Slow motion video of owl attack

This is a discussion on Slow motion video of owl attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Fantastic to watch, though it looks like someone "baited" the area near the camera to attract an owl, and it worked. The video ends a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow motion video of owl attack

VIP Member

Slow motion video of owl attack

Fantastic to watch, though it looks like someone "baited" the area near the camera to attract an owl, and it worked. The video ends a bit too soon, but the flight and posturing of the owl is amazing.

Amazing nature - The Eagle Owl

Just the other day I was mowing hay in a large field and was nearly finished with only a small strip of grass in the middle. I had been watching a red-tailed hawk hang around nearby, of course he's looking for the small critters that gets exposed due to the mowing. I had made a turn and noticed the hawk flying low in my direction, flaring his wings and nearly catching a small bird that was flying low and back to the remaining strip of the grass. I'm not sure the small bird knew the hawk was at his 6 o'clock and quickly closing. The hawk disengaged as my tractor happened to get inline with his flight path. It was definitely the little birds lucky day.

BTW the little bird, which I can't come up with his name, typically resides in grassy fields, very dark in color, short stubby wings. His manner of flight reminds me a little of a quail. He's not a pretty bird, or one that is a highly skilled flyer. What's the name of this "lucky" bird?

ADDED- IIRC I believe that an owls wings/feathers are designed so that he flies silently, no noise of the wind rushing over his wings to alert some prey. Apparently they're stealth. I've never had an owl fly overhead (that I know of), I've had a lot of ducks fly overhead and while gliding, the air rushing over their wings makes a LOT of noise, sort of a jet-like sound.
    Last edited by ppkheat; April 28th, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Beautiful. I saw a hawk take a squirrel once... it was awesome.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Gorgeous!!!!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Just guessing, but I'm thinking the lucky bird may be a grouse.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Cool!!

It looks as though, @ 35-40 secs. you can see bands on each of its legs, as though it is someones private bird.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

That was kewl.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

We have quite a few owls living around us. As of lately they have been having frequent and loud "meetings". Might be breeding season. Don't see them often. Their silent flight is due to their feathers being "hollow". Very interesting birds. I had a little one for a few days. He ran into the living room window. Eyes were unequal and he wasn't sure what he was. He lived a few days then fell victim to his head trauma. He was cool while he lasted. Ate hamburger and stayed on a perch. We did try to get him to a Conservation group, but they didn't want him at that time.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Way cool

this time of year the successefull pairs work in the daylight, amazing silent effortless gliders, cruising for rodent...or what ever for the nest..latter in the year the larger owl raptor nest's (barn owl)get harvested for thier "skat"..compact skeletal packages of various field rodents complete, sans soft tissue and hair..for educational use...thanks for sharing...

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    years ago i was painting the underside of the eves, up a ladder about 12' and heard a wind sound--looked and saw a hawk, wings wide like the owel's at the films end
    just as it grabed a squirrel. it took it to my neighbors roof peak and as the neighbors gathered and i took film pic's...it had lunch

kinda gross watching it rip into the squirrel was a comment from many people. go figure--one mom actually covered her 7 year olds eyes.
    it was the mannor in which the hawk said 'thank you' that was less than delicate--b.i.g. dump on the roof
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    ADDED- IIRC I believe that an owls wings/feathers are designed so that he flies silently, no noise of the wind rushing over his wings to alert some prey. Apparently they're stealth. I've never had an owl fly overhead (that I know of), I've had a lot of ducks fly overhead and while gliding, the air rushing over their wings makes a LOT of noise, sort of a jet-like sound.
    Within 6" there is a very slight wooshing noise of air. Just enough to scare the daylights out of me. I've been within a couple feet of an owl in flight twice. Once on the ground when it buzzed about 6" off of my head. Second time in a treestand and it flew past me about 3' to my right. Slight noise when they are very close, but it's too late for the critters by then. We have a Barred Owl in the woods I hunt. I hear him hooting a lot. I'm pretty sure that was what flew past me in the treestand. I had heard him behind me about 15 minutes prior. Not sure what type went over my head. We had a Great Horned Owl sitting in a tree about 40' away one evening on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Amazing birds for sure.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

About 15 years ago I was hunting coyotes on a hill that had been cut of all trees, it gave me a good look over the lower land. It was winter at 5am, still dark the land was lit up by the full moon on the snow, with a slight overcast lighting the sky.

I started the first round of calling at a low volume, I blew the call for 3-4 squeals and paused. At this point I noticed something off to my right in the air, at first I thought it to be a bud from a sapling or something of the like. After a second or so I noticed it was changing shape and moving, there was no wind that morning.

About this time curiosity got the best of me and I looked square at it, from under the brim of my jungle hat. It was an owl coming in for the dinner that it had been waiting all night for. I immediately started yelling and waving my arms, it put the brakes on and stopped in the air without a sound, it circled around a few times took a couple of dives near my head, then flew off, just as hungry as it had arrived.

The vision I had in my head as this was going down, was his talon going through my temple and out my eye, and then discovering that I was not a rabbit and just fly away.

The view was just about like the video at about the 59 second count.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Fantastic to watch, though it looks like someone "baited" the area near the camera to attract an owl, and it worked. The video ends a bit too soon, but the flight and posturing of the owl is amazing.

Amazing nature - The Eagle Owl

BTW the little bird, which I can't come up with his name, typically resides in grassy fields, very dark in color, short stubby wings. His manner of flight reminds me a little of a quail. He's not a pretty bird, or one that is a highly skilled flyer. What's the name of this "lucky" bird?
    I believe that is a Meadow Lark; they flush just like Quail but are illegal to shoot.

Meadowlark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have watched hawks and owls many times, fascinating when they swoop down and grab prey.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    A few years ago I was bow hunting and a big red tailed hawk landed in a tree about 25 yards away across a small clearing. I was in my tree stand and sitting very still. I also had my face painted for better concealment. After him watching me and me watching him for about 5 minutes he decided I was a prey item.

He swooped down to gather speed and came across the clearing in about the same amount of time it took me to realize that he was coming for me and not for a rodent on the ground. I quickly raised my bow to block him from grabbing my face.

He was in full flair with talons out about 5 feet away when he saw "the rest of me" as I moved. He did a stall and fell off to my right like a parachuter does when they pull hard on one side and turn really tight. He went back to his original perch and watched me for another minute or two and then flew away.

It was both cool and scary at the same time.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    That's beautiful to watch at that speed & clarity. The owl's focus is razor-like.

The video was somewhat anti-climactic, though.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links