Slow motion video of owl attack

This is a discussion on Slow motion video of owl attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many years ago I was deer hunting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I saw a white owl snag a mouse. I had entered the woods well ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow motion video of owl attack

Many years ago I was deer hunting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula I saw a white owl snag a mouse. I had entered the woods well before light and plopped down with my back against a tree. There was a quite a bit of moonlight reflecting off the spotty snow patches and I could see fairly well once my eyes adjusted. I caught some movement a few feet away directly in front of me as I sat motionless. It was a mouse furtively going about his business. I was able to pick out the paths he had worn in the snow and the little tunnel entrances in the mounds of weeds that stuck up in the snow. It was pretty neat watching him go about his business. Suddenly a large white owl swooped down and snagged my little friend. At least that's what I think happened. I definitely saw the owl swoop down a few feet away but I didn't actually see him grab the mouse. It happened very quickly. I sat there, heart pounding, awaiting dawn but never saw the mouse again. It remains one of my fondest hunting memories.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Several years ago we were driving home (rural) and my headlights spooked an owl that was on the edge of the road, a BIG owl. He flew off, and while he was gone I backed up and looked along the side of the road to see what he had snagged. Sure enough, there was a fresh-killed cottontail, and apparently the first thing the owl did was dine on his neck, because his head was completely severed.

Another time, one morning about 9 am, I was driving along the highway nearby and saw an owl standing alongside the road, I knew that wasn't "right" and backed up to look at him. He was dazed/injured and I knew he'd eventually get runover, so I stopped and grabbed him and brought him to my shop. A quick examination revealed the poor guy had a seriously broken wing, apparently he'd been hit by a car while swooping low across the highway during the night. I know it probably wasn't right to technically have him in my possession, but I did feel sorry for his predicament. He didn't make it, but at least died peacefully and unmolested in the darkness of my shop.

I nearly forgot about this owl-in-my-fireplace thread I experienced a few years ago. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...dded-today.htm

Hmmmm? It doesn't seem like that link above is working, if interested you can search "fireplace" in the title's and "ppkheat" in the users, it should bring up that old thread.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Hubby and I were going to a late dinner (or early breakfast) and had a huge owl fly in front of the car. We hit it and it didn't make it and really messed up the front of the small car we were in.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Sure enough, there was a fresh-killed cottontail, and apparently the first thing the owl did was dine on his neck, because his head was completely severed.
    My hunting club back in CT stocked a few farms with pheasants, and between foxes, coyotes and predatory birds I'd say we lost easily a third of the birds we stocked. Our dogs would occasonally fetch up headless pheasant carcasses, which was mysterious to us until a member saw an owl swoop down on a rooster he (the dogless hunter) was "stalking." The owl took the bird's head right off, but the hunter fired a shot to chase off the owl and was rewarded with a rooster with no shot damage. Seems like beheading the prey is SOP for the owls.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The owl took the bird's head right off, but the hunter fired a shot to chase off the owl and was rewarded with a rooster with no shot damage. Seems like beheading the prey is SOP for the owls.
    Thanks for adding that, it backs up what I saw. Mr Owl is apparently pretty thorough, not much chance for his prey to escape. The rabbits head I saw was separated cleanly.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a few Owl & other Raptor stories, here are the most interesting. Hope they are not too long and boring.

When I was a kid, we would go to my Great Uncle's farm/orchards outside Wytheville, VA to rabbit hunt around Thanksgiving Day. We were all out one bitterly cold day and the rabbits were non-existient. My Uncle came in from just inside of the woods near the end of a pasture field. He had cover alls with what seemed like a thousand pockets. He was grinning, put his hand inside of one and produced a small Eastern Screech Owl in gray phase. They can also be a rusty reddish colour too. He said that the thought it had frozen to death. It was perched in the fork of a sapling and when he poked it, the bird fell to the ground. So he picked it up, stuffed it into his pocket to show us.

I took it, looked at the small bird for a moment. Asked what I should do with it. My uncle replied, "Toss it into one of the dog houses" that was just a few feet away. So, I did that and when the bird landed inside, the bird awakened. I stared at it, he/she stared back with glowing yellow eyes. I made the mistake of reaching inside with a glovless hand and the little monster just squealed bloody murder and proceeded to shread my hand with razor sharp talons. I could have sworn I grabbed hold of the devil.

We "fought" for what seemed like an eternity and I finally hauled the Owl back out into the light. Apparently it did not like the brightness and quickly closed it's eyes and stopped attacking.

I took the bird back to the woods and gently placed it into the fork of a sapling to continue life as always. I learned a very, very valuable lesson. No matter how small, fluffy and seemingly insignificiant an Owl may appear, they can be vicious. My hands were cut in numerous places.

We have a bow window over looking the Avenue where we live, and a small table placed so we can see outside. I was eating lunch one day, and chatting on the cell phone with my wife for a bit. We have an old Crab Apple tree out in the front yard that Squrirrels love and they were running up and down all over it. Our bird feeder was packed too, and suddenly, the birds all scattered and the squirrels did too.

I looked up and could see a very large female Red Tailed Hawk swooping in. She was dive-bombing towards the window I was looking out of. "Wow!" I exclaimed as she saw the window, flared out her wings and tail much like the Owl in the video, kind of "putting on the mid air brakes" and she just drifted up to the roof.

My wife was saying, "What's happening?" So I told her. I went to the front door, opened and stepped out. On the downward slope of the roof towards the west, I could see the hawk. She was huge, biggest female I've seen. Her tail was dangling over the roof edge with her back to me. She swiveled that head about 180 degrees, saw me and with one silent swoop, she was gone.

Last story, not a Hawk or Owl, but one of the greatest moments in wildlife for me. I was driving to play drums in a band that I am in. Going up WV St. Rt 2, I looked above and thought I saw a very large Turkey Vulture circling overhead.

I passed underneath and glanced up. What I saw was a male Bald Eagle! I could see the white head and tail, he was just floating and I was utterly amazed. First time I have ever seen one in the wild, and also first one in my state.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    #1-When my father was ill, we had a caretaker who would come in during the day and help. One day the caretaker took some trash out to put in the can on the side of the house. There were ample landscape-type bushes by the cans that hid them from the street view. As the guy walked by one of the big bushes, all of a sudden there was a huge commotion coming out of the bushes and something large flying out. The guy dropped everything and ran back inside the house, once he calmed down and we were able to piece a story together, we're pretty sure a hawk had swooped down and caught a squirrel inside the bush, and just happened to fly off to leave with it at the moment the guy walked by. What a great video that would have made.

#2-We have eagles often stop by for several days to fish out of our pond. They are magnificent to watch, skimming the surface, grabbing a fish, and eating him while perched in a tree. We mostly see them in the winter, they'll hang around for a week or so, then leave.

#3-Years ago we were driving down the highway and I saw a hawk fly low and right across the highway in front of us, apparently focused on some prey in the highway ditch. His timing was not good as he flew right in front of a cabover semi. I watched it closely and it looked like that huge push of air in front of the truck shot the tumbling hawk straight up in the air. He tumbled back down, and fluttered off to the side of the road.

Having watched this I was pretty sure he was uninjured though really disoriented. Much to the shock of my family, I pulled off on the side of the road, grabbed my son's book bag, dumped his contents in the truck, and grabbed a long Mag-lite I happened to have and went running down the highway shoulder. I felt that hawk wasn't hurt, but he'd die an unnecessary death if he wandered out on the road. The hawk was very dazed, I grabbed him, pinned his wings, and put him in the book bag and zipped him up so he'd be in the dark and put him in the truck. I had three pairs of eyes in the truck all of them as big as saucers looking at that zipped bag. Doesn't Jeff Foxworthy say something about us having food in ditches?

When we got home I had a brave neighbor come over and hold the hawk with some welding gloves, while I palpated his body, feeling for broken bones, etc. He felt fine, but I wasn't sure how sore or disoriented he might be. I decided to keep him "under observation" for a day or so. I put him in an old rabbit cage and fed him some MRE's (Mice Ready to Eat). After a couple of days, I noticed he was looking up in the sky and sort of posturing as if he'd like to fly, so I opened the box and got out of his way. He flew out and landed on top of my shop and set there awhile. I went to lunch, and when I came back he was gone. Lucky hawk !

#4- This isn't a bird story, but one day I walked out of my house (we live very rural) and was walking to my truck and I happened to look out back at the barbed wire fence and there was something hanging on it? I walked down there and apparently a fawn following it's mama during the night had tried to jump it, and got one of its back legs hung between the top wire and the one below it. He'd been hanging there in that twist, upsidedown most of the night. We got the fawn untangled and brought him to my darkened garage and looked him over. Sadly his previous thrashing around had caused some seriously deep and extensive wounds, that had nearly eviscerated him. He was alive, not very responsive and had major trauma, I decided to put him to sleep, which I did. He was beyond a rescue but at least he wasn't suffering anymore.

Technically it was probably illegal for me to have that hawk and fawn in my possession? I know one of the game wardens here pretty well, next time I see him I'm going to ask his opinion. He'll probably say to give him a call next time and just let him know what I've got injured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links