Careful what you post!

This is a discussion on Careful what you post! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the years I have been a member of this forum I can recall several incidents in which members made posts that in my opinion ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By mcp1810
  • 2 Post By Hopyard
  • 4 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By mcp1810
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By kb2wji
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Careful what you post!

Careful what you post!

In the years I have been a member of this forum I can recall several incidents in which members made posts that in my opinion danced on the edge or sometimes even crossed the line of legality. While the moderators do an excellent job of keeping things civil they can't be everywhere all the time. I hope this is just a friendly reminder to everyone that a post made in anger could come back to haunt you.
    Texas couple awarded $13 million in Web defamation case | khou.com Houston
    Hopyard likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

I agree to a point, but it is only libel if it is false....
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Truth is an absolute defense.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Truth is an absolute defense.
    Truth is an absolute defense if you have $100,000 for defense counsel and investigators. Otherwise,
    the case is decided on "preponderance of evidence" which is a pretty thin boundary between
    having a smile on your face and owing someone more money than you can earn in a lifetime.
    Rock and Glock and mcp1810 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Truth is an absolute defense if you have $100,000 for defense counsel and investigators. Otherwise,
    the case is decided on "preponderance of evidence" which is a pretty thin boundary between
    having a smile on your face and owing someone more money than you can earn in a lifetime.
    Touche'. Very good point that I had not completely thought out. This would be a civil suit, not a criminal suit; different rules for being found guilty.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

One of the biggest no no's I have seen is folks that openly say they carry in places that are against the law and advocate the same to newer members. Fortunately every time members or the mods have stopped that real quick.
    Mike1956, Badey, Hopyard and 1 others like this.

One of the most memorable incidents for me was a former member writing about a high profile controversial shooting in the Houston area a few years back. This member described (IIRC) the shooter as a "murderer". The words "murder" and "murderer" have very specific legal definitions. There was no disputing the shooter was a "killer" or had commited "homicide" but "murder" is specifically an illegal killing. The shooter was no billed by the grand jury. The killings were found to be legally justified.
    Had the shooter been aware of our forum and wished to pursue it he and his lawyers could have ate our former member for lunch.
    If our former member had stated that it was only his opinion he might have had a leg to stand on, but he was stating it as fact not opinion. And that "fact" was demonstrably untrue.
    Hopyard and msgt/ret like this.

I am always amazed at the people who self incriminate themselves in their posts.

But, there is another category of posts that even though they are just opinions of the poster, would be aptly used by a prosecutor to demonstrate a violent or overly aggressive mindset in a criminal or civil case.

If you put it on the internet, it's there forever, and what you post five years ago, today or tomorrow could come back to haunt you.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    One of the biggest no no's I have seen is folks that openly say they carry in places that are against the law and advocate the same to newer members. Fortunately every time members or the mods have stopped that real quick.
    Immediately after proclaiming themselves as being law-abiding citizens, as evidenced by the issuance of their gun licenses.
    suntzu likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I am always amazed at the people who self incriminate themselves in their posts.

But, there is another category of posts that even though they are just opinions of the poster, would be aptly used by a prosecutor to demonstrate a violent or overly aggressive mindset in a criminal or civil case.

If you put it on the internet, it's there forever, and what you post five years ago, today or tomorrow could come back to haunt you.
    Yes, saying I would shoot someone in a what-if situation posed on a board could possibly be used as evidence of premeditation or prior intent in the event of a similar, real-life event.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I agree. I still cringe every time I read one of the "Good: so and so shot so and so" threads. Some people dont realize that a nice high priced attorney will dig those posts up and you will be painted as a guy who is just itchin to kill BG's. Everyone likes when the good guys win, but to celebrate the violence is in poor judgement. It's a good reminder OP, thanks.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Freedom of speech, however, doesn’t apply to libelous statements. Vogel says opinions are okay, but people cannot write hurtful lies about individuals.

“Individuals are not free to say whatever they want anonymously on the Internet without some liability if they slander somebody,” he said.
    Opinions are one thing - lies and slander, quite different. Knowing the difference can save one a lot of grief and expense.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Some people dont realize that a nice high priced attorney will dig those posts up and you will be painted as a guy who is just itchin to kill BG's.
    I'm not here. In a few months I may even be known by another handle.

One thing that stood out is that because of the Lies being posted they had actual damages not only to their reputations,but their Income.The more that people use the Internet to post false allegations ,bullying,etc. the more you will start seeing lawsuits attacking the claim of Freedom of Speech.
    This forum does an excellent job of "Moderating" and members actually policeing each other when posts are made that could come back to haunt them.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links