'Nam Vet Observation.

'Nam Vet Observation.

This is a discussion on 'Nam Vet Observation. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today I observed that all the 'Nam Vet's that I see and know, me excepted, seem to be getting old. Hmmmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Nam Vet Observation.

'Nam Vet Observation.

Today I observed that all the 'Nam Vet's that I see and know, me excepted, seem to be getting old. Hmmmm
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Assistant Administrator
    ''Me excepted''??? You mean you ain't gettin older??

I think back to guys of 18 in 1965 - and of course they are approaching 60 now!! A great many too I have come across are justifiably bitter still, at the way they have been treated along the way.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Today I observed that all the 'Nam Vet's that I see and know, me excepted, seem to be getting old. Hmmmm
    Not true, I'm actually getting younger!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    My dad did 3 tours in Nam.

The things is, these kids growing up nowadays, know little about it and could care less.

My wife teaches ninth grade and has 150 students. Maybe a dozen or so know anything about Vietnam, and its only from what their grandfathers have taught them. The history book that she teaches from has one little paragraph in it about it. Thats revisionist history for you. It teaches little in the way of history and spends more time celebrating diversity and globalism teaching all about how to become a good global citizenand all other BS that dont matter.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Me I am not getting older! I get yonger every day. What's that you say, that it is senility . Can't be possible, Just cause I play in the dirt.
    It's called Farming. Besides it is easier to walk on my knees, and I am not crawling. Hey where is my Cane?

I'm a Vet though too young to have been in Nam. I enlisted in 78.
    Two of my best friends were there as Combat Marines. These guys are my closest friends.

How many of you guys belong to one of the organizations to adopt our troops? I do, I write and send packages.

Only one thing I can say to you Nam Vets and all other Vets............
    Thanks!

How many of you guys belong to one of the organizations to adopt our troops?
    I dont belong to any organizations. But I just got my cousins Email, and postal address. He is too buisy to chech his Emails ATM. I plan on geting him a pre-pay cellphone, and whatever he or anyone he knows needs/wants.

I may even join one of the organisations also. Not everyone over there has such a cool cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    A great many too I have come across are justifiably bitter still, at the way they have been treated along the way.
    Trust me, it isn't just the Vietnam vets that have been mistreated. Vets before and after fall soundly in the same situation. True for my WWII father and his combat related injuries and some stunts they've pulled on me. Sad how a country that needs us so bad treats us later.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    My dad did 3 tours in Nam.

The things is, these kids growing up nowadays, know little about it and could care less.

My wife teaches ninth grade and has 150 students. Maybe a dozen or so know anything about Vietnam, and its only from what their grandfathers have taught them. The history book that she teaches from has one little paragraph in it about it. Thats revisionist history for you. It teaches little in the way of history and spends more time celebrating diversity and globalism teaching all about how to become a good global citizenand all other BS that dont matter.
    Wow, the books that I have taught out of devote AT LEAST one chapter to it.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

No, I am NOT getting older.

Told the family when I was turning 50 that if they wanted to party, they'd better go for it, as I wasn't counting anymore after that.

'Nam 66-67.

Still 50.

Bob

1968, Returning from Nam, port of entry San Francisco, Worst experience of my life. I have not cared for california since then.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

"Nam Vets (As well as all Vets): Thank you all for your service to our country! A majority of us feel the same way I do, although I never served, and never went to 'Nam. A lot of friends of mine did, and I told them that then.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    "Nam Vets (As well as all Vets): Thank you all for your service to our country! A majority of us feel the same way I do, although I never served, and never went to 'Nam. A lot of friends of mine did, and I told them that then.
    AMEN Brother!

I just want to say that you men did a hell of a job. Many thanks to all that served!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    I remember being in middle school when at lunch time somehow the topic of Viet Nam came up.

"My dad was in that war," I said.

One of my friends looked at me with a cool, condescending look that I'll never forget and said, "It wasn't a war. It was a police action."

I couldn't respond to it. I just couldn't. I was so doggone mad either I had to zip my lips or smack her over the head with my lunch tray.

Quite frankly, I don't care if it's declared war by Congress or not. The piles of bodies and all the shootin' say it's a war.

I wanted her to look my dad square in the eye, and my mother square in the eye, and tell them it wasn't a war.

My dad came back alive, thanks to all those who died.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    I remember being in middle school when at lunch time somehow the topic of Viet Nam came up.

"My dad was in that war," I said.

One of my friends looked at me with a cool, condescending look that I'll never forget and said, "It wasn't a war. It was a police action."

I couldn't respond to it. I just couldn't. I was so doggone mad either I had to zip my lips or smack her over the head with my lunch tray.

Quite frankly, I don't care if it's declared war by Congress or not. The piles of bodies and all the shootin' say it's a war.

I wanted her to look my dad square in the eye, and my mother square in the eye, and tell them it wasn't a war.

My dad came back alive, thanks to all those who died.

I don't think I could have delt with that, my father was an Air Force fire fighter during the WAR, he had it good, after coming home from Iraq I've net alot of Vietnam veterans, and I have to say this, my worst day in Iraq had to have been better than the best days in the jungle.

My hat is off the the servicemen from that era, I can't begin to comprehend the struggle and hardship of fighting in that enviroment, all I had to worry about was RPGs and spitting camels.

One of my co-workers uncles unit was the repeated victim of a tiger that was carrying off troops in the night.

That I can't imagine, it wasn't just the NVA or VC they had to fight, it was the whole damn place.

God bless the veterans of all wars.

I'm probably getting this quote quote wrong but anyway:
    "Freedom has a cost that the protected will never know."

I can't think of any truer words than that, even today I hear people saying that we shouldn't be "There" and it makes me cringe.

When I forst returned home I overheard two girls discussing Comunism and saying how it's a "Good idea" and that if done right it would be better than democracy.

So here I am in a resturant, high and tight, USMC flight jacket, Kevlar tan lines on my "Grape," you wnat to know what I said?

"How many communist countries have you visited? If this were a communist country I could kill you for talking about democracy and get a medal."

Thier conversation along that topic was over after that I'm pleased to say...

What's going wrong with this country?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links