SPOT or satellite phone experience?

This is a discussion on SPOT or satellite phone experience? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone have any satellite phone experience? Obviously, they are expensive to buy (1Kish) and expense to talk on. I was mostly wondering about brands, bands, ...

Thread: SPOT or satellite phone experience?

VIP Member

Anyone have any satellite phone experience? Obviously, they are expensive to buy (1Kish) and expense to talk on. I was mostly wondering about brands, bands, and plans for them. If I had one it would be only for the CONUS with backpacking and traveling in desolate areas. Probably a great asset to have for a local emergency.

I've also read about SPOT satellite messenger, less expensive but basically only transmits your position. I wonder if they'll send text via satellites?

I need to do some more internet reading, but I'd also like to hear about anyone's real world experiences with either.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I believe you can send short messages on the SPOT, like "I'm ok" to others. If you're looking for emergency use only, look into the PLB's as well - more initial cost than SPOT, but no subscription fees.

I have used one for when I go off road on my motorcycle. They are part of the solution ( get help, locate me) but not the only or best. A lot of cell phones (RIM, Windows, iPhone, Android) can track you as well and a do not need a very $$ support plan every year. Look for a device called a PLB SPOT uses an non standard frequency as well. This year for my adventures I am using this. http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-Re...390852-3255425
    Last edited by Happypuppy; April 30th, 2012 at 03:52 AM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I have used ne for when I go off road on my motorcycle. They are part of the solution ( get help, locate me) but not the only or best. A lot of cell phones (RIM, Windows, iPhone, Android) can track you as well and a do not need a very $$ support plan every year. Look for a device called a PLB SPOT uses an non standard frequency as well. This year for my adventures I am using this. Amazon.com: ACR PLB-375 ResQLink+ Personal Locating Beacon with 406 MHz Floating PLB, Built-In GPS, Strobe and 121 MHz Homing Beacon: GPS & Navigation
    I do not know about the 406MHz freq but the 121Mhz is the Guard/Distress freq used by aircraft and will be picked by SARSat, which will pinpoint your position and alert rescue forces in your area.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

From what i've read about the spot is it will send short predetermined messages like mentioned above. With sat phones you get what you pay for. The
    cheaper ones that I've had some experience with are pretty slow to acquire a signal and were not completely reliable.

Use Spot, and like it. One, the mapping it does, so basically daughter, etc. knows where I am when I'm traveling and if I'm on the expected route, etc that was planned or not. Use it on motorcycle trips. At certain locations, can send the "OK" message to her email and text to her phone. If in trouble, they will know where you are, as well as it will send a message to anyone you've designated. Known of a couple of cases where someone went off the road, were injured and could not go for help, and then died out there.

Depends upon how you are using it, and how you want to use it. In my case, I often travel alone and I'm in real out of the way locations, etc.... and with SPOT , at least I know they can determine where I am and locate me, or I can signal for help in an emergency.

One thing I like about the "mapping " is, even if I never used the emergency notification, if they could not reach me, or contact me, etc..... they could go on line and see where I last was, when, etc... and call out the troops if they felt there was something questionable.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sponsored Links