What do you do besides gun specific training?

This is a discussion on What do you do besides gun specific training? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First of all I used the search function and could not find a similar thread. I am sure there is one out there but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What do you do besides gun specific training?

What do you do besides gun specific training?

First of all I used the search function and could not find a similar thread. I am sure there is one out there but I tried!
    I know we all come from different backgrounds and are different ages with different abilities due to age or injury or disability. But I think we all agree that the gun is just part of a weapon system. The most important being a sound body and mind. I was wondering what everybody does on a daily or weekly basis to just stay in shape.

Today I did Tai Chi for 30 minutes (sometimes yoga, yes yoga. Don't laugh. When I was in my unit we contracted for a yoga instructor. All these big tough guys being being trained by this 90 lb pixie. And it is great for everybody). Instead of driving to the Post Office I did a slow 4.5mile run (round trip). Sometimes I walk there. Walked the dog. And in the afternoon (just got done) worked out in my gym for about 30 minutes.

We have a Wii and Xbox and play games on those like tennis or golf or bowling. Wife does dancing which of course is great to watch We do that at night before the hockey or baseball games come on.

So, what does everybody else do? Even minimal is great and can help in a SD situation or emergencey like a fire in ones house or having to carry or move someone out of danger.

2. Remove Ads

I walk or jog at least 3 times a week. I brush up on hand-to-hand tactics often (had about 10 years of martial arts training, but have been out of it for a while). I play basketball every week or two with some friends. I should probably do more...
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I do a HIIT (high intensity interval training) program on a Spin Cycle, five days a week, an hour a day, for the last ten months. It's really an intense workout raising my heart rate around 175-BPM. That's not bad for an old 54 year old geezer, as my max HR is 166-BPM (220 minus age). I also lift weights on the "off " cycle days. In these ten months I've lost 44 Lbs... it's almost shocking to look in the mirror and see the muscle definition that I had in my late teens and early twenty's.

I do drink a whey protein (chocolate) shake after my workouts to help repair muscle and promote lean body mass and strength. I walk as much as I can, parking far from a stores entrance (weather permitting) and returning the cart back to the store entrance. Being a transfemoral amputee (right leg above the knee) I prefer a smooth surface to walk, this also limits the places I can safely ambulate.

Sarah Reinertsen is my motivation when needed (plus she's really cute :)

1st female amputee to become an Ironman

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    "What do you do besides gun specific training?" If you mean for SD training, or do you mean for general recreation.

It happens that age notwithstanding, I work on various aspects of martial arts 3 times a week. Good exercise, good
    excuse to get out of the house (retired) and I have fun.

I looked into Tai Chi one time but it was non-contact Tai Chi. Not for me. Old bones and all I like the
    hands on kind of stuff.

We have a Wi --whatever that machine is called-- which hasn't been turned on in a year. I liked the
    bowling and the boxing, which actually provided a decent workout.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Weight training, Kali and Muay Thai, conditioning drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I looked into Tai Chi one time but it was non-contact Tai Chi. Not for me. Old bones and all I like the
    hands on kind of stuff.
    I do combatives weekly. Tai Chi is for breathing, balance and coordination. Someone just put up a thread something like"what to do if you fall down". Tai Chi, as well as other martial arts help reduce the risk that you will fall Yoga is great for flexibility. Great if you have a body like mine that has had over 20 broken bones and other things.

VIP Member
    Over the years, I've accumulated a complete commercial-grade gym in my basement, and have been a free-weight junkie ever since I was 15.

Sadly, at age 47 it just hurts now and the injuries are frequent. The past few years, I continue to reduce the weight that I'm moving, but I may have to move on to a 'plan B' at some point...

VIP Member
    Bike, swim, run and weights. I like to ride my bike quite a bit. I don't like to run at all and I have to force myself to do it, biking on the other hand is fun for me.

Also I change allot of dirty diapers. That has to make you stronger but I'm quite not sure how. Maybe I'll be immune to CS gas after scorching my sinuses so many times with my kid's pants bombs.
    mano3 likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

My training is done through our Dept.,it's a mix of martial arts.I had training in the USMC(MCMAP)and did receive all 5 belts,I have trained with Southnarc,a very good h2h,ecqb,ecqh2h,I also do training with knives occasionally,the thing w
    e all need to remember is weapons fail,YES,even Glocks,get some sort of fonf training,"One Mind,Any Weapon".
    P.S. Put down the sammich and get off the computer sometimes too.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Build miles upon miles of fence every year, pounding posts, etc.
    Load lots of little bales every summer
    Still brand the old fashion way by roping them, dragging to the fire, and flanking them.
    Break colts
    Run from mad cows
    Bow hunt so lots of hiking (plains and moutains)
    Ride a bike a couple days a week
    Lift a couple days a week
    Play Basketball
    Ranch Rodeo (Google Wild Cow Milking)

Used to be a gym rat, but age and wear and tear make that painful. Now I'm a fat-butt trying to get back into shape. I walk with my kids and dogs every evening [1.5 miles]. Looking to start doing the basics again: push-ups and sit-ups.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I cut, split, stack and burn wood to heat the house. Slow but steady wins this race. Cut a little brush every year.

With respect to SD, I do a little shooting, trigger work with trainer rounds, and visualize the basics. Which for me is drop to cover, try to escape, or finally end the threat. Or if we are home it is get to cover, wait in ambush, end the threat.

We don't live where there are a lot of people and cell phone reception at our place is nil. So flash mobs would have to use smoke signals to surprise me. So I watch for smoke signals.

I usually work out in the mornings before work. I'll either run 4 miles or run 2 and lift some weights. I also train in Krav Maga three to four times a week for self defense training and a second workout in the evenings.

Although I must admit I have taken a break this week from waking up at 4:30 in the morning to get to the gym before work. Still went to the Krav classes though.

I wrestle bears
    Bear attack
    Badey likes this.

I train here twice a week:

H2HCTC Home Page --- Michael Foley's Hand to Hand Combat Training Center !!

Also cut, split, and stack firewood, ride bicycle, hiking/camping, and I think fishing helps somehow too :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links