ten percent. That it's not to say that I think ninety percent of us are slackers, just that I think a lot of people due to physical or financial limitations, or the rules at their local ranges are not able to train "properly".
    Training does not have to be in the class room. I wish it were, but like you said, to many times there are things in the way. However, this should not stop someone from doing what they can. Videos, dry fire practice, drawing for the holster, being conceal or not. Training can still take place, and should.....
    Walden and First Sgt like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

sgb
    ......................... >10%
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

This includes realistic training at the range and or self defense (combatives, martial arts) or just stays in shape by having a decent work out regimen (yoga, running, weight training, eating right etc..).
    For many, training for real is not as ego-satisfying as shooting tight groups from a perfect Weaver stance on the range.

I train in my house. I have the wife set up a timer and puts it somewhere and when it goes off I see how fast I can react. Timer is set for up to eight hours so it is a surprise. Working out in my gym and run or hike. You can practice wearing a holster on your weak side and practice drawing, aiming and squeezing the trigger off hand (of course check 100 times to make sure it is not loaded!). We all sometimes have an injury with our strong hand so it comes in handy if needed.

I wish there was an easier way to train. Fact is, around my location, there is basically nowhere to 'train'. At my local gun clubs, they ban firing more than one shot per second, so rapid fire is out of the question. Plus, they 'ban' quick draws and all that kind of stuff.

I used to shoot lots of IPSC, and I considered that pretty good 'training', but not adequate for street carry IMHO.

Someone needs to develop a system you can use at home (or local gun club), with a replica gun using laser pulses (instead of bullets). Maybe have the gun cycled by compressed air to mimic a realistic 'kick'. I've seen similar systems, but on a large scale......

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I wish there was an easier way to train. Fact is, around my location, there is basically nowhere to 'train'. At my local gun clubs, they ban firing more than one shot per second, so rapid fire is out of the question. Plus, they 'ban' quick draws and all that kind of stuff.

I used to shoot lots of IPSC, and I considered that pretty good 'training', but not adequate for street carry IMHO.

Someone needs to develop a system you can use at home (or local gun club), with a replica gun using laser pulses (instead of bullets). Maybe have the gun cycled by compressed air to mimic a realistic 'kick'. I've seen similar systems, but on a large scale......

-
    Airsoft works really well...
    suntzu and John123 like this.

I absolutely feel for those who only have public indoor ranges to train at. I've been there and it sucks....

I'm fortunate enough to have PCS'ed to a location with an outstanding private outdoor range. We have individual pistol/rifle bays, barricades, steel plates, room to move your vehicle into the bays if you want, its great! I'm able to practice "getting off the X" weekly, drawing from concealment, engaging from and maneuvering around my own Personally Owned Vehicle, to the point that these actions are no longer awkward.

If anyone on this forum is around the East Texas area and is looking for a place to train, PM me!

When I started training out here, I was AMAZED at what I didn't know, and had just assumed.

"We know what we know, we know what we don't know, but it's what we don't know- that we don't know that should keep us up at night."

Airsoft or paintball might be a fun way to learn and practice to move and shoot. Pretty fun too.

I know, I know: not real equipment or realistic self-defense situations, but dangit if it ain't fun. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Airsoft works really well...
    Have you heavily invested in airsoft? I have to admit I'm a bit ashamed of buying them, but when it's raining or I get that insatiable itch to go shooting at night I've got a cheap CO2 powered M&P that I will train with in the garage. I basically just practice my draws and using it in conjunction with a light.

Have any recommendations or unique target ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    Have you heavily invested in airsoft? I have to admit I'm a bit ashamed of buying them, but when it's raining or I get that insatiable itch to go shooting at night I've got a cheap CO2 powered M&P that I will train with in the garage. I basically just practice my draws and using it in conjunction with a light.

Have any recommendations or unique target ideas?
    My little bro and I use them for FOF drills. They really work well in that context. What you are doing is fine. For targeting, have the wife or the kids set up targets thru the house. Or put masks on them and have them jump out at you. That will get the heart racing...As for investment, not much. Just the cheapos....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links