Ode to my Front Sight (Good for morning Coffee)

This is a discussion on Ode to my Front Sight (Good for morning Coffee) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My mind is completely cleared, I have no rational thoughts running through my head. All the worries of the day and politics have melted away ...

Thread: Ode to my Front Sight (Good for morning Coffee)

Red face Ode to my Front Sight (Good for morning Coffee)

My mind is completely cleared, I have no rational thoughts running through my head. All the worries of the day and politics have melted away and I am at the range. My head is like a processor with all the busy programs and applications shut down, so only shooting is in both my conscience and unconscience. Time slows down.

I draw. I keep my eyes focused on the first steel plate. I see my sights coming into my perephrial vision as I begin to reach full extension. As I reach closer to extension my front sight bursts into clarity, the sunlight glinting off of the white painted dot. As I reach full extension I press the trigger rearward, breaking like glass. I hear nothing, but watch in vivid slow motion as my front sight lifts off of the steel plate.

As my vision focuses on the second steel plate my eyes, wide open, witness the sunlight glint off of the rotating brass round, cleanly ejected and floating through the air. I witness lead explode and paint chips fly in my periphrial vision as the first plate goes down, I do not focus on this. I focus on the second plate; I witness the slide of my pistol going back into battery, my front sight suddenly coming into focus on top of the plate. Glass breaks. I watch the front sight lift.

Without any rational thought and no judgement whatsoever as to how I'm doing, I drive my pistol from plate to plate, watching them drop like dominos.

I've cleared the plate rack. I look at my shot timer and smile. I'm in my happy place.

This, folks, is why I LOVE shooting. In the end it has nothing to do with aggression, killing, frustration or fear... In the end I love the act of shooting because in order to do it well you have to put everything into it. You have to shut your mind off to all the nuances of the rest of your life and just "Be" with your firearm. I truly become more relaxed at the range on a quiet day than I do at the beach. Nothing else matters in those moments than sight picture, sight alignment, and breaking the shot. When you can truly take every little millisecond of that perfect shot and freeze frame it in your mind, that's where happiness is for me.

Anyone else get that feeling on one of those perfect days at the range, or is it just me?

(I do train for a gunfight too, and often, but sometimes clearing plate racks just brightens your day as you focus on speed and the fundamentals).

2. Remove Ads

Anyone else get that feeling on one of those perfect days at the range, or is it just me?
    Absolutely. Alive totally in the moment. It's a Zen thing.

Links