Laughter Heals all wounds, can it save me?

This is a discussion on Laughter Heals all wounds, can it save me? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It is amazing how in a tense moment if someone tells a good joke or does something funny how the tension is relieved. My wife ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Laughter Heals all wounds, can it save me?

Laughter Heals all wounds, can it save me?

It is amazing how in a tense moment if someone tells a good joke or does something funny how the tension is relieved. My wife and I have survived over 25 years because of it. I create laughter (sometimes unintentionally) frequently at home and at work. I guess I might be what was called the class clown. I have heard that if you tell the officer a good joke there is a good chance you can get out of a speeding ticket.

Sometimes at work I have to look at disturbing photographs and read disturbing accounts, some people cannot stomach these. The best coping mechanism is laughter. When I read tense discussions on this forum I always want to throw in a good joke.

Here is the question: can laughter save you in a self defense situation? If I can make the bad guy laugh will he let me go or otherwise be disarmed?

It's really easy for me; all I have to do is start to dance, he will be rolling on the floor holding his stomach. I grew up in the 70's..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    To the BG's "stayin' alive"
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Can a joke save you? It will vary with each scumbag you encounter but it can't hurt to try.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If I was a BG with the mindset that I'm going to take you down and you started shaking and wetting your pants I might smile
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Some BGs might get a laugh out of my "short barrel" But I believe it will do the trick> (sorry)

Senior Moderator
    A good laugh might not save you, but it may allow enough of a distraction so that you can save yourself.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When confronted during an attempted robbery, I doubt that your 'joke list brain cells' will be clicking to full capacity.OMO
    WHEC724 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Try this one on the next robber. So the robber sticks up a guy and his parrot. The parrot keeps repeating "Jesus is going to get you." "Jesus is going to get you." Finally the robber says what is your name wise guy. The parrot says "Moses." What dummy named you Moses? The parrot says the same dummy that named the rottweiler Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Can a joke save you? It will vary with each scumbag you encounter but it can't hurt to try.
    I disagree. You never know which BG might just take it as an affront and off you for being "disrespectful" to them.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I disagree. You never know which BG might just take it as an affront and off you for being "disrespectful" to them.
    True, I wouldn't add it to my list of strategies and tactics.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    When confronted during an attempted robbery, I doubt that your 'joke list brain cells' will be clicking to full capacity.OMO
    Call me a stick-in-the-mud, but I just plan on shooting the guy that tries to kill me.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

I always just lay this on 'em:
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
    After that line I let Mr Glock do the comedy routine.
    RETSUPT99 and ctr like this.

Point at his crotch and laugh.

That should give you time to draw while he looks down.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    I would prefer magic tricks to a comedy routine, like making a Glock appear out of thin air. Nothing up my sleeves...
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If someone sees me they will call 911 thinking I am having a seizure.

Links