Are all PETA's anti-gunners?

This is a discussion on Are all PETA's anti-gunners? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When i think about those people, i think they are all anti-gunners.. Any PETA's in here can honestly say they are not anti-gunners?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Are all PETA's anti-gunners?

When i think about those people, i think they are all anti-gunners.. Any PETA's in here can honestly say they are not anti-gunners?

2. Remove Ads

interesting

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    PETA People Eating Tasty Animals? I am one. I am not anti gun.

some questions i would rather not see the answers too. ask yourself this, and you might have your answer.

Does PETA like hunting/hunters?
    msgt/ret likes this.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I'm sure it's a stereotype but I always view PETA members as modern hippies so I can't see them thinking is necessary to use a gun for anything.

I'm sure most of the hardcore PETA people are. While I am for treating animals with some degree of respect, there is a point where you have to realize that people are above critters in the order of things....except for dogs. Dogs are better than us all.

IMHO I believe that "true" PETA people are against killing anything,and are among the "Run Away" crowd instead of the defend yourself crowd. They seem to live in a fantasy world that if you just give them what they want they won't harm you.
    But I'm sure there are people that love animals and don't want to see them hurt,and when it comes to themselves and family feel the same way,and may have an unloaded gun in a closet or cupboard somewhere for SD and have no idea how little time they have to employ the weapon in a real situation.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't know about that but I have to be verrrrry careful. My miniature Dachshund is always threatening to call PETA with baseless charges.

Maybe... Probably... Not being a PETA member I can't say. What I do know is that being passionate about humane treatment of animals doesn't have to make one an anti gunner. I'd be proof of that. I despise cruelty and mistreatment of animals.
    tiwee likes this.

Well. I am not quite a PETA member. But I am a vegetarian (not vegan). Once in awhile when I do eat meat it is free range (about once every few months). Dairy and eggs organic. I agree with a lot of PETA but like everything else that can be good they have turned fanatical. I am opposed to hunting for the sport of it. Like paying a guide money and travelling 1000 miles so you can put a trophy on your wall I am opposed to. No problems with folks hunting for food. Sooo, do I own guns?

Duh! I have over 20. I know a lot of folks like me (wife and others) that are the same. So we are out there. To answer your question:card carrying members of PETA-NO
    tiwee and wmhawth like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Well. I am not quite a PETA member. But I am a vegetarian (not vegan). Once in awhile when I do eat meat it is free range (about once every few months). Dairy and eggs organic. I agree with a lot of PETA but like everything else that can be good they have turned fanatical. I am opposed to hunting for the sport of it. Like paying a guide money and travelling 1000 miles so you can put a trophy on your wall I am opposed to. No problems with folks hunting for food. Sooo, do I own guns?

Duh! I have over 20. I know a lot of folks like me (wife and others) that are the same. So we are out there. To answer your question:card carrying members of PETA-NO
    In most African safaris, the meat is given as payment to the PH's (professional hunters's) help. The meat feeds his family or is sold in the local market. Hunting provides jobs and food for the local population. It also helps protect populations of the animals. When the animals have legal economic value that benefits the local people, the local people have a reason to help control poachers. Also, the trophies fees help offset damage that the animals do to crops. When the farmers cannot make money from trophy fees, they would rather destroy the animals to protect their crops.
    Caertaker and beararms like this.

How do you expect them to protect lab rats from evil scientists? A letter-writing campaign?

I kid, I kid.

I think a person in PETA could find many uses of guns to be distasteful while still enjoying the concepts of guns. I'm pro-human, but often wonder at the anti-human attributes of a firearm I'm admiring.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    In most African safaris, the meat is given as payment to the PH's (professional hunters's) help. The meat feeds his family or is sold in the local market. Hunting provides jobs and food for the local population. It also helps protect populations of the animals. When the animals have legal economic value that benefits the local people, the local people have a reason to help control poachers. Also, the trophies fees help offset damage that the animals do to crops. When the farmers cannot make money from trophy fees, they would rather destroy the animals to protect their crops.
    You are looking at an end result. I am talking about why a hunter travels thousands of miles to hunt. I do not beleive most do it to be these great samaritans. They are doing it for sport. If they want to be great samaritans they could donate money and training so the local people can fend for themselves. Ya know, give a man a fish, you feed him for the day, teach him how to fish you feed him for a lifetime. These hunters are going for sport and a trophy first. I would be more than happy to donate a rifle to these folks who would hunt for themselves.
    Also, the whole thing about hunters helping out the over population of deer and other animals and how it is good for them all I can say is I have never heard of a hunter, wake up early in the morning, get his son out of bed and toss him a rifle and say 'come on Junior, we need to go help the deer out there by hunting.
    Don't get me wrong. I said if you are hunting for the SOLE purpose of food I have zero problems. And it does help with over population. But hunters do not do it for that primary reason.

Mot all members are anti-gun or even anti hunting. Some do not fully understand the extremism of the groups leaders. I personally have known members who believed that PETA was not out to stop ethical use of animals but was only trying to stop needless torture of animals. I'm a hunter and former trapper and I support the idea of ethical treatment. I believe in quick humane kills for that reason. I have killed livestock but did it in the quickest most humane way possible. I might consider being a member myself if it were not for the radical side of the group. Who among us isn't for the humane treatment of animals?

Many of these groups depend on the fact that most donors do not fully understand what their donations are used for.
    Just look at how many NRA members are also AARP members. They think that the AARP is a fine organization who's only interest is in offering lost cost insurance for seniors. They do not know the anti-gun leftist side of the group.

Michael
    beararms likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You are looking at an end result. I am talking about why a hunter travels thousands of miles to hunt. I do not beleive most do it to be these great samaritans. They are doing it for sport. If they want to be great samaritans they could donate money and training so the local people can fend for themselves. Ya know, give a man a fish, you feed him for the day, teach him how to fish you feed him for a lifetime. These hunters are going for sport and a trophy first. I would be more than happy to donate a rifle to these folks who would hunt for themselves.
    Also, the whole thing about hunters helping out the over population of deer and other animals and how it is good for them all I can say is I have never heard of a hunter, wake up early in the morning, get his son out of bed and toss him a rifle and say 'come on Junior, we need to go help the deer out there by hunting.
    Don't get me wrong. I said if you are hunting for the SOLE purpose of food I have zero problems. And it does help with over population. But hunters do not do it for that primary reason.
    Those people hunting for themselves is what caused many animal populations to decline or dissappear. Too many people took whatever animals they could and sold the parts that they could make a quick buck off of. You may not want to trophy hunt, but it provides food and jobs while protecting species. You don't buy your car to give an auto worker a job, but because you buy a car an auto worker can provide for his family. Check out SCI and the Wild Turkey Federation.

I know many hunters who do have the species' interest in mind. QDMA programs use biology to determine how many deer can live in an area. Quotas are calculated every year solely to maintain the herd.

Hunter conservation groups have done more for animal populations than PETA ever will.
    Last edited by phreddy; April 30th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typos
    tiwee likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links