An Observation...

An Observation...

This is a discussion on An Observation... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I posted this to my FB page a while back, thought I would added it here as well. This isn't meant to be strictly in ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By paaiyan
  • 2 Post By QKShooter

Thread: An Observation...

An Observation...

I posted this to my FB page a while back, thought I would added it here as well. This isn't meant to be strictly in reference to politics, it can be applied to any issue or discussion.

When one group or individual makes derogatory comments about another group or individual with a differing opinion, view point, or philosophy, the only thing that is achieved is a complete loss of all credibility. Any legitimate or intelligent contribution to any discussion becomes meaningless!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I posted this to my FB page a while back, thought I would added it here as well. This isn't meant to be strictly in reference to politics, it can be applied to any issue or discussion.

When one group or individual makes derogatory comments about another group or individual with a differing opinion, view point, or philosophy, the only thing that is achieved is a complete loss of all credibility. Any legitimate or intelligent contribution to any discussion becomes meaningless!

Agreed. Opinions are worth debating, but not fighting over. :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

That's stupid. Your opinion is inferior.

mlr1m, Spade115, Badey and 1 others like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post

That's stupid. Your opinion is inferior.

Saying one's opinion is inferior (and I know you're joking) isn't what I mean. When someone resorts to name calling or any other form of insult nothing is accomplished. The amount of back and forth fighting happening in congress over the past 4 years is a prime example, and who suffers? We do! How can we move forward as a country if this sort of thing continues?

:SNIP:
    When you either do not have the facts on your side or are to lazy to look them up attacking the person is the only other option.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    When you either do not have the facts on your side or are to lazy to look them up attacking the person is the only other option.

Michael
    Yes this is often the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Or the attempt is not to debate, but belittle or demean the other side into silence. I firmly believe there are folks that give lip service to coming together, compromise, and working for the common good. But their actions tell me they have zero interest in any opinion but theirs. And if they can level an accusation or name at you that is inflammatory enough maybe you will shut up and go away. And as to not get too far off the deep end, I'll leave those accusations and names to your imagination.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Well with Congress - we only suffer when they are not fighting.

I love it when they are not accomplishing anything.

When they "work together" and they all "get along" to pass more laws that's when We The People always pay the ultimate price.

I would love to tell these folks running for Congress....

"I'll vote for you if you promise me that you'll go to Washington and just sleep, eat, and watch TV all the time."
    Doghandler and TheShadow like this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Saying one's opinion is inferior (and I know you're joking) isn't what I mean. When someone resorts to name calling or any other form of insult nothing is accomplished. The amount of back and forth fighting happening in congress over the past 4 years is a prime example, and who suffers? We do! How can we move forward as a country if this sort of thing continues?
    Can you say "ad hominem"? Typically, this is what the weakest debater will resort to when losing an argument.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member

I agree with your point, and do my best (although not always successful) to censor and wordsmith my opinion, as my true feelings are sometimes ruthless.

However, to the extent that we can tolerate a post that steps over the line, but still makes a coherent point, I believe we are better off in the diversity of the information gathered throughout the discussion.

Of course, that doesn't mean that I still won't think that somebody is a complete idiot, but at least I've been able to consider their honest and differing viewpoint (whether politely presented or not), before disregarding it.

What bugs me is when people jump to a different area or bring up something irrelevant and act as if that proves you wrong.

Like when the subject of a certain legislation comes up and you explain why it would be harmful if it was voted into law. Instead of providing a counterargument they say, well the blank bill was passed last year and it was a terrible idea.

It's probably best to start off all diatribes with a qualifying statement.

Sponsored Links