Billy The Kid -farrotype photo

This is a discussion on Billy The Kid -farrotype photo within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading the new NRA mag I got in the mail and in the technical dept someone had asked about Billy the kid being ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By gunthorp
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Eagleks
  • 2 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By Spade115

Thread: Billy The Kid -farrotype photo

I was reading the new NRA mag I got in the mail and in the technical dept someone had asked about Billy the kid being left handed and how he is really right handed and the ferrotype photo is mirrored which by itself is fascinating and being the ONLY picture of him in existence just adds to the legend.

This is the amazing part “quoted from Wikipedia”
    “ The ferrotype sold at auction on June 25, 2011, in a three-day Western show. It was purchased for 2.3 million dollars, some six times the estimate. It was the most expensive piece ever sold at Brian Lebel's Annual Old West Show & Auction,[117] and the 6th most expensive photograph ever sold.”

The old west has always been a fascination of many but 2.3 million dollars makes you wonder if/when it sold again what will it be sold for and to whom?

VIP Member
    Interesting.

I wish there was only one picture of me out there.
    WHEC724, Mattmann and Spade115 like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Interesting.

LOL. I'm glad my 'stupid phase' was of the polaroid 'pre-internet' era. Can you imagine what Billy's facebook page would have looked like?
    shooterX and Rock and Glock like this.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Interesting.

So, where are all those pictures? In Post Offices?

VIP Member
    If it does like some very rare coins I have seen auctioned each subsequent sale will bring a higher price.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I believe purchased by William Koch..................

Hahahahaha .........
    William

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I believe purchased by William Koch..................
    Yep.

And Billy the Kid was "right" handed, that's been known for a long time, and the misprinting of the picture.

Did find a bit of "history" that several people are now reviewing related to Billy the Kid. It had been 'rumored' that Alex McSween's wife (Susan McSween) knew Evans, before all of this occurred and was close to him. Jessie Evans... worked for Murphy / Dolan , is the one who shot Tunstall, who also shot McSween in the shoot out at his house with Billy the Kid, and was their general "hit man" for the Murphy / Dolan faction (which was really Dolan as Murphy was sick and dying during the Lincoln County war) . IF she was on the Tunstall side, and her husband had been working for Tunstall, did her relationship (if there ever was one) ..... how Jessie Evans knew where Tunstall would be that day, have "inside" information, etc. that they seemed to have .... and no one knew how they knew it.

I saw a picture that someone had of Jessie Evans, and I thought the "woman " in it looked familiar and did some research. The people who had the picture, only knew the man was "Jessie Evans",. . .... the woman standing very close to him in the picture, looks "exactly" like pictures of Susan McSween when she was a bit younger. Exactly like her. Others (more credible historians of that area, era, people, etc) have now also reviewed it, etc. and came to the same conclusions. No woman took a picture with a man, unless they were extremely close , brother / sister, etc.

So ..... it does tie Susan McSween and Jessie Evans... and having a "close" relationship before she met Alex McSween, married him, and then moved to New Mexico with him. Was she even inadvertently giving info to Jessie Evans ? It appears to support the theories, or at least suggest there was much more there than people realized. Susan McSween lived in Kansas (where I am) , and is where she met Alex McSween when he was here related to some work he was doing.
    Gunrunner61 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Can you imagine what Billy's facebook page would have looked like?
    Billy the kid- BRB, headed over to Maxwell's. Got a surprise for him.

Sheriff Pat Garret likes this.

Sheriff Pat Garret- I love surprises.

Billy the Kid- WTH Sheriff, get off my page. Where you at these days?
    Spade115 and JoJoGunn like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

that would be intresting. :D lol

I told my girlfriend the day i die she's to be logging into my facebook and adding

"Too cramped shoulda opted for a bigger coffin...o.o"

Few days later of course

"Neighbors are makeing noise, left my gun to family...shoulda brought it....*&#$ kids on my lawn"
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    I had heard about the left-handed myth, apparently generated from the mirror image of that photo. The "experts" say he was surely right-handed but the photo is a bit tricky. The mirror image problems begins to reveal itself when they noticed his buttons and belt buckle were in the wrong position/direction, plus the loading gate on the rifle (Win. 1873) is on the wrong side of the receiver in the photo.

I'm certainly not the expert, just passing along what I remember reading. To me the loading gate is the clincher.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

thought i would post it
    barstoolguru likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Links